What's new

Joseph Rogers & Sons Straight Razor . thinking about buying . good buy or no ?

Looks nice from the pictures I would question the age I'm guessing more like early to mid 1900? Doesn't change the fact it would be a great razor in near new condition

thank you. The condition did look nice and I asked the seller and they said it was in great condition as per their observation, that they too werent very knowledgable on razors so i just wanted to get some second eyes on it before i bought it. so thank you very much. I here these are good for someones collection ... yes ? My daughter said he was looking for a joseph rogers with the their majesties and this has that.

Pretty razor. I certainly wouldn't complain about being gifted a pristine razor by a good maker. I am happy to pay for rust and the subsequent absorption of heavy metals in killing said corrosion, usually.

If the scales are celluloid, just make sure from the seller that the razor is closing into them evenly without having to be guided in. I wouldn't worry about cell rot with black celluloid, but you should get true scales for the money.

"Cutlers to THEIR Majesties" means it was made in Victoria's reign.... Hence 1901 or earlier - And post 1890 as Hees stated.

Love Joseph Rodgers & Sons razors.... I have 5 now - hoping to make a 7 day set when I see some more good ones.

This one looks good condition, but I'd say £50 was a little pricy, although not by a large margin.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Don't be afraid to make an "offer" that is less than asking price on etsy. The sellers there will often take less from my experience. Offer $50 and see what happens. I think you can pickup like razors for around this price point especially on that site.

Don't be afraid to make an "offer" that is less than asking price on etsy. The sellers there will often take less from my experience. Offer $50 and see what happens. I think you can pickup like razors for around this price point especially on that site.
+1 to Mike's advice. He's been on a buying binge lately and has the most current knowledge. Thats not a particularly rare razor but the one in the ad is in especially good shape and it's a high quality product. I'd buy that over any of the current production Dovos for twice that amount. Plus, as a gift, it looks newer than most vintage razors. Not everyone likes shaving with something that looks "old" and that doesn't.

Nice find. Be aware that by posting it here, someone else may buy it first though that's a pretty crappy thing to do.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
.........He's been on a buying binge lately........

That is an understatement if there ever was one. I still only have 3 straights in service now though! The rest are coming from all over the world ( and many of them will go "straight" back out the door soon!

+1 on 1890-1901 IF it says "their majesties" and is also stamped England. I couldn't see it in the pics but that was in the description. I got one also as my first straight from eBay for ~35 if I remember correctly. Which I heard was a score.

"Cutlers to THEIR Majesties" means it was made in Victoria's reign.... Hence 1901 or earlier - And post 1890 as Hees stated.

Love Joseph Rodgers & Sons razors.... I have 5 now - hoping to make a 7 day set when I see some more good ones.

This one looks good condition, but I'd say £50 was a little pricy, although not by a large margin.
Thank you sir. I've just read you comment on dating a j. Rodgers razor. I've just found 3 razors on a local market. A Rodgers, a W. Coward. And a Mitchell's from Manchester. Got the three for 5 pounds. Thanks to you I have now been able to date the Rodgers. Thanks for your help. Very new to all this.

Top Bottom