What's new

Joris Quality (Or Lack Thereof)

I had been lusting for a Joris razor for some time, and I finally decided to pull the trigger on one. It arrived today and all I can say is, "What the Hell???" There is a visible outline of the center stud showing through the cap (looks worse in person), the bottom plate is unpolished and rough looking, and the head is totally effed up. You name it -- crooked here, crooked there, uneven blade gaps, and crooked alignment pins.

I know every company makes a bad product from time to time, but how does something this poor looking pass through the factory QC as well as the vendor QC?

What an amazing piece of palladium plated crap.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
That is sad, the vendor should make it right though .. let us know in case someone else is considering one of these

My Joris has less than stellar plating under the head as well, but everything else about it is great. I was really upset about it until I shaved with it a few times and discovered it gives one of the best shaves of any of my razors.

You might ask the company if the head is manufactured from cast zinc alloy. Manufacturers who use that material claim it allows more precision in casting. Your detailed and convincing photos of your razor defy that claim.

They say you get what you pay for, I never knew imperfections cost so much nowadays.

Send it back, because that looks like a junker, and it's sad because you would expect perfect from top to bottom.

I've only heard great things about the Joris, find myself sitting on the fence about picking one up for some time now. I would talk to the vendor and look into an exchange or a return. I'll be honest, I'm a little surprised at this particular razor, I've always admired the workmanship on these razors...

Just came across this thread from http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/348025-Disappointed-with-service-amp-quality-from-Joris

The "visible outline of the center stud showing through the cap" is also present on my Joris. This is not surprising given that Joris simply take a Fatip head and replate it (though how successful Joris' replating is is open to debate). That visible center stud outline is also present on my Fatip razors - however, given my Fatip razors cost about $25 new it never really bothered me. But when something costs $160 (i.e the Joris razor) and such a flaw is readily apparent, yeah it bothers me.

It wouldn't surprise me if the razor department of Joris is simply a one-man-band operation that takes Fatip heads, replates them, outsources pretty handles, and then charges a premium for the final product.

Hi rbiz17, welcome to B&B! Glad to see your first post!

Please head over to our Hall of Fame and introduce your self. You might also want to post in our Shave Clinic & Newbie Check-In. There are a bunch of great folks in there, and it's a real blast! Come on over!!:thumbup:

Just came across this thread from http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/348025-Disappointed-with-service-amp-quality-from-Joris

The "visible outline of the center stud showing through the cap" is also present on my Joris. This is not surprising given that Joris simply take a Fatip head and replate it (though how successful Joris' replating is is open to debate). That visible center stud outline is also present on my Fatip razors - however, given my Fatip razors cost about $25 new it never really bothered me. But when something costs $160 (i.e the Joris razor) and such a flaw is readily apparent, yeah it bothers me.

It wouldn't surprise me if the razor department of Joris is simply a one-man-band operation that takes Fatip heads, replates them, outsources pretty handles, and then charges a premium for the final product.

i have 3 joris and 5 fatips. not one of my fatips have the circle on them but every joris i have has it. joris is really plisson they are def not a one man company.

I don't think anyone was "Bitchin" about a vendor,it seems like the bitchin is about the Razor and its lack of quality, lets face it, that razors overal quality is shamefully crap.

+1I see no mention of any vendor just pointing out QC issues. This is like the 3,4,5,6th time I've read about their QC issues. I wonder if someone bought them out and whoever took over is running the company on the cheap while profiting on it's reputation while they can then flip it to an unsuspecting buyer. Sorry to here that Ras. Looks to me like 2013? Is going to be a bad year for Joris. Now that EJ Chatsworth! Whoowee! What a beaut!

+1I see no mention of any vendor just pointing out QC issues. This is like the 3,4,5,6th time I've read about their QC issues. I wonder if someone bought them out and whoever took over is running the company on the cheap while profiting on it's reputation while they can then flip it to an unsuspecting buyer. Sorry to here that Ras. Looks to me like 2013? Is going to be a bad year for Joris. Now that EJ Chatsworth! Whoowee! What a beaut!
It may be a bad batch or some other factors, i hope it gets resolved for the sake of the razor and users. It really does shave great.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I don't think you can patent a DE razor spec these days. Does anyone think contacting Edwin Jagger or other current high quality maker to simply copy this head and do it right would work? I had one unimpressive experience with a FaTip Grande and my Ikon handle did not fit it at all, and I'm not going to try any more.

But if EJ or Muhle put out this head and I had confidence I could just load it up and it would center like my Gillette NEW long comb, I might try it again.

I got one recently due to clearance pricing. I can see part of the center screw outline, pretty faintly, through the plating as well. Other than that I see no flaws. My Fatip Grande is flawless except for that same outline, more pronounced. The center screw fits all 4 of the aftermarket handles I've tried.... it lives with a Tradere handle.

I haven't shaved with the Joris yet. I think one advantage, at least I hope, over the Jagger/Chatsworth is that the head is brass.

Last edited:
Top Bottom