What's new

Joined the GEM club

I joined the GEM club! While I wait for blades to arrive, can you all help me learn more?

From what I understand, these are 1912 razors and unlike vintage Gillettes they can't be dated as precisely. Can I narrow it down a bit? Are these also called Juniors?

I got these two boxes, I am guessing that the Micromatic box isn't appropriate for the 1912, is that correct? Is the cardboard box authentic for this razor?

I've read and watched videos on how to shave with them, so I think I am prepared. I have GEM PTFE blades on the way (from Connaught , thanks to @Ron R in another recent thread). I've shaved with injectors, so I think I have some experience to go from.

Attachments

• DF5B83F3-0349-4A2F-BF3F-F539EF4FFF89.jpeg
    DF5B83F3-0349-4A2F-BF3F-F539EF4FFF89.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
  • BCFA8A6F-EA05-401C-BDCF-DC502354E76A.jpeg
    BCFA8A6F-EA05-401C-BDCF-DC502354E76A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • 716426D5-C3A7-4524-9380-965B05584C4D.jpeg
    716426D5-C3A7-4524-9380-965B05584C4D.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
  • 208861F9-B848-4169-B25E-BCFF706F142E.jpeg
    208861F9-B848-4169-B25E-BCFF706F142E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
The reason why some Gems are called "Junior," is not altogether clear. The Junior and the "non-Junior" razors appear to be identical. One theory is Junior is a younger, newer, or reissued model, but no one really knows.

There's no connection between a Gem Micromatic and a 1912 box.

I have a complete and original Gem Micromatic set. It came inside a nice plastic box, which came inside a nice cardboard box.

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I joined the GEM club! While I wait for blades to arrive, can you all help me learn more?

From what I understand, these are 1912 razors and unlike vintage Gillettes they can't be dated as precisely. Can I narrow it down a bit? Are these also called Juniors?

I got these two boxes, I am guessing that the Micromatic box isn't appropriate for the 1912, is that correct? Is the cardboard box authentic for this razor?
I will give it a shot at maybe trying to explaining the history as best followed by a time line chart that might help you that @mata_66 complied for us all to enjoy.
The Gem Junior 1912 will have it stamped on the back of a Gem junior with 1912 stamped where the handle is threaded into the razor head base. The name was placed on the Gem Junior bar lather catcher 1907-11(tame mid range) and it seemed to carry forward for possible sales of Gem product line on the 1912 models. I have the Gem junior bar lather catch and Gem junior 1912, I really enjoy their shaves.
(Gem junior Lather catchers 1907-11), Archived photo, click photo to enlarge)
Gem jr bar Lather Cather scroll work. (2).jpg

Some of the fellows have answered about the boxes already and there are very close similarities with a Gem Jr 1912 and just a Gem regular 1912 but mostly are in very minimal base plates variants if even that. I have seen these photo's of very small changes over the decades but I do not have them or know where to find them but there are collectors who do know this information and history better.
The time line chart that should help a lot of Gem owners, great razors IMO once mastered.
1673322467783.png

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Thanks so much, @Ron R this is terrific information!

So I can gather these are from 1927 or newer, confirming what @Whiterook said. The chart doesn't have the end of that line, so is it reasonable to guess these were made at some point from 1927 through the thirties?

I am going to give one to my nephew in college, who I gave a no-date-code Gillette SuperSpeed from the late 40s to and he loved it. I don't think many of the young-uns would appreciate such things, but he did.

Ron R

So I can gather these are from 1927 or newer, confirming what @Whiterook said. The chart doesn't have the end of that line, so is it reasonable to guess these were made at some point from 1927 through the thirties?

I am going to give one to my nephew in college, who I gave a no-date-code Gillette SuperSpeed from the late 40s to and he loved it. I don't think many of the young-uns would appreciate such things, but he did.
You can buy this book hard cover or electronic version & there is great information on razors if you collect, there is some additional information in the Gem brand with small photo's of small segment of the a great razor book. Takes a few seconds to load, be patient :lemo:.

I don't think either box is correct, since Junior Parade with the baton handle came in such a box. I think those nice chain link handles were introduced in 1927.
That cardboard box is exclusive to the Gem Jr. Parade AKA the gold plated Gem 1912 with the bakelite handle. It was sold with either the 'Baton' or the slim black bakelite handle.

$_57.jpeg

That particular handle was introduced in 1927 and sold until the very early 40's. The Gem 1912 was sold with different brass handles at the same time since its debut in 1921.

Ron R

That cardboard box is exclusive to the Gem Jr. Parade AKA the gold plated Gem 1912 with the bakelite handle. It was sold with either the 'Baton' or the slim black bakelite handle.

View attachment 1585743

That particular handle was introduced in 1927 and sold until the very early 40's. The Gem 1912 was sold with different brass handles at the same time since its debut in 1921.
Thanks for your wealth of information, I knew there are collectors out there that also study dates and model changes who correspond with you from time to time. Take care!

Do you all think someone might want the plastic or cardboard GEM boxes? I'd be happy to give them to anyone if they paid the shipping. Otherwise they would end up in the trash.

Junior was first used in 1906 with the introduction of the rib back SE blades, which was GEMs answer to the wafer blade being sold by Gillette and as a replacement for the wedge blades. Why they put it on some later models when the wedge blade was long gone is unknown.

Welcome to another fork in the road down the rabbit hole! As posted before, my first Gem SE experience was trying a Gem 1912 that had been my grandfathers with a blade I had gotten out of the garage When I was 16. It went very, very badly and i didn’t try that GEM again till I was 58, but with SS blades. Only a couple nicks and weepers, but still a nervousness, edgy experience with really extreme neck irritation and a few cuts that warranted going back to an electric for 3-5 days when I have been getting great DE shaves with a variety of vintage Gillettes. Eventually, I could slowly work out an acceptable shave with a GEM, but why, when DE was so much easier with a better result?
Then- I finally tried the coated blades! The PTFE coated GEM blades are a GAME CHANGER. For me, it was a 180 degree difference. I used a GEM Clog-Pruf last night with a PTFE blade and got a fantastic close, smooth, enjoyable shave, even buffed a little on the neck to chase the BBS. Zero alum block feedback. Now, I’m super excited to rotate back thru the 1924 Shovelhead, Grandad‘s 1912 Gem Jr and the MMOC with the better blades. YMMV, my experience is that the non coated blades are best used for opening the Amazon and EBay boxes that contain other shaving supplies and razors. Looking forward to reading about another new take on these old razors! IMO, with proper prep, a good lather and the PTFE blades these are wonderful- yet obviously unappreciated by the masses- shavers. The fact that you can pick these up so inexpensively adds to the fun. Tomorrow is the Micromatic MMOC!
PS- if you want to try other handles on a GEM head, I just ordered twenty 10-32 thread, 1/4” grub screws that included an Allen wrench off eBay for $6.99. No point struggling with a super short handle on a razor that shaves shallow.

I just had my first shave with the GEM 1912. I am happy to say I didn't plane off my cheeks! That was the main thing I was going for. I got a shave of varying quality - good in places, poor in others. But I cut whiskers everywhere, it's a start, I was very cautious. I got 2-3 weepers, so I have more work to do and lots to learn.

I am assuming these were made with less than daily shaves in mind and not with a BBS as the goal.

Last edited:
I just had my first shave with the GEM 1912. I am happy to say I didn't plane off my cheeks! That was the main thing I was going for. I got a shave of varying quality - good in places, poor in others. But I cut whiskers everywhere, it's a start, I was very cautious. I got 2-3 weepers, so I have more work to do and lots to learn.

I am assuming these were made with less than daily shaves in mind and not with a BBS as the goal.
I shave daily with various GEMS and get great shaves with rarely a nick. A couple of suggestions. Try a shallower angle than with a DE razor. GEMs tend to be heavier than most DEs, so apply the least possible pressure to the razor. Good luck.

Second shave with the GEM 1912. I'm still very tentative and careful, therefore I had another shave of varying quality. Parts of my cheeks are BBS but areas of my neck/jawline are only passable. I only got one nick and zero irritation, so that's a positive. I've got a lot to learn and confidence to build.

Yup, I've got the shallow angle from injector razors. It feels natural with the GEM. I wouldn't dream of going steep with it!

But a couple injector habits don't fully translate - normally one puts the cap on and pivots it down just a few degrees. It seems with the GEM you don't even do a few degrees, is that right? I have to not do even those few degrees. Also, in my experienc injectors seem to like a little bit of pressure on the cap, not the blade, but the cap, if that makes sense. It seems the GEM doesn't need that either. Tonight I just floated it on the lather.

Top Bottom