What's new

JORIS DE Tour Thread

P

pdillon

As I said in PM, it's no sweat off my back. I came to this party VERY late, so I'm just happy to be included. Thanks LittleLebowski!

I think I included (might have the brand transposed on the creams): GFT rose cream and TOBS sandalwood cream. Both are over 50%, probably closer to 75%. The EJ sandalwood soap puck is in the EJ plastic container and there's plenty of it left. also threw in some Voshkod blades and some 7AM Gillette green blades.

My thanks for being included on this! The Joris was a bit mild for my taste but I enjoyed trying it and the samples of shaving gear I had never tried before.

P

pdillon

First shave with the Joris on two days of stubble: I am a fan. Loaded with a Derby blade and had great results. The audible feedback on the razor was great. Definitely less aggressive than the r41, but Joris can easily get the job done and I found it more comfortable. I have only had my long comb new for about a week but I have had a better first experience with the Joris. I am definitely looking forward to getting to know it a bit better.

Today I switched out the winter software for the spring: cella, tabac as, and my aos sandalwood set went into the closet. Out came la toja manantiales, speick cream, 4711 as, and the veg. Should be a good week indeed.

First shave with the Joris on two days of stubble: I am a fan. Loaded with a Derby blade and had great results. The audible feedback on the razor was great. Definitely less aggressive than the r41, but Joris can easily get the job done and I found it more comfortable. I have only had my long comb new for about a week but I have had a better first experience with the Joris. I am definitely looking forward to getting to know it a bit better.

Today I switched out the winter software for the spring: cella, tabac as, and my aos sandalwood set went into the closet. Out came la toja manantiales, speick cream, 4711 as, and the veg. Should be a good week indeed.

Patrick, I'm glad you're enjoying the razor! I also find your comparison to the NEW interesting as I think it's a very forgiving shaver but certainly different than the Joris. I use the two of them 90% of the time.

Big W was not thrilled with the razor and is ready to send it on its way to the next member. I hope to hear back from Beatnik or CyclingFool soon to round out the tour.

PACKAGE 1
superbleu (WA)
highball (WA)
Chester (CO)
JeffBC (MA)
jpakstis (MA)
shanman (FL)
Sluggo (WI)
LittleLebowski (VA)
pdillon (MO)
CyclingFool

PACKAGE 2
Nando (NH)
Den (Canada)
garyg (MI)
Merkur25 (PA)
saliavin (MO)
Catalin (Canada)
kingfisher (VA)
Big W (NY)
Beatnik

Last edited:
P

pdillon

Second shave on the derby blade this morning and another great shave. WTG & ATG. No weepers on either shave. I feel that this razor offers a lot of protection, but is not too mild for my taste. I am not trying to push my luck though and avoiding razor burn is a high priority. Some slight irritation on my neck in the usual spot, but it should definitely clear up by the morning. All in all, this is the best first experience I've had with a DE (out of 5 total).

I also want to say again, the Joris is LOUD!

I'm really enjoying the Joris, and if things continue in this light I will definitely try to add one to my den in the future. Personally, I think I like the Canadian Walnut handle.

P

pdillon

My NEW is a (long-comb) Goodwill. I have not tried the short comb but I imagine it would be more similar to the Joris.

I definitely like the NEW and compared to my other razors (HD, Goodfella, R41) it is fine. I would expect to take some time to get to know it. But the Joris has impressed me right away.

The audible feedback on the razor was great. Definitely less aggressive than the r41, but Joris can easily get the job done and I found it more comfortable. I have only had my long comb new for about a week but I have had a better first experience with the Joris. I am definitely looking forward to getting to know it a bit better.

Sounds like you and the Joris are getting along great!

Patrick, I'm glad you're enjoying the razor! I also find your comparison to the NEW interesting as I think it's a very forgiving shaver but certainly different than the Joris. I use the two of them 90% of the time.

Yes, the comparison of the Joris with the NEW is interesting. It sound like the Joris hit that sweet spot between aggressiveness and comfort that I, at least, am looking for. Thanks for your review pdillon!

OK, both of our latest takers have checked in and I've PM'd all to coordinate handoffs. Updated lineup is as follows:

PACKAGE 1
superbleu (WA)
highball (WA)
Chester (CO)
JeffBC (MA)
jpakstis (MA)
shanman (FL)
Sluggo (WI)
LittleLebowski (VA)
pdillon (MO)
CyclingFool

PACKAGE 2
Nando (NH)
Den (Canada)
garyg (MI)
Merkur25 (PA)
saliavin (MO)
Catalin (Canada)
kingfisher (VA)
Big W (NY)
Beatnik

P

pdillon

Good morning gents,

Interesting shave with the Joris this morning. Third shave with the Derby blade resulted in some irritation on the neck, a single weeper, and sting from my 4711. This was only my second day to ever use 4711 and I now see that yesterday was an even better shave than I realized. Yesterday, the AS had absolutely no sting. At first I thought 4711 was just mild, but now I see that the shave was particularly smooth.

My neck irritation is mild. I think it's a combination of technique and a 3 day blade. This happens to me pretty consistently with any razor. I started wet shaving less than a year ago, before then I would never have wanted to shave every day (or 6 a week). I'm still trying to figure out how to make that work. I normally ditch a blade after three uses, but I may experiment with ditching after two until I get my technique down. All said and done, the irritation I'm getting from the Joris is less than with my other razors and seems to have cleared up a bit. Depending on my schedule tomorrow, I may take off or just skip parts of my neck.

I did three passes on my face with great results. Exceptionally smooth.

For my next shave, I will probably go with a Feather blade. I generally like feathers on the first shave, but I have had problems with their longevity.

Patrick,

At the risk of stating the obvious, be sure to use LIGHT pressure. As a comparison, I regularly use a replated Gillette NEW long comb and can pretty much "dig in" with practically no risk to my face. With the Joris, its head design and blade exposure almost forces me to use a light touch so the razor can do the work. Also, the Joris is probably best at a lower head angle than most other razors: that blade hanging out can irritate if it's used as a paint scraper! :tongue_sm

Enjoy!!

Good morning gents,

Interesting shave with the Joris this morning. Third shave with the Derby blade resulted in some irritation on the neck, a single weeper, and sting from my 4711. This was only my second day to ever use 4711 and I now see that yesterday was an even better shave than I realized. Yesterday, the AS had absolutely no sting. At first I thought 4711 was just mild, but now I see that the shave was particularly smooth.

My neck irritation is mild. I think it's a combination of technique and a 3 day blade. This happens to me pretty consistently with any razor. I started wet shaving less than a year ago, before then I would never have wanted to shave every day (or 6 a week). I'm still trying to figure out how to make that work. I normally ditch a blade after three uses, but I may experiment with ditching after two until I get my technique down. All said and done, the irritation I'm getting from the Joris is less than with my other razors and seems to have cleared up a bit. Depending on my schedule tomorrow, I may take off or just skip parts of my neck.

I did three passes on my face with great results. Exceptionally smooth.

For my next shave, I will probably go with a Feather blade. I generally like feathers on the first shave, but I have had problems with their longevity.

P

pdillon

Thanks for the tip. I'm pretty sure your comments about angle are spot on, and I will keep that in mind on my next go.

Yes, these two were a bit too aggressive for me, but I appreciate my time with them. The ironic thing is that I actually had the Italian Fatip and had no problem with it. Maybe it was a blade thing, but I didn't feel the need to continue experimenting with a razor that ultimately wouldn't be part of my rotation.

It's off to Beatnik now, hopefully he has better luck than I did ; )

Thanks!!

P

pdillon

Had to rush my shave with the Joris this morning, but it was still generally good. I definitely prefer the Derbys over the Feathers in this razor. The Derbys just feel much more smooth. I took it very light on my neck because of the remaining irritation but I think the focus on angle help.

I suppose I should give the Fatip a try as I'm approaching the end of the Joris's stay with me, but it's going to be difficult to pull myself away!

I suppose I should give the Fatip a try as I'm approaching the end of the Joris's stay with me, but it's going to be difficult to pull myself away!

Try to use the Derbys and the same software, I didn't notice a lot of difference between them, but some have. This way you can see the difference the handle makes.

P

pdillon

Thanks for the tip, Colin. I will definitely do that.

When I mentioned that the Canadian Walnut handle appealed to me, Texbilly told me that it is lighter than the all-metal one I have been using. It's hard for me to tell if a lighter handle would be good, bad or indifferent.

So ...waiting for me when I got home last night was a box, a big box! I anxiously open it to reveal its contents and lo and behold, it was stuffed with shaving products ranging from blades (some NOS vintage!), shaving soaps and creams, aftershaves and fragrances, a feast for any wet shaver! There were also two boxes, one wooden and one cardboard. Opening both of these boxes revealed a simply stunning Joris and a beautiful FaTip razor. I quickly gave them a bath in dishwashing soap followed by a dip in Iso alchohol -my sterilization routine- and put them in with the rest of my razors in the rotation drawer, ready for Saturday morning's shave.

Joris: First impressions

I almost didn't shave at all this morning due to time constraints, but I really wanted to try the Joris. So I went for it and had a quick 2 pass shave. First off, I really was impressed with the build quality of the Joris, its top notch. I also like the way it fit in my hand. I wasn't sure that I would like the handle shape, but it felt natural as I held it, so a thumbs up there. Also, great balance and I really like the texture of the bone handle. I loaded it up with a fresh 7OC Yelllow, lathered up some QCS Cayman cream and started my first pass which is WTG. There's alot of blade exposed on the Joris, so I used very light pressure and short strokes. The first thing that I noticed was the audible feed back of the razor, its loud! This feed back really helps in finding the right blade angle, which is critical with this razor. The first pass went by quickly and I found that the razor had been efficient in removing whiskers, more so than any of the solid bar razors that I own and even a bit more than my senator and the LC NEW.

The Second pass was XTG, from ear to chin. No problem on my face,even on my sensitive chin strap area. Again, I really used a very light touch, more so that I use with any other of my razors. I like the way the Joris handled my jaw line whiskers. Again, the audible feed back really helps in keeping the right blade angle. My neck is a nightmare to shave with coarse hair going against the skin in every direction. I have to use a several different directions in my passes to be XTG. Some of these directions can be quite awkward, but I found the Joris to be quite maneuverable. After this pass, I re-lathered under my chin and below both sideburns for a quick ATG pass. No problems there, lots of stubble removed. I was running out of time at this point and if I had a bit more time, I would have done some touch-up on my neck. A quick rinse and then a splash of Captains Choice Bay Rum. and that was that. My skin felt great and just a mild sting from the Bay Rum AS.

So, my initial impressions. First off, the Joris fells good in my hand: the handle shape and length work for me and the razor feels very balanced. The audible feed back that this razor gives makes it so much easier to find and maintain a good razor angle. You have to use very light pressure with this razor, there is a fair amount of blade that's exposed on this razor. The Joris is not crazy aggressive but it's more so than my Senator and the NEW.

I look forward to shaving with it tomorrow, where I hopefully will have a large chunk of uninterrupted time :smile:

Last edited:
P

pdillon

Had my shave with the Fatip today. So to state the obvious: the head seems exactly the same as the Joris. That part is great, but wow what a difference the handle makes! I had a nice shave but I prefer the Joris handle. Thanks for letting me participate in the tour. The package was sent out first thing this morning and is on its way to Albuquerque.

Top Bottom