What's new

Jojoba Oil - Perfect Aftershave Balm

Just when I thought I was finished searching for my go-to aftershave splashes and balms, Jojoba Oil has to come waltzing in my life. :tongue_sm

My normal, post shaving regime consisted of a healthy washing of my face with generic drugstore brand witch hazel and applying Nivea Sensitive ASB or Lucky Tiger Aftershave and Face Tonic. That would leave my face soft, irritation free, soothed, and refreshed. It is a glorious combination.

I frequent Trader Joe's a lot of with my wife and happened to see their Jojoba Oil was on sale for $4.99. I figured I'd pick it up and give it whirl. I've been using it as a post shave balm, for a week now with absolutely amazing results. I still give myself the aftershave, witch hazel facial cleanse, but now, I finish with nothing but plain Jojoba Oil.

It only takes about 4 or 5 drops to completely cover my face. It is an incredibly light oil that absorbs into my newly shaven face almost immediately. There is zero scent and no residual greasiness or sheen left over. Honestly, I've never had such a post-shave feel before. I'm 29 and my face feels like it used to when I was 10 and hadn't started sprouting facial hair yet. It stays so astoundingly smooth and soft even a few days after I shave.

I shave every other day, so I've started a habit of taking a few drops of the Jojoba Oil and massaging into my face before bed every night. I do my whole face - forehead, face, neck, and back of neck. People at work have been commenting on how much better my skin looks and even my in-laws have said the same thing. None of them knew what I had done, so I have to assume the oil is definitely helping. :thumbup1:

I think I'm going to run with this for awhile and see where it goes. The little 4 Oz. bottle will last me a long time at the rate I'm using it, but I'm still looking at Amazon and other places for bulk supplies.

$tumblr_mccyjy1Ntt1r7dhm5o1_400.jpg

Edit - Just wanted to say that I have used Jojoba Oil before in homemade aftershaves, but I've never used 100% plain and pure Jojoba Oil on my face as a stand alone balm.

Last edited:
I found a reference for jojoba oil that says: "...It is also used topically to encourage the regrowth of hair in people who are balding..."

Do you find that you need to shave more often? :001_rolle

+1 Shiloh, I'll let you know after I've tried it some on the top of my head. God had a funny on me, the hair grows in as a smiley face with the eyes near my forehead - I'm ready to consider implants.

I use a mixture of oils and Jojoba is in it. The other oils are Almond Oil, Aragan Oil, Shea Butter Oil, Emu Oil, Lanoline Oil, and Borage Seed Oil, and a little Olive Oil. I use it at night also. Others have tested and also report good results by using Meadowform Oil, Safflower oil, and Sunflower seed oil.

For after the shave, I would avoid Mineral Oil (in baby oil), Coconut Oil, and Glycerin (although Glycerin is great in pre shave oil or soap).

For after the shave, I would avoid Mineral Oil (in baby oil), Coconut Oil, and Glycerin (although Glycerin is great in pre shave oil or soap).

I know mineral oil is usually not good for your skin, but why the other 2? Just curious about this. I heard glycerin is good post-shave as long as you don't use too much, and obviously in conjuction with something else.

I agree with the OP about jojoba oil, really good for all skin types really. I have some 100% organic jojoba oil that I usually use with other oils on days where I don't shave, might have to try this post-shave.

Didn't shave, but I did just give my face an Jojoba Oil face massage after my shower tonight. I put about 4 drops in my palm and proceeded to rub my hands together and then onto my face.

There was a slight sheen for about a minute, but my face drank it all up and the only thing left was a soft as silk face. Really loving this stuff. :thumbup:

Thanks for the input. It makes sense jojoba would work pretty well, since it's in the category of natural moisturizing factor, ingredients that essentially mimic natural skin function. Jojoba is pretty close to human sebum. It's been a while since I tried pure jojoba following a shave. My recollection is I found the finish too oily. I might have to try it again.

Thanks for the input. It makes sense jojoba would work pretty well, since it's in the category of natural moisturizing factor, ingredients that essentially mimic natural skin function. Jojoba is pretty close to human sebum. It's been a while since I tried pure jojoba following a shave. My recollection is I found the finish too oily. I might have to try it again.

Thanks for the link!

The first few times I tried Jojoba Oil, I used waaaaay too much and it left quite a bit of sheen. Over the next several attempts, I somewhat dialed in my amount to about 3 or 4 drops. The massaging in it in part was key for my own personal success. I realized I can't just slap it on like a splash and be done with it. It has to be really worked in there for about 10 or 15 seconds. :blush:

Also, I tend to shave and put the oil on at night. That way my face has a good night's rest to recover and really absorb that oil.

Coconut oil behaves on the skin almost the same as mineral oil. They are occlusive moisturizers - They sit on the skin and block/slow the exodus of moisture that goes through your skin every day. There are some studies that say that all that happens with these is that your skin learns to send out less moisture and that it slows the replenishment/regeneration of skin that is going on all the time on the inner side of your skin (jury out on that IMO). That said, both mineral oil and coconut oil are excellent occlusive moisturizers. If your skin is already dry, they don't help much. Occlusives can also block other ingredients from getting through to your skin. So if you want to use mineral oil or coconut oil, put it on after other items. In addition to Occlusives, there are Humectants -- they grab water and keep it next to your skin. There are also Emollients that soften the skin. There is another category of special functions that include what lanolin and emu oil do as well as things like sunscreen or retin-A. Most oils or products do more than one of these. Glycerin is the all time success story of humectants.

The only negative of glycerin is that there are some studies that say leaving it on your skin all day causes irritation and worse medical problems -- I don't recall the details but its nothing so bad as skin cancer and I think the studies might be inconclusive -- I just don't remember -- so I just concluded to use glycerin and rinse/wash it off -- which is what happens when its added to soap or used in a pre shave oil.

FYI, mineral oil (pharma grade in baby oil and cosmetic products) is not bad for your skin -- all those studies showing bad effects are non pharma grade with impurities. Mineral oil has gotten a bad rap from "greenies" because it comes from petroleum companies. However, as I said, it's a complete occlusive so it will go on, feel greasy, block other things going into your skin, etc. incidentally Jojoba oil is a partial occlusive (as is olive oil, shea butter oil, and numerous other plant oils.)

Incidentally, here's my list for world's greatest pre shave oil: Grapeseed Oil, Aragon Oil, Glycerin, Almond Oil, and then remaining 10% whatever other oils suit your fancy (olive oil, jojoba oil, vitamin E oil, avocado oil, etc. -- just nothing astringent).

I know mineral oil is usually not good for your skin, but why the other 2? Just curious about this. I heard glycerin is good post-shave as long as you don't use too much, and obviously in conjuction with something else.

I agree with the OP about jojoba oil, really good for all skin types really. I have some 100% organic jojoba oil that I usually use with other oils on days where I don't shave, might have to try this post-shave.

I use grape seed oil postshave. Quickly absorbed, non greasy (after 3 minutes) and 16 ounces for $10.
I may pickup some jojoba and mix them a little....

I've now added some Rosehip Seed Oil to my Jojoba at:

1 parts Rosehip

2 parts Jojoba

My skin has never looked or felt better in my life. This is seriously the best after shave balm combo I've ever experienced.

Any one use this as a pre shave oil ??

I have used jojoba as a pre-shave. (I've only used rose hip seed oil as an aftershave/moisturizer; I don't think I've ever used it and jojoba in tandem.) It works very well, as do a number of other options. I'm not much of a DIY guy when it comes to skin care products, but given the wealth of affordable options that can be used as pre-shaves, I honestly think oils marketed as such are the most overpriced products in the whole wet shaving game.

Top Bottom