What's new

JNAt or Coticule

I am going to start learning how to hone my razors. So far I have decided I will pick up a 1k and a 4k. Not entirely sure on brands yet... But that leaves me with my final stone. I am not sure which it better? Is one easier to use? Opinions and thoughts would be helpful. Also links to where you all recommend purchasing them from. Thanks!

Get the best 1k you can afford. Naniwa Profession or Shapton are best. 4k is optional and not needed (more luxury item) with Coti or Jnat. Jnat might be easier to learn but more money and harder to select.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
On the 1k, I would strongly recommend a Chosera.
As far as the stones go, if you really want to make an educated decision (and if you already have two razors) you could send two to Bayamontate and ask for one with a jnat edge and one with a Coticule edge. You may find you have a strong preference for one over the other.
What's your budget?

As far as the stones go, if you really want to make an educated decision (and if you already have two razors) you could send two to Bayamontate and ask for one with a jnat edge and one with a Coticule edge. You may find you have a strong preference for one over the other.
What's your budget?

Elegant suggestion.

Alx

I recently buy a Suehiro 1/3 K combination . It isa gorgeos Blue - wellow stone and very strong cutter . the 3 K is very fine and i think is finer than a 3 K
Wonderfull stone , prise , quality evrything is wonderful

What's your budget?

I was going to go with the Chosera. And that is a great idea. I do have two straights (hopefully fore someday) and they do need to be rehoned. Budget wise I am thinking about setting aside 5-600. I should be looking at making my purchase is a few months from now. Need to take care of some other things first, but I want to plan a head and know I am looking at. Just curious what is your preference?

What's your budget?

Just clarifying for newbie Naniwa Professional and Chosera are same thing.

Don't expect to duplicate what you get back from Nelson. Even with the same exact stones you won't get the same result.

David

I was going to go with the Chosera. And that is a great idea. I do have two straights (hopefully fore someday) and they do need to be rehoned. Budget wise I am thinking about setting aside 5-600. I should be looking at making my purchase is a few months from now. Need to take care of some other things first, but I want to plan a head and know I am looking at. Just curious what is your preference?
i can't say that I have a preference. I have both, use both, and love both. I get smoother shaves off my coticules, but not as close.
http://www.coticule.be/CSA.html is a great place to read up on various discussions on coticules.
To get fluent in jnats, try http://www.tomonagura.com/jnats/japanese-whetstone-info/There's Theres a wealth of information on both sites.

Last edited:
i can't say that I have a preference. I have both, use both, and love both. I get smoother shaves off my coticules, but not as close.
http://www.coticule.be/CSA.html is a great place to read up on various discussions on coticules.
To get fluent in jnats, try http://www.tomonagura.com/jnats/japanese-whetstone-info/There's Theres a wealth of information on both sites.

Thanks for the info. I will check those out. I guess another question is pricing. When I said 5-600 that will include everything that I want to get (1k, 3-4, and a jnat/cuti). From I am starting to see JANT are going to be more expensive. Starting off what size should I look at. I have been seeing JNAT that can fit in your hand and then some that are bigger.

Last edited:

David

I really like something around 5x3. It's a good all around size that works great in the hand or on the bench.

The 1k Chosera is easy. The Jnat is more difficult and requires some networking. After you have read through Tomonagura.com, take a look at Aframestokyo.com and Thejapanstone.com. Buying Jnats reminds me of buying horses which is always challenging. If you know and trust the seller it is easier, but still very subjective. There are no quantifiable measurements for cutting speed, grit density, hardness, particle characteristics, or even grit. Each seller has their own grading scale and even then, what did they really do to select the rating for a particular stone. You will pay more for a stone that is claimed to have come from the Nakayama mine, whether or not it actually did. And, even if it is a Nakayama is it really better than a stone from other great mines 10 miles away. Certainly not determinable from a picture. Nagura are also challenging. Just because they have an official Asano stamp, does not assure any claims of their efficacy. I know, this really sucks.

Start out having Nelson hone your razor and ask him for some guidance.

^damn... I was already thinking it would be a lottle difficult but that is crazy. Glad I have a few months to look. Thanks for the tips. Who is Nelson? Lol....

I have not fallen into the Jnat rabbit hole yet, but have spent a fair amount of time going down the coticule path. I have enjoyed every step of the journey and it continues to be enjoyable for me. I am cursed with fairly sensitive skin and the coticule makes an outstanding solution to this. Contacting Ardennes, or Jarrod and the Superior shave and telling them you are an aspiring razor honer will get you into a stone that will do the job wonderfully.

I have not fallen into the Jnat rabbit hole yet, but have spent a fair amount of time going down the coticule path. I have enjoyed every step of the journey and it continues to be enjoyable for me. I am cursed with fairly sensitive skin and the coticule makes an outstanding solution to this. Contacting Ardennes, or Jarrod and the Superior shave and telling them you are an aspiring razor honer will get you into a stone that will do the job wonderfully.

I have been using my straights for almost 3 years now and I really think it is time that I start learning how to hone. Hopefully in a few months I will be ready to purchase what I need. Sadly my house, wife and kids come first (joys of being an adult).

Nothing at all wrong with taking your time. I am a firm believer in research PRIOR to pulling out the wallet.

Totally agree... Now that I am starting to look and seeing some prices I am thinking I might need to save up a bit more just in case! But in the long term it will be worth the investment as I do plan on adding more straights to my collection.

Top Bottom