What's new

John Weiss "Razor Maker To The King" London Bridge Razor Set

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I came across a pair of straight razors from an online source at the end of 2010 and was immediately drawn to them on several levels. A quick email dashed off to a representative at the concern was answered promptly and briefly. He stated there were no actual maker's marks. I figured them for spot on 1830 give or take a year or two. I lost interest as the price tag listed of $750 slapped me back to reality. The sales representative suggested $700 plus a hefty $20.00 shipping would be their best as to price.

Fast forward to a couple days ago when I revisited the site and couldn't get this set off my mind. I emailed once again and this time a different rep included in his message that the razors were stamped Weiss London. I put my researcher's hat on and began digging and hunting and scouring the interenet for clues.

John Weiss was appointed "Razor Maker To The King", a title he was very proud of. William IV had bestowed this upon him and Weiss actually began a friendship with many of the Royal Family.

The remaining info sourced online proved my hunch that I really needed to own this fine set.

IMPROVEMENT IN THE QUALITY OF IRON AND STEEL, FROM THEIR BECOMING RUSTY WHEN BURIED IN THE EARTH.

The following "extract from the Chronicles of Old London Bridge," is sufficiently curious in itself to merit insertion in the Philosophical

• The red colour of the solution is presumptive evidence that the peroxide of iron is not reduced to the state of protoxide by the sulphurous acid; and this conclusion is strengthened by considering the action of ferrocyanate of potash, which gives prussian blue, even when the sulphurous acid is greatly in excess, and after the red colour which it had produced has disappeared.

Magazine and Journal of Science, and as an instance of observation, ingeniously applied.

An eminent London cutler, Mr. Weiss of the Strand, to whose inventions modern surgery is under considerable obligations, has remarked, that steel seemed to be much improved when it had become rusty in the earth, and provided the rust was not factitiously produced by the application of acids *. He accordingly buried some razor blades for nearly three years, and the result fully corresponded to his expectation; the blades were coated with rust, which had the appearance of having exuded from within, but were not eroded, and the quality of the steel was decidedly improved. Analogy led to the conclusion, that the Bame might hold good with respect to iron under similar circumstances; so with perfect confidence in the justness of his views, he purchased, as soon as an opportunity offered, all the iron, amounting to fifteen tons, with which the piles of London Bridge had been shod. Each shoe consisted of a small inverted pyramid, with four straps rising from the four sides of its base, which embraced and were nailed to the pile; the total length from the point which entered the ground to the end of the strap being about 16 inches, and the weight about 8 lbs.

The pyramidal extremities of the shoes were found to be not much corroded, nor indeed were the straps; but the latter had become extremely and beautifully sonorous, closely resembling in tone the bars and sounding pieces of an Oriental instrument which was exhibited some time since, with the Burmese state carriage. When manufactured, the solid points in question were convertible only into very inferior steel: the same held good with respect to such bolts and other parts of the iron work as were subjected to the experiment, except the straps; these, which in addition to their sonorousness, possessed a degree of toughness quite unapproached by common iron, and which were in fact imperfect carburets, produced steel of a quality infinitely superior to any which in the course of his business Mr. Weiss had ever before met with; insomuch, that while it was in general request among the workmen for tools, they demanded higher wages for working it f. These straps, weighing altogether about eight tons, were consequently separated from the solid points, and these last sold as old iron. The exterior difference between the parts of the same shoe led at first to the supposition that they were composed of two sorts of iron; but, besides the utter improbability of this, the

* This enterprising artist has informed me, that "some years since he sent with Captain Parry, in his voyage to the North Pole, some steel, which was constantly exposed on deck in the Northern latitudes without being in the slightest degree rusted; but on arriving in a warmer and moister atmosphere it became so. Thissteel he found very good, but not equal to that from London Bridge."

t A successful application of genius or observation is rarely heard of without some one endeavouring to reap the benefit or the credit of the discovery, whileentitled to neither, nor perhaps understanding the principle on which it depends. The fame of Mr. Weiss's steel soon spread, when another person immediately purchased the bolts and fastenings of the old Bridge: the articles manufactured from them will answer equally well as relics.
It may be remarked, that among the points yet undetermined concerning the quality of razors, the condition of the iron whence the steel is made has not yet been fully understood. It has been supposed by some that steel, or the iron from which it is made, is improved in quality by being buried in the earth for a long time. A curious instance occurred a few years ago, in illustration of this opinion. An eminent London cutler, having buried some razor-blades for three years in the earth, and having formed an opinion that the quality was greatly improved thereby, was desirous of obtaining some iron or steel which had been so buried for a much longer period. It happened that about that time old London Bridge was pulled down, and all the piles were found shod or pointed at the lower end with iron, which had been thus immersed in the earth for many centuries. The cutler bought all this iron, fifteen tons in weight, and had it converted into steel. The thicker portions yielded indifferent steel; but the thinner, which were both more sonorous and more tough than any other iron known, produced a kind of steel superior, it is said, to any that the cutler had previously known ; so that it was said at the time, " We might mow our beards with a relic of old London Bridge."

It may be added, that iron is occasionally made of so good a quality that it is capable of being formed into razors without previous conversion into steel.

John Weiss came to London from Rostock in 1780. His father had been a cutler and served as Master Cutler to the Rostock Guild of Smiths; Weiss took to the manufacture of surgical instruments and in 1787 opened for business at 42 Strand London under the name of White, before moving to 33 The Strand in 1805 and trading as ‘John Weiss’.

His surgical instruments were well regarded and sold around the world, and the company which he founded still trades as ‘John Weiss and Son’

An aggressive businessman, Weiss engaged in protracted disputes with competitors to promote and protect his products. One such – with manufacturer John Read who claimed to have invented the stomach pump – went on for many years. Read accused Weiss of waging a ‘dirty tricks’ campaign to benefit his rival device, which included bribing wholesalers to send out damaged ‘Read’ pumps. None of this was proven against Weiss, who regarded these accusations as jealousy for the superiority of his product. Writing in the Lancet that the Read pump would be best used for “watering cabbages and washing cherry trees” Weiss concluded by wishing Read “all manner of good and especially a little better temper.”

In 1826 Weiss was granted permanent resident status by King George IV, and under William IV he was appointed ‘Razor Maker to the King’

Mr Weiss had spent his life making surgical devices. For his death he made a special item.

Having a dread fear of being buried alive, Weiss fashioned an instrument designed to pierce his heart as his coffin was closed. Instruction and direction for its use were contained within his will.

John Weiss died on December 26th 1843. He was buried at St Nicholas Ground with his surgeon Mr Benjamin Vallance in attendance. Vallance carried out his wishes in full, to ensure his certain death.

In my opinion....These blades were no doubt forged from the iron and steel that came from the 600 plus year old ore sourced from the Old London Bridge.

I found out many other very interesting articles about John Weiss whose company exists to this day, primarily engaged in Surgical Instruments.

I will add other interesting news as this thread continues.

Pictures of the set are property of the firm that I purchased them from.

Attachments

• $weiss1.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Those are great... it will be tough to top that. Very nice historical research as well. :001_smile

Thank you. The company I dealt with has a great deal of expertise in Firearms. I do not think they were aware of the historical significance of Weiss purchasing 15 tons of iron and steel from London Bridge and fashioning them into products. These are not pricey souvenirs, Weiss and others felt it was the finest steel he had ever forged.

Nice razors! Nice picture of the bridge, too. I see they even have the decapitated heads on top, from all those guys who got a bit too close of a shave.

Wow. So you bought them? When do you get them into your grubby little mitts?

Last edited:

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Wow. So you bought them? When do you get them into your grubby little mitts?

Very soon. Now I need to chill out on purchases for a month or so. I know I could have acquire a new custom razor for this price but I really enjoy the historical nature of this set.

Very soon. Now I need to chill out on purchases for a month or so. I know I could have acquire a new custom razor for this price but I really enjoy the historical nature of this set.

I think this is way better than a custom mate - even at ~$700

Colour me jealous. Oh well, ill just have to monitor your BST listings for any of the stack of other gems you have :thumbup:

Wow Mike! :w00t: Score :thumbup1:

I'm really digging old sheffields lately and ones like this with the historical aspect :thumbup1:

I do hope you plan to shave with them though. I can't imagine myself owning any razor to just collect, even if shaving reduces the value of it.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Wow Mike! :w00t: Score :thumbup1:

I'm really digging old sheffields lately and ones like this with the historical aspect :thumbup1:

I do hope you plan to shave with them though. I can't imagine myself owning any razor to just collect, even if shaving reduces the value of it.

I'm using these for sure. Since I'm such an amateur honer, I will be sending these off for hopefully a wicked edge. Short of owning a famous person's straight, I can't imagine a more historical object than these frankly... from a shavegeek's perspective. I can imagine these being on "Pawn Stars"

I think this is way better than a custom mate - even at ~$700

Definitely... if I had the money, and found something unique and historically important, like these, I would buy it before spending the money on a custom razor, without a second thought.

Top Bottom