What's new

JORIS DE Tour Thread

I'm still not 100% convinced that Fatip & Joris use the same head. There is definitely more blade exposed on my Joris than my Fatip and my personal experience is that the Joris is more aggressive. The heads DO look almost exactly alike, but from the end view, the bottom piece of the Joris's head seems a bit thicker. The difference may simply be that Joris's chrome is thicker - Fatip's chrome is so thin it looks watery to me.

I'm still not 100% convinced that Fatip & Joris use the same head. There is definitely more blade exposed on my Joris than my Fatip and my personal experience is that the Joris is more aggressive. The heads DO look almost exactly alike, but from the end view, the bottom piece of the Joris's head seems a bit thicker. The difference may simply be that Joris's chrome is thicker - Fatip's chrome is so thin it looks watery to me.
I'm in agreement--they are not the same head. Close, perhaps even very close--but not the same. The shave is similar, of course.

Something else I noticed today--the topcaps on my FaTips are both slightly different. The Nickel plated version seems to have a shallower channel in the top cap. I'll try positing a pic later.

I'm in agreement--they are not the same head. Close, perhaps even very close--but not the same. The shave is similar, of course.
Something else I noticed today--the topcaps on my FaTips are both slightly different. The Nickel plated version seems to have a shallower channel in the top cap. I'll try positing a pic later.

There is a thread somewhere in this forum where someone who had both razors took a picture that had a view looking at both razors from the side (perpendicular to the shaving side) and it is quite apparent that they are not the same head. I wish I could find the pic but no joy at the moment...

Joris: Shave #2 (Sunday)
I had plenty of time for shaving this morning, which can be a rare treat! Alas, however, the planets must have not been in line or the Shaving Gods were not smiling on me as I my shaving mojo was all messed up. So to start my 3 pass shave, I blew making a good lather from my QCS Basilica which rarely gives me problems. This being out of sync continued as I was shaving as I was having difficulty finding and maintaining a good razor angle, even with the great audible feedback that the Joris gives when the angle is "on". I also had some difficulty with shaving those tough to get whiskers that are right below the nostrils as I just couldn't get the blade in there at a good cutting angle, thus it was rather more like scraping. My lower neck gave me a lot of trouble this morning as well. The whiskers there are flat against the skin and grow pointing to my chin ...right awkward! I had trouble with achieving a good blade angle with the Joris here and ended up nicking my self twice in this area. So in rating this shave I would say (on a scale of 1 through 10):

Comfort: 7
Closeness: 8
Enjoyment: 8.5

On the plus side of this shave is that I continued to find the Joris being really comfortable in my hand ...the handle length and shape really work for me. I also really like the texture of the the handle material as well. Also, given the great amount of blade exposed, I still found the Joris giving a comfortable shave.

Last edited:
There is a thread somewhere in this forum where someone who had both razors took a picture that had a view looking at both razors from the side (perpendicular to the shaving side) and it is quite apparent that they are not the same head. I wish I could find the pic but no joy at the moment...

Wanted to follow up on my comments made above. Sitting next to me as I type this is a Joris and a FaTip razor. Comparing the heads of the two, I find that they are nearly identical. The only difference that I can see is that the blade cap on the Joris is just a tad bit narrower and a tad bit taller than the one of the FaTip. The base to the heads are identical in shape and dimension.

I'll have to wait until later tonight before I can post a review, but first shave was fantastic. Definitely a razor that needs a bit of respect (one small nick).

Joris : Shave #3 &4

I'm just going to summarize shaves 3 & 4 as they were pretty much the same. Both were 3 pass shaves (WTG, XTG, & ATG). I was able to figure out how to shave those whiskers that are at the edge of the nostrils with comfort, which if I hadn't, it would have been a deal breaker. This positive step lead to others: now with more shaves under my belt with the Joris, I'm able to find the correct blade angle with out trouble, again thanks to the great audible feedback. The great ballance that this razor has also helps in maintaining a light touch and provide great maneuverability, as I was able to "scythe" or "J hook" several problem areas on my neck with comfort while getting rid of all but a hint of stubble while maintaining a comfortable shave.

Bottom line is that I really like the Joris. It will be very hard to part with it. I have received some very close shaves with a good comfort and I just simply enjoy shaving with this razor. I would buy a Joris immediately, but I've been bit by the Str8 razor bug and am planning to get started shaving with str8's as soon as my razors get back from the honemeister. Thanks to texbilly, sullybob, and bong for putting this tour together as well as those who participated in the tour in sharing their thoughts! I will be shipping the package out tomorrow. Cheers!

Wow, I'm loving this razor. Except for a small area in my neck (which is usually a difficult spot for me anyways) everything else is BBS.

Aggressive enough for my taste. As someone with bigger hands I love the longer handle and all over weight. The head is a lot lighter than for example on my Futur, gives it a nice nimble feeling. I prefer the slightly thinner head of the Joris as well, makes it easier to access the area just below my nostrils. Overall, the size, weight and feel of this razor seems to suit me really well, I'm looking forward to more shaves.

You guys outdid yourselves with the samples as well. There's a couple of blades I'd like to try, although for now I've sticked to yellow 7 O'Clock Gillettes so I have a known factor.

Haven't been able to try the Fatip yet, but I will give that one at least one shave (I'm tending to razors with longer handles period).

Looks like the tour will end soon and I appreciate everyone taking care of the team's gear! Once the boxes return and I speak with Shawn and Bong, I'll come back with an an "update".
Also - great writeups, Guys! :cowboy:

Last edited:
Yesterday I experimented with a blade doesn't usually work for me: Feather. With the feedback I get from the Joris it has to be the best shave I've gotten out of a feather.

Today's combo was a winner though: Astra SP and MWF soap. I've been rubbing my face all day :lol:

Perfect BBS. I think what really makes it work it the heaver weight, longer handle but relatively lighter head (compared to my Futur). I think I'll stick to the Astras the rest of the trial just to enjoy the smooth shaves this razor is giving me.

My favorite setup - glad it's working for you!!

Great results with a green 7 o'clock gillette today as well.

But.... there's a problem.... my alum doesn't seem to work anymore :lol:

Great shave today with Tabac soap. Insanely smooth shaves every time, especially now that I've spent some time with it. Oddly I tend to hold this razor a lot closer to the head than my other ones (Futur and ED89).

Well, Package #2 is back in Texas. Thanks to everyone for taking care of the gear and for the generous contributions to the box! More later....

Top Bottom