What's new

Joris

I'm coveting a Joris razor (they're beautiful IMO) but am a bit concerned about it's aggressiveness. How does it compare with a Muhle R-41 (open comb)? And, do the Joris' only come in only open comb or do they have a straight edge version somewhere?
Thanks in advance for any input.

I'm coveting a Joris razor (they're beautiful IMO) but am a bit concerned about it's aggressiveness. How does it compare with a Muhle R-41 (open comb)? And, do the Joris' only come in only open comb or do they have a straight edge version somewhere?
Thanks in advance for any input.

Mine is very aggressive, similar to the new R-41.

It's not quite aggressive as the R41, but almost. Take your time with it or it will bite. The worst cut I ever received shaving was from my Joris while trying ATG on my chin. It's gorgeous, though, and very well made.

It's a face mangler for sure. I loved mine but ultimately sold it for this reason. I don't care how beautiful a razor is - if I can't shave with it without excessive bloodletting, it isn't worth my time.

It is aggressive, but watch the tolerances. Mine aligned naturally with one side having substantially more blade exposure than the other, and it was constant cuts. From suggestions of one board member I was able to correct this disparity by holding the blade more to one side while screwing the top on. Even though I get much less cuts now, it is still aggressive and gives some irritation every time I shave against the grain with it. I don't have an R41 to compare it to, but I'd imagine that the joris is much more of a crapshoot due to quality control of the heads(Vendor stated this is normal for joris, and offered zero help other than telling me learn how to use it). The upside, is that it is a beautiful razor.

I have found that they are marginally less aggressive than the 2011 R41. Around Christmas I got a Joris and it was a rough shave (ultimately BBS no doubt). I had to return it and in the meantime received an R41. Much, much more careful with that one. I then got back my Joris and felt I had more room for error. So I think if you can handle the R41, you can definitely handle the Joris. It only comes in open comb model.

It is aggressive, but watch the tolerances. Mine aligned naturally with one side having substantially more blade exposure than the other, and it was constant cuts. From suggestions of one board member I was able to correct this disparity by holding the blade more to one side while screwing the top on. Even though I get much less cuts now, it is still aggressive and gives some irritation every time I shave against the grain with it. I don't have an R41 to compare it to, but I'd imagine that the joris is much more of a crapshoot due to quality control of the heads(Vendor stated this is normal for joris, and offered zero help other than telling me learn how to use it). The upside, is that it is a beautiful razor.

I too noticed that about the tolerances. Unsatisfactory in any razor, especially at this price.

I have shaved with both and I don't the Joris is nearly as aggressive as the 2011 R41. The Joris is on the aggressive side as far as open combs go, but the 2011 R41 is in a league of its own.

the shave is similar, as others have noted. The R41 ratchets up the aggressiveness a touch more over the Joris--If the Joris is a 10, the R41 is an 11. After shaving with a Joris for over a year, I found that no mater how careful I was, I would always get a cut with the R41. I just could not get the hang of it. In the end, I find the Joris much more fun to shave with; the R41 was more efficient to be sure, but the Joris is much more enjoyable.

P

pdillon

I would say the Joris is closer in aggressiveness to a NEW than to an R41. I have really been enjoying the Joris.

What do others think of the NEW comparison?

Besides the Goodfella, those are the only combs I have tried. Are there any other open combs similar to the Joris? Maybe the Merkur 1904 or a 2010 R41?

I just received my second Joris and it's an amazingly beautiful instrument. Even the case is the nicest of any razor I have ever owned.

I am not sure why my experience is different from what I have read from other guys, but the Joris is the most aggressive razor I own (more so than the R41) and gives absolutely the best, closest shaves of any razor. And for the record, yes, I do need to play around with the blade to make sure it's properly aligned.

The Gillette NEW is a much milder razor than the Joris or the R41. If you want a more aggressive vintage razor, I'd recommend a Gillette OLD w/short comb.

$joris 1.jpg$joris 2.jpg$joris box 1.jpg$joris open.jpg

It's a face mangler for sure. I loved mine but ultimately sold it for this reason. I don't care how beautiful a razor is - if I can't shave with it without excessive bloodletting, it isn't worth my time.

Face mangler; I would say the R41 matches that description. And since the Joris uses (I believe) the same razor head ...

the shave is similar, as others have noted. The R41 ratchets up the aggressiveness a touch more over the Joris--If the Joris is a 10, the R41 is an 11. After shaving with a Joris for over a year, I found that no mater how careful I was, I would always get a cut with the R41. I just could not get the hang of it. In the end, I find the Joris much more fun to shave with; the R41 was more efficient to be sure, but the Joris is much more enjoyable.

Try the NYS Mariner. I think I like it better than my R41.

Top Bottom