What's new

Join me in the journey….Shaving off BBW

Ok, Gents, that’s exactly what I’m going to do. I’m going to put an edge on a razor and finish on my BBW with oil. I will shave with the edge and report the results here. Let’s see how many of you want to join me in this adventure. Someone is going to get a beautiful shaving edge! I know. Who is in it with me?

Post pics of your BBW and the razor and your results on this thread……

Here is my stone I will use. It’s my LPB with the BBW side.
CB2B5AE9-9AFD-4C2B-9A9E-A4AD0C54617C.jpeg

I’ve shaved off BBW and it was just marginal. I’ve also tried BBW to Coticule and for some reason one stone doesn’t seem to transition into the next very well for some reason…

It took me this long to discover what a BBW is. I had an idea about that, but it was wrong, and I don't know how you would sharpen on that anyway.

So let me see if I've got this right now: you are sharpening on the rock that surrounds the coticule veins, and is included on the back side of coticules, because they need some support, and it's handy.

Sound right?

You can still find the thread about this on the old coticule forums. Pretty sure it was a passable shave at best for most people. When I did the experiment I had the same results, I could shave but it wasn’t comfortable.

It took me this long to discover what a BBW is. I had an idea about that, but it was wrong, and I don't know how you would sharpen on that anyway.

So let me see if I've got this right now: you are sharpening on the rock that surrounds the coticule veins, and is included on the back side of coticules, because they need some support, and it's handy.

Sound right?
So most of the dark colored slate that you see attached to Coticules is just glued on for support and not considered suitable for honing. BBW is a dark blueish-purple sone that is naturally attached to some Coticules.

So most of the dark colored slate that you see attached to Coticules is just glued on for support and not considered suitable for honing. BBW is a dark blueish-purple sone that is naturally attached to some Coticules.
It has a history of honing razors in the very distant past doesn't it? I know it's supposedly a great knife stone. I just assumed that's the point of the challenge, to see what it used to be like.

It has a history of honing razors in the very distant past doesn't it? I know it's supposedly a great knife stone. I just assumed that's the point of the challenge, to see what it used to be like.
So I’m not clear as to whether or not BBW was commonly used for razors in the past. It’s hard to say without more research. I suspect that many people may have been one-stone honing with the yellow side because with the right specimen you could go from bevel set to finish with it. I wonder if the BBW side was often skipped due to the wide range of the yellow side…

Top Bottom