What's new

John Varvatos Vintage & John Varvatos Artisan

Gentlemen,

I'm going to make a purchase of one of these scents in the near future. I've read lots of glowing reviews for both, and I need someone to sway me to one side or the other. I'm hoping there are a few of you who perhaps own or have at least tried/sampled both fragrances. Which one would you say has the edge?

Thanks in advance!

This might make it harder for you, but I found Artisan Black to be the better of the 3 (my experience is from several wears of a 2ml spray sample). It was the least aquatic (the least like every dept store cologne these days). Although the dry-down was surprisingly aquatic and contemporary smelling, it started off with a refreshing citrus-over-woods classic masculine scent. Sephora stocks all 3 and is very good about giving mini-sprayer samples.

You're right... that does make it harder. I do like to be well informed though. I'll add Artisan Black to my considerations.

I had the vintage and, ultimately, gave it away because I found it too cloying. I haven't tried the others, so I can't comment on them.

Have you considered buying a sample of them before buying a whole bottle? I wish I had.

This might make it harder for you, but I found Artisan Black to be the better of the 3 (my experience is from several wears of a 2ml spray sample). It was the least aquatic (the least like every dept store cologne these days). Although the dry-down was surprisingly aquatic and contemporary smelling, it started off with a refreshing citrus-over-woods classic masculine scent. Sephora stocks all 3 and is very good about giving mini-sprayer samples.

I'm nearly in the same boat here.
I had come to the conclusion that the Varvatos Black is best suited for colder months, while the Vintage is better for warmer.
The scent starts with a nice orange citrus, but not too much like Terre D'Hermes. After some time it fades to a nice vetitver base with some woodsy and sandalwood notes.
I've gotten my warm month choices narrowed to this or the Guerlain Vetiver.

I had the vintage and, ultimately, gave it away because I found it too cloying. I haven't tried the others, so I can't comment on them.

Have you considered buying a sample of them before buying a whole bottle? I wish I had.

+1 on all counts

It's a toss up between the vintage and the artisan black. I ended buying the vintage, but enjoyed the black with the tester I had as well. Went on a crazy cologne buying spree and will not be purchasing any for the foreseeable future, but maybe way down the line I'll pick up the black as well.

Top Bottom