What's new

Joris Brushes?

This topic is being kicked around on another forum, but there isn't much in the way of definitive information there, so I thought I would ask here; has anyone ever tried a Joris brush? Thoughts and impressions if you have?

Thanks for the reply Kyle. They are very good looking brushes to be sure and given their association with Plisson I am somewhat confused as to why they seem so overlooked.

AJS said:
This topic is being kicked around on another forum, but there isn't much in the way of definitive information there, so I thought I would ask here; has anyone ever tried a Joris brush? Thoughts and impressions if you have?

Medeocre at best.... I would call them the bastard cousins of Plisson. It is basically a Plisson with more show and less go. They are more fashionable, but they quality, form and function of the knot is inferior to that of Plisson. Joris brushes also suffer the poor manufacturing characteristics of Plisson brushes, and are not even close to the build quality of that of a Kent, Savile Row, Simpson, etc. Due to the high cost, and the medeocre quality, you hear VERY little on these brushes, as unless you are a collector, or stumble on quite a deal (I got a high end model for $30USD on french ebay) they are really forgettable brushes.

If you simply must have something not everyone on the forum has... then by all means a Joris is your ticket - but there is usually a reason the "unheard of/unmentioned" shaving brushes remain elusive.... they simply aren't all that superb.

When someone asks me about a shaving brush recommendation - there is always 2 questions I ask #1. What characteristics are you looking for? #2 How much do you want to spend? With that 90% of the time comes 2 recommendations #1. A $35 C&E bestbadger brush #2. A Simpson

The C&E brush is an incredible brush for the $, and a Simpson is built like a German Tiger Tank.... if the methodshave guys can torture them for YEARS, and it was the only brush that could stand the abuse you can be sure that with a Simpson, and reasonable use (IE not doing anything wacky with it) it will provide you with a lifetimes worth of use.

Occasionally an old Plisson will show materialize... sometimes a old Rooney once in a rare while, but there are loads of old (and I mean 50+ year old) heavily used Simpsons that have been sold, purchased and re-used that still look damn near new.

Not that Plisson/Rooney/etc aren't good brushes... but they are wildly over-priced for what you actually get in terms of quality. When I pay over $100 for a shaving brush, I expect it to last a lifetime, and be of the utmost quality. I have never held a Rooney, Plisson, Vulfix, Joris, etc that felt like it would last more than 10 years of daily use.

Okay Alex, i promise that i'm going to use these Joris brushes in the next days to come and to give a short review:

proxy.php

The handle is made of palladium and thuya

proxy.php

This one has a handle of pure palladium weighing about
168 grams

Both brushes have a rather contemporarily look, not so classic; generally speaking i like classic handles more, but these are very handsome looking imo.
The brushes have both European grey bristles and are very well constructed.

I bought both brushes at a discount chemist in Mechelen, Belgium;this chemist can deliver any Plisson or Joris brush or shaving item to me (f.i. stands, bowls, soap, razors etc.)

Joris is not cheap imo: both brushes are in the
160 dollar range; for a brush with European grey hair this is comparable with Plisson.

Peter

The Joris brushes really are nice to look at, it's a shame that the build quality is so lacking.

I purchased gold plated and palladium in 2 differnt NYC apotchecaries. Nice handles, but they shed for the amount of money shelled out-$198. They are heavy & I have to put them betwen 2 plastic stands for them to dry. The badger hair is pure for one, fine-greybadger for the other. No great shave & you pay for the handle. Who knows, maybe I''ll send them to Shavemac to have new better grade of badger hair put in.
I purchased some black & grey badger hair shave brushes from Plisson ranging fro $59-$79. Not worth the money-they are scratchy and shed. Though I have a Plisson metal handled pure badger hair shave brush that shed only 1 hair. Stick to Kent, Vulfix, Saville Row. Muehle Pinsel and the silvertip badger shave brushes made by Omega, and stay away from Joris-Plisson unless you want a conversation piece handle.

bladerunner said:
I purchased gold plated and palladium in 2 differnt NYC apotchecaries. Nice handles, but they shed for the amount of money shelled out-$198. They are heavy & I have to put them betwen 2 plastic stands for them to dry. The badger hair is pure for one, fine-greybadger for the other. No great shave & you pay for the handle. Who knows, maybe I''ll send them to Shavemac to have new better grade of badger hair put in.
I purchased some black & grey badger hair shave brushes from Plisson ranging fro $59-$79. Not worth the money-they are scratchy and shed. Though I have a Plisson metal handled pure badger hair shave brush that shed only 1 hair. Stick to Kent, Vulfix, Saville Row. Muehle Pinsel and the silvertip badger shave brushes made by Omega, and stay away from Joris-Plisson unless you want a conversation piece handle.
Spoken like a sage.

bladerunner said:

Hmmm, i'm inclined to disagree; Joris and Plisson aren't that "bad" imo; i've used several Plissons in the last three years (i have 7 Plissons and four travel Plissons) and they are very good, although indeed overpriced as compared to Savile Rows fi.

As for Joris brushes: visually they are build good; this morning i lathered up with the Thuya handled one: it holds water well enough, creates a very good lather, has a slight prickly feeling on the skin and bloomed a little after use; so far no negative remarks from me on this Joris brush. BTW: it didn't shed one single bristle....

Tomorrow i will use the other Joris, the palladium handled one; but i don't think there will be any difference with the thuya, because they have the same grey badger bristle type and about the same loft dimensions.

Peter

Top Bottom