What's new

Joseph Elliot Best Silver Steel. What would you do

B06DC512-E4D1-439F-B102-EBA257DE5600.jpeg
DF9D8880-BB9D-4A3A-9D58-674E36653239.jpeg
got this one as part of my big yard sale find. It seems to be all original, dried out bone scales and lots of surface rust. But the blade seems intact.

These seem to be fairly desirable, am I correct.

As I’ve never restored one, what would your approach be on this one? And it’s it worth it.

Thanks

Why not give it a try and see what happens. You would gain some good experience in the restoration process even if it doesn't turn out great.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Why not give it a try and see what happens. You would gain some good experience in the restoration process even if it doesn't turn out great.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I agree with @Lightcs1776 it is not terribly rare or a huge size, so if you muck it up, you won’t be crying in your beer about it. Looks like a great old blade to start out on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with @Lightcs1776 it is not terribly rare or a huge size, so if you muck it up, you won’t be crying in your beer about it. Looks like a great old blade to start out on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. I’m assuming start with sandpaper? Or would you soak in a rust removal mixture diluted with water??

You have a couple of threads going on these razors and you have nice scores to play with. Yard sales and antique shops around here suck :001_302:

If it were mine, I would start with 0000 steel wool and a polish - Flitz is what I keep around. You aren't trying to polish at this stage, just remove active rust.

Then, see what you have to work with.

Good project!

Id soak the blade in evaporust to first it will loosen all of it off and make it easier. Fill blemishes in scales with super glue and sand smooth. Then soak scales in neatsfoot to rehydrate them.

Id soak the blade in evaporust to first it will loosen all of it off and make it easier. Fill blemishes in scales with super glue and sand smooth. Then soak scales in neatsfoot to rehydrate them.

That’s a great tip on the super glue! I’ll have to try that.

Top Bottom