What's new

Jnats and running water until stiction

Does anyone do this to gain the most potential for their Jnat? I am testing my new Ozuku and did this and got great stiction at the end. I will test the edge tomorrow.

Just curious what everyone’s experience is with water until stiction on Jnats. What does the edge feel like?

Haven't done it, but it sounds reasonable. Last phase on the finisher should be water, no slurry, and stiction is a good sign, though it doesn't necessarily mean you've reached perfection.

State your rationale, Please.
It's not like laying water on a stone and just honing. Anything porous that has some fragility there is risk. I have seen things get saturated at different rates in different spots, fissures develop or spread.

As others pointed out, water penetration and stone separation is something to consider and why jnats are often sealed on the sides to prevent this problem.

I say go for , bottom stone sealed
proxy.php

it, of course stone dependent, if sealed should be no issues
Ive done this with my asagi koopa, which is a dream for using handheld,,,

99 percent of time i use traditional way stone on flat surface but all ways finish,,, lots lots water only

I have tried it and didn't find it to be worth anything imo. But the stones I use for finishing aren't softish and don't release slurry. You can thin slurry very easily using other methods. Keep wiping the blade and adding small amounts of water. But I don't think you will ruin your stones unless you drop them in the sink. But then again I use a small spray bottle and my stones don't get wetter than they have to.

Thanks Gents for the replies. The edge was decent. It was a 4/8 and felt nice. I’m not too worried about overuse of the stone. It is a tank and should last a lifetime. If something occurs to it, it will give me more reason to get another Jnat.

When the blade starts to stick the force on the bevel raises allot. The coefficient of friction is constant. It does not say anything about the edge.

The feedback or stiction can tell you how the blade will shave once you dial it in. For example a heavy feedback will shave a certain way. Each stone does something different. So knowing how a blade will shave based on the feedback takes a little time but once you have it worked out it's a very reliable way imo.

I sometimes hone until the stone is almost dry, and get a boost in the edge that way on some stones. But I don't like for a blade to get a dragging or sticking feel. A blade that sticks is on the verge of grabbing and skipping, and I've never seen anything good come from that.

I’m new to jnats, I bought my first one a week ago and daily honed the same razor trying to learn how to best use it.
The best edge I’ve got so far was my most recent one where I used no slurry, just trickling tap water. I’ve had great results doing this with my coti and Welsh slates too.
I’ve got a long way to go in understanding my stones but yeah water is working great for me.

Top Bottom