What's new

Joined the GEM club

Is there anything special about the knurled handle on the left? @Ron R @mata_66

Also, does anyone want those GEM boxes pictured above?

Attachments

• 8AFC1BF4-71B0-4546-BFEE-DF82BDB11CAE.jpeg
    8AFC1BF4-71B0-4546-BFEE-DF82BDB11CAE.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Is there anything special about the knurled handle on the left?

It is for holding an attachment that lets the user strop the edge of the blade between uses

Yesterday I purchased a GEM Damaskeene SE razor in the travel box. It came with everything but blades (as well as several items I'm sure don't belong with it, see picture). I'm not interested in using it but would like to have some blades for display purposes. I'm not having any luck in finding a website where I can order them. Any suggestions?View attachment 801024

Interesting, thanks! So it isn't any more rare or special than any other? I like the art deco handle on the right more, but was wondering if the left had some kind of uniqueness or value.

This isn't a Damaskeene as far as I understand, it says Junior on the back, 1912 at the handle mount, and the normal Brooklyn NY inside.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Saw the round handle and my imagination went aflutter. Please reject my assumptions from peer review while we wait for the d00ds previously paged.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Is there anything special about the knurled handle on the left? @Ron R @mata_66

Also, does anyone want those GEM boxes pictured above?
When I see a Gem Knurled handle it usually indicates the older ASR razors (Damaskeene and some Gem Jr model razors) when the competition was fierce and a lot of the other manufactures where just producing simple knurled handles looking at past photo's.
Some of the old ASR lather catchers Star & Ever-Ready and Gem models had wooden and ivory looking handles + coated metal handles on certain models.
People wanted different handles other than knurled handles and Gem produced some interesting handle as the time went on, not a whole lot different than the wishes of folks today IMO.
(L)This Damaskeene open comb I own had a knurled hollow handle and stropping attachment + (R) Gem Jr bar lather catcher closed comb with a stropping attachment inside the hollow handle for the carbon steel blades of that era.)
Damskeene (2).jpg
Stropping attachment inside of handle! (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom