What's new

JNATS removing lacquer

Hello everyone I recently got a new stone that has already been sealed but I would like to remove the remaining lacquer. I was able to lap the one side to remove it but one of the sides is fairly rough and to lap it would be a lot of work I am hoping someone knows of an easier way to remove the lacquer? If anyone has done this before I would love to hear how you did it.
Thank you,
Jason

Would kinda depend what it's been sealed with, but you would be able to remove it with a suitable solvent. I'd be *very* wary of that though, and certainly try a tiny amount out on the lapped side / base first to make sure the stone is alright with it.

Why do you want to remove the lacquer out of interest...?

(FWIW - The only time I've done it was lapping, and by mistake before I realised it was a jnat. I then had to re-seal it. Duh!)

I would have to have a really really good reason to attempt this. All mine have clear poly that I put on with a brush years ago. I don't think it's an easy job. And there may be risks. But I have never tried it.

I guess I could live with it but whoever sealed it didn't do the best job and it has lots of runs in it. It was a very large koppa I was able to cut and made a very nice sized stone and couple tomo out of it and it has turned out pretty nice so far but I cant help but see the runs everytime I look at it maybe I can just sand the runs out and reseal it. Or as I am writing this I just thought maybe I could use a black lacquer and seal over it to cover the runs. I know its silly to care about the runs but it really annoys me but the price couldn't be passed up and I am assuming the guy I bought it from is the one who sealed it so I doubt its cashew lacquer.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Regular paint stripper will do it and not harm the stone, at least in the 24h range.

Cashew and urushi are expesive and time consuming to apply. They did not use these lacquers unless there was a reason to. See laquer? Look for cracks!

Runs are an eastern thing, not a western thing. You kind of have to get used to imperfection with JNats.

I guess I could live with it but whoever sealed it didn't do the best job and it has lots of runs in it. It was a very large koppa I was able to cut and made a very nice sized stone and couple tomo out of it and it has turned out pretty nice so far but I cant help but see the runs everytime I look at it maybe I can just sand the runs out and reseal it. Or as I am writing this I just thought maybe I could use a black lacquer and seal over it to cover the runs. I know its silly to care about the runs but it really annoys me but the price couldn't be passed up and I am assuming the guy I bought it from is the one who sealed it so I doubt its cashew lacquer.

Ah I can certainly understand that... I like pretty things too, and small things however inconsequential can niggle!

Sounds like Steve's done it though with no ill effect :). The other option I sometimes use for lapping stones that need a lot of it is sanding belts (if you have).

Now we need to see pictures...

Top Bottom