What's new

Job Interview

So I was offered a job at a new company in town and I agreed to go to an interview even though I wasnt interested on the position but I had to hear what they had to offer, even then I made sure I was presentable, clean shaven, and in the best manner possible, after all is a job interview and I treated it as such, I have being told that you never sell yourself short so I took on that advise. To my surprise, the guy conducting the interview told me I was the most presentable, well groomed and dressed he had interviewed in a while, everybody else was more concerned about being “themselves” and that they didnt want to give the wrong impression about “who they were”
Anyways, the point of my ramble is: when did we strayed away from proper ways to present ourselves to the world?
I mean, yes we should portray who we are and not give false impressions of what we believe in, but books, even though their story might be very important, the cover is what we look and judge first and thats how the world works!

Just the ramble of the day and wanted to know what you think or experiences you have had?

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I've had people show up for (management-level) interviews and the way they were dressed killed their chances. Doesn't mean the sharp dresser always gets the job either.

If an applicant starts out with a self-centered approach or attitude rather than demonstrating what they can do for the company, I try to wrap it up quick and not waste any more of their time.

I'm always impressed when an applicant demonstrates their multitasking capabilities by answering their phone during an interview.

If an applicant starts out with a self-centered approach or attitude rather than demonstrating what they can do for the company, I try to wrap it up quick and not waste any more of their time.
Totally agree with this, and thats what I meant when they want to show “who they are” rather than “this is what I can do for you” type of situation

I hired a young lady once who was experienced in our field but was dressed rather provocatively. Over time my clients mentioned that she was showing too much and felt she was not professional. I mentioned to her the complaints and she said she was dressed like that when I hired her. So, I was in a spot. I wound up asking her to tone it back while being herself. She did. Eventually, she offered me extras and my wife found out. Lesson learned is that the initial impression might not be far from reality.

I have had people show up for an interview in jeans. I only recently left the tie at home. I just didn't get it. You should wany to put your best foot forward.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

I have had people show up for an interview in jeans. I only recently left the tie at home. I just didn't get it. You should wany to put your best foot forward.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk
Or best anything forward, I mean, you want the job right?!

Then there was the one who wore fuzzy slippers and shorts. LOL. Thankfully, that one did not make me any extra offers.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
i was told once that i was offered the job because out of all the interviewees, i was the only one to send a follow up letter afterwards. Oh, and I wore a suit too.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I beleive it was roughly 10 years ago. I used to see a lot of interviewees when I worked retail. It went from nice clothes, tucked in shirts, well groomed ...to....shorts, T-shirt’s, looks like you just came in from an all night binge drinking fest. This one person actually came in wearing pajamas. I don’t care how great your interview is...i’m not hiring you wearing pajamas. Which, I had no worries, the interview was terrible.

I’m no longer in retail thank goodness. There were 95 applications they had for the job I have now. They hired 1 person. It was me. The plant manager told me after I was hired that they knew when I left the interview that I was the guy they wanted. It was actually a panel of 4 people (plant manger, assistant manger, 2 supervisors) that I interviewed with and they all agreed right then after the interview “that’s the guy”.

I beleive it was because I was prepared and dressed the part. I didn’t over dress by wearing a suit and tie or under dress by wearing shorts and flip flops. I wore one step up from what was worn by the employees I saw on the plant tour. Nice Jeans, nice tucked in button down, dress shoes. Not fancy by corporate standards but not “over eager”. I was simply “down to earth”. Honest with my answers and never gave them the “ummm” or “uhhhh” responses. I made them laugh on the first impression. And the last impression I made them hire me.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Mainly because I have no idea what you are saying because I’m not listening to you either. It’s a job interview, not a sleep over at your best friends house. When you’re ready to be an adult you can re-apply.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Mainly because I have no idea what you are saying because I’m not listening to you either. It’s a job interview, not a sleep over at your best friends house. When you’re ready to be an adult you can re-apply.

Wow, OK. It was a joke, in the spirit of irony. See the smiley?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Wow, OK. It was a joke, in the spirit of irony. See the smiley?
Well of course. I’m not directing my interview critique at you directly. I’m just expressing my thoughts on the matter of that person wearing pajamas to the interview.

Top Bottom