What's new

Jnat terminology

I was browsing the Maruoyama site and kept seeing terms like hard mouth, soft mouth, by the door, clouds in the ceiling, clouds on the floor - and I cant find any references anywhere that explain what any of these terms mean?
Does anybody want to share their knowledge ?

I was browsing the Maruoyama site and kept seeing terms like hard mouth, soft mouth, by the door, clouds in the ceiling, clouds on the floor - and I cant find any references anywhere that explain what any of these terms mean?
Does anybody want to share their knowledge ?

Sounds like his own terms. Not something that is typically referred to so interpretation could be anything.
Do you have a link?

Yeah clouds on the floor is an Uchigumori deep layer. Cloudy catfish on the floor I think refers to the pattern of white on these stones. Hard mouth and soft I think is the sharpening feel. Which I think would also translate to the hardness of the stone, but not sure. Tried to figure this out years ago and never fully did.

Those terms come from bad translation apps, or the lack of an English term that works. Not to mention that a lot of Japanese terms/words have many totally different meanings.
Many websites attempting to explain such matters are a mess, with a good amount of contradictory or just plain incorrect information. Anyone directly associated with an actual working quarry is liable to have their own understanding of definitions that can be gramatically incorrect, actually incorrect, or any combination of things are mixed with 'correct' ideas, concepts. The miners literally have their own language that suits their craft. It can be confusing.
By the door typically means Tomae strata. Mouths and eyes are often associated with hardness levels. Mouth is also seen in in other translations, not least of which is one where it is associated with the Hon Kuchi Naori. Ceiling often refers to Tenjyou strata, floor can be the lower segment of that strata, but the entire strata is fairly shallow in the Naori though.

Top Bottom