What's new

Joining the bypass club

Last week I went in for a stent, at least that is what I thought was going to happen. Turns out it wasn't. My blockage is in the right coronary artery right where it branches into multiple. Most people have 3 arteries in this area I am lucky to have 4. Instead of a triple bypass I get to have a quadruple bypass. While I was in the recovery area listening to people it was clear that I was the youngest in the room by a minimum of ten years.

This all started because my brother died of a heart attack a couple years ago and mom was worried. To appease mom I got checked out. Mom was right as usual and it was caught before I was dead. Guess I wasn't just fine. Apparently I am avoiding the Widow Maker, as my surgeon called it, but have to wait until September 14th. It is a stressful wait.

Any folks here have a bypass? What was it like and what was recovery like?

The only thing I know is it will kick my ***.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Glad to hear it went okay. Never had a bypass but last year they had to cut both femoral arteries open and scrape the blockage out. Not near as serious as what you had done.

The vascular surgeon keeps telling me to get exercise and eat a heart healthy diet...so I eat good three days a week. Tonight is BBQ ribs. :)

Last week I went in for a stent, at least that is what I thought was going to happen. Turns out it wasn't. My blockage is in the right coronary artery right where it branches into multiple. Most people have 3 arteries in this area I am lucky to have 4. Instead of a triple bypass I get to have a quadruple bypass. While I was in the recovery area listening to people it was clear that I was the youngest in the room by a minimum of ten years.

This all started because my brother died of a heart attack a couple years ago and mom was worried. To appease mom I got checked out. Mom was right as usual and it was caught before I was dead. Guess I wasn't just fine. Apparently I am avoiding the Widow Maker, as my surgeon called it, but have to wait until September 14th. It is a stressful wait.

Any folks here have a bypass? What was it like and what was recovery like?

^ Nah, you don't know that. What they can do nowadays with medical technology is absolutely amazing. :) Don't worry about the wait. They caught things super early. If you were critical, they wouldn't have let you leave and would've taken you right into surgery. (They know what they're doing.) The time will go by. Live your life. You'll be fine.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
^ Nah, you don't know that. What they can do nowadays with medical technology is absolutely amazing. :) Don't worry about the wait. They caught things super early. If you were critical, they wouldn't have let you leave and would've taken you right into surgery. (They know what they're doing.) The time will go by. Live your life. You'll be fine.
Things are different over here im on the critical list and I have to wait until October to see the surgeon and get my operation date. I've to get my main valve replaced and there's something wrong with my main artery they need to operate on to. Don't stress yourself and try not to worry about it. I know its easy to say but hard to do brother but worrying and stressing about it won't change a thing just try to take it easy. I'll keep you in my prayers God bless you brother. We'll both be fine 🙂.

I second the advice to try to avoid stressing too much about this. Have had several friends who have taken the bypass and all are doing well. I found out 4 years ago that I have a high plaque burden in my coronary arteries. I've been following the American Heart Association healthy lifestyle guidelines ever since.

My dad went through it 10+ years ago. It took him some time before he was working in the garage but everyone is different and surgerys are getting better every year so stay in good spirits.

You have caught it before it caught you. My dad said after the basic recovery time the hardest thing was changing his diet.

Good luck and keep your spirits up as stress doesnt help the waiting.

Top Bottom