What's new

John Saxon has died.

After Star Wars redefined special effects in SF films, I remember thinking, "They can do Larry Niven's Ringworld now!" And John Saxon would have made a great Louis Wu.

After Star Wars redefined special effects in SF films, I remember thinking, "They can do Larry Niven's Ringworld now!" And John Saxon would have made a great Louis Wu.
Boy, I loved Larry Niven’s books! Rinworld, World of Ptsvs(whatever) and collections of short stories.

Boy, I loved Larry Niven’s books! Rinworld, World of Ptsvs(whatever) and collections of short stories.
Niven is one of my favorite writers, period. His early work in particular, with action-adventure and humor, would make dynamite movies, but nobody in H'wood reads any more, it seems.

LN did venture in the Hollywood world in 1973. He proposed a story for the animated Star Trek series, and Dorothy Fontana thought his concept, black holes, might be a little hard to get across for Saturday morning TV (and in 24 minutes of screen time, too). So she and Gene Roddenberry suggested Niven adapt his own early "The Soft Weapon" for the show. He did, and it is one of the classics of Trek.

We could do the aliens believably now, too. Imagine Idris Elba voicing Speaker-to-Animals the kzin!

Top Bottom