What's new

Jonah Lomu, RIP

Stunned by the news that one of the greatest wingers in rugby died today at the age of 40.

Glad he got to see the All Blacks lift the World Cup again, but 40 is no age to go.

Rest in peace young man, you leave behind a lot of good memories.

It certainly is a shock. I know he hadn't been in good health for a while but I never expected this; and at such a young age. For those Stateside, there are interesting parallels with the NFL great Ray Lewis; not only were their body-types and careers similar, they were born only three days apart. Lomu's physique was remarkable, weighing in at 120kg (265 pounds), was 196 cm tall (6' 4") and in his prime could run the 100m in less than 11 seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't follow Rugby much, as I prefer (Association) Football, but I certainly knew of Jonah Lomu. He transcended his sport. It's always sad when great athletes pass on at an early age. Condolences to the Kiwis.

Watching him run reminds me a bit of Christian "The Nigerian Nightmare" Okoye, who was briefly a great running back before he hurt his knee. If Lomu had been in the NFL, though, he might have been best suited for tight end.

Watching him run reminds me a bit of Christian "The Nigerian Nightmare" Okoye, who was briefly a great running back before he hurt his knee. If Lomu had been in the NFL, though, he might have been best suited for tight end.

I thought that The Cowboys were looking into him at one point.

Filmed for a documentary not long ago. Lomu meets with Springbok Joost van der Westhuizen, who is suffering from ALS.
Good luck trying to keep your eyes dry.
RIP Jonah

Last edited by a moderator:
Came back to comment . . . may not know diddly about Rugby, but I knew enough to recognize talent when I see it. Jonah Lomu was on another level. It is a shame that his illness shortened an incandescent career and, in the end, his life.
#LEGEND
R.I.P.

Top Bottom