What's new

JNat Scope Shots - Diamond Plate Slurry Vs. Tomo Slurry

Thought some of you might like to check these out. I have a LOT more with a large selection of stones and methods all on the same razor, but internet at home is very slow right now - took 15 minutes to upload these. These are lit at a raking angle to emphasize scratch depth at maximum capability with my setup. Frames are almost exactly 1mm from left to right:

Diamond Plate (very worn Atoma 1200) slurry, Light Pressure Honing - Raking Light:

$Nakayama Kasagi Nashiji Side Thick DN Slurry Raking Light B.jpg

2 iterations of Tomo Slurry, same razor, same stone, same lighting:

$Nakayama Kasagi Nashiji Side 2x Tomo Slurry Raking Light B.jpg

Cool! I find some tomo combos are better than others, but I have been using atoma 1200 slurry exclusively lately. I dont feel the difference in the shave and Im not a scope guy,

This isn't a good shot to judge the edge, BTW. Lighting is key for that and these just emphasize the scratches, as stated. Some tomo nagura definitely give better edges than others, and scope shots definitely aren't always good indicators of shave feel/quality either.

If I had to go on a long trip and bring one "tomo" I would bring my ruby stone. Very hard, much harder than anything else I have and at 3k it raises a VERY fine slurry. I still prefer my atoma for ease of use. An ozuku tomo for a softer stone works well also. Are you using glycerin to finish on or drop of dish soap? That maxes it imo. And your choice of linen makes a big difference in the overall edge. Leather is great, but I don't find any difference on the shave between cowhide, roo, or cordovan. I use cordovan for its slick draw and ease of use. Foam core nylon from big easy tools works a charm after the hone. He has his wares on ebay. The material is like 8 bucks for 2 ft plus ship

Last edited:
I have been testing slurry's with a DMT 600 card and 3 different tomo slurry's and I'm not sure I can tell the difference, all I have is a 10X loupe and they all seem to give me a great shave.

If I had to go on a long trip and bring one "tomo" I would bring my ruby stone. Very hard, much harder than anything else I have and at 3k it raises a VERY fine slurry. I still prefer my atoma for ease of use. An ozuku tomo for a softer stone works well also. Are you using glycerin to finish on or drop of dish soap? That maxes it imo. And your choice of linen makes a big difference in the overall edge. Leather is great, but I don't find any difference on the shave between cowhide, roo, or cordovan. I use cordovan for its slick draw and ease of use. Foam core nylon from big easy tools works a charm after the hone. He has his wares on ebay. The material is like 8 bucks for 2 ft plus ship

I've been meaning to ask you buca. Have you been using the broken in side, or the slick side? The broken in side on mine works great for bringing up the keenness. I haven't got those results from the untreated side.

I have used both. I received mine without any treatment. U did paste one side with white compound. Have used it but prefer the clean side and have not touched it after some trials. Once you break it in slightly you will get similar results. The steel dwarf develops eventually as it does with vintage linen. The steel burnished the edge and that's what it's about.

I have used both. I received mine without any treatment. U did paste one side with white compound. Have used it but prefer the clean side and have not touched it after some trials. Once you break it in slightly you will get similar results. The steel dwarf develops eventually as it does with vintage linen. The steel burnished the edge and that's what it's about.

I'll try rubbing the spine of a razor for while and see if that helps the untreated side.

Not for this pair of photos. This set was imaged the same way I like to finish on that particular stone. A diamond slurry followed by a couple tomo slurries. I have used glycerine and soap in slurries before too, definitely can kick an edge up a notch.

Top Bottom