What's new

Jnat rookie

Don't know much about jnats, but what stone would you recommend for a budget conscious rookie?

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

In the same boat as you! Im looking for a budget finisher. Ive got it narrowed down to a couple. The Shapton 12k, c12,000, black Arkansas and the naniwa pro 12,00. What are you looking for? Bevel setter, mid, or a finish stone? Good luck! Great place to ask!
Thanking toy, Greg B.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I have a dtm 1200 and coticule, but i would like either a finisher or a stone that i could take from bevel set to finish.

Well I can not help you there! I know there's some gents here that would be able to help or give a validated opinion .
That's a pretty good jump there! I know the coti's Are very versatile. Progression of slurry takes some time learning. That's what my old man used to tell me. He said it's a very underrated stone.
I was thinking of going from the Snow White to a jnat... we'll see! Got a buddy coming over today and he's bringing a Ocean stone of some sorts to convince me that that's what I need. Oh well... we'll see. Good luck on your quest! Greg B.

Most start with a fine hard asagi like a shobudani or ozuuku, since they are plentiful and modestly priced. All relative of course. A reputable dealer is essential. You know that old saying "you get what you pay for"? Well ...

I would recommend learning a lot more about Jnats before you go spending money on one.
Knowledge is power. Learn more, think twice, buy once.

Thanks guys! Just sent an email to Alex to get more info :)

Research research is what i'm doing at the moment. No books out there that I have found. Opened up a can of worms I do believe.

Small very capable koppa sized stones can be had for a good price .anything that's large and or symmetrical will add to the price. As will any unusual coloring. Drab looking hard asagi stones can deliver your best value. Cktg had some ozuku koppa.sized for $100 or so. Japanese natural stones has some shubodani 100 sized for in that range. You will be hard pressed to deliver a better edge than you can with these. One stone used 20 different ways will deliver 20 different edges. 20 stones used the same will deliver 20 different edges. Your call of course as it is your money.

I would spend a lot of time watching Keith V. Johnson’s YouTube channel. That’s probably the single most exhaustive video resource that’s going to go extremely in depth. Also Alex’s YT channel “The Japan Stone” is another place to start. These two guys have very different approaches to the use of these stones. Good to take views from different sides of the honing spectrum.
If you’re using synthetic stones up to let’s say 8k then you may be looking for a stone & nagura combination geared more towards finishing but if you’re going from a 1k bevel set right to a jnat then you might need a stone that has mid grit to finishing abilities. A stone that can cover that wide of a range might result in a slightly less keen edge than a super hard finishing stone but would still be shave worthy. There’s a lot more to it than these two possibilities but I only offer these ideas just to illustrate the point that the jnat you choose may be influenced by the approach that preceded it. Also keep mind that nothing I’ve said even begins to address the use of a Mikawa Shiro nagura sequence.

Last edited:
lightfoot excellent suggestions! I watch Kieth all the time. Will look into the other. Greg B.

I like the koppa idea. Seems to be hard to find though

twoods im liking the kopa stones to start off on as well. Gonna chime in with Kieth to see what he has! Would love to have his surgical black!! Hehe

Starting out I would suggest choosing a stone hard enough to handle Mikawa Nagura progressions. You will learn a ton from a single stone along with with quality set of Mikawa Nagura.

That's what I would like, but i want to keep it as affordable as possible

Top Bottom