What's new

Joseph Allen

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I won this Joseph Allen on a local auction a week ago. Was hoping to have it by now but the seller has just sent payment details. It is the holidays after all, so while I am waiting I will show and ask for any info on this razor.

It's a Joseph Allen & Sons, Sheffield, England. Hard to see in the picture but looks like it is stamped NON X (something).

$J Allen straight.jpg

Legion

Staff member
It will be stamped Non Xll. I once had a NOS Joseph Allen. It looked like a nice razor, but I never honed or used it, as I wanted to keep it NOS. It's been released back into the wild now.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
They are nice, I have a few. I enjoy them very much.
good to hear. I have not seen much about this maker.

It will be stamped Non Xll. I once had a NOS Joseph Allen. It looked like a nice razor, but I never honed or used it, as I wanted to keep it NOS. It's been released back into the wild now.
I don't know if I could hold a razor and not use it. curiosity would get the better of me.

Joseph Allen & Sons
1864 - 1925
The non-xll trademark was purchased from Unwin & Rodgers in 1884.
Since the razor is stamped Sheffield, England, it would have been made after 1890 (See Mckinley Tariff Act and Madrid Accord).
That can be confirmed if the other side of the tang has Ecclesal Works or Rockingham Street stamped on it since Allen moved there in 1891.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Mine has been sitting in the to do pile to refresh the edge. Not sure why but I keep honing others in front of it.....until today.
Just taken it for a full Nagura progression on the Jnat.

Top Bottom