What's new

JM Fraser's shaving cream

I think the JM is great stuff - it compares well with the high end stuff and the fact that its cheap as chips just makes it one of the best values in wetshavedom.

My only beef is that I don't love the scent, but I know Polar Ice and Oriental Spice versions are in the mix.

If anyone is looking for a great everyday cream at a reasonable price, you should definitely consider the JM - oh yeah, pick up a bottle of the Booster aftershave while you're at it.

The best thing about the JM is that I can get it locally!

I used my sample (Thanks John and John!) again yesterday, with the same conclusion -- this stuff performs beautifully (especially at the price point!). Sadly, the scent isn't my favorite. (I smell bananas -- surely a generic aberration on my part.)

I used my sample (Thanks John and John!) again yesterday, with the same conclusion -- this stuff performs beautifully (especially at the price point!). Sadly, the scent isn't my favorite. (I smell bananas -- surely a generic aberration on my part.)

Chad, it's all good brother! Not everyone likes the scent and we are good with that. Now if you were a Louisville fan and didn't like it - well that would be a different story. :biggrin:

Chad, it's all good brother! Not everyone likes the scent and we are good with that. Now if you were a Louisville fan and didn't like it - well that would be a different story. :biggrin:

Thanks John! I am seriously considering the polar ice scented version you've worked to bring about. That one should be a winner (as should Kentucky on the 31st! :wink:).

This is the only cream I use now. It produce a slick lather and allows me to shave with no irritation at all. Shavingessentials.com was the only place in the US that I could find it. If they stop making this stuff I don't know what I'll do.:w00t:

my last four shaves have been with fraser's polar ice and i've come to believe that they've been the best shaves of my life. this cream is no joke. the cushion and mounds of fluffy cream are heavenly and the skincare can NOT be beaten or improved upon.

what took me so long to find the best?

I may be interested in trying this.
Can anyone list the ingredients?

Thanks,
AAA

Ingredients:aqua, stearic acid, coconut oil glycerin,potassium hydroxide, sodium hydroxide, sodium borate, imidazolidimyl urea and fragance.

anybody have the Polar Ice and the original Fraser.
Do you think they are equal or is one better.

I should receive a sample Polar Ice this week,
will be able to give my opinion soon on both.

Aside from the scent, (taste varies from person to person),
it's hard to improve a product that is allready one of the best there is.

anybody have the Polar Ice and the original Fraser.
Do you think they are equal or is one better.

I should receive a sample Polar Ice this week,
will be able to give my opinion soon on both.

Aside from the scent, (taste varies from person to person),
it's hard to improve a product that is allready one of the best there is.

OK, I have been delaying my full review because I wanted to get a good base for comparison, and get some experience with it. For those of you who have tried the original JMF, you know how easy it is to make a great lather, and you know how slick and moisturizing it is. After shaving multiple times with each cream, and actually a shave with both, I can say these creams are the same. This cream lives up to the high performance standards of the original. I will buy one of every scent they make available. If you have not tried the original, you just need to make a choice, which one you want to try first, or buy both. It really is a fantastic product.

That being said, I talked with John a bit about the scent. I don't have the best sniffer around, but I thought the scent was a bit weak compared to the original. If another manufacturer was making it I would not have questioned it. The scent is great, but the original has such a strong noticeable scent and this just did not have the oomph in my opinion of the original.

Thanks to all involved!

Rodd...same here on the scent. I really like it but it needs to be 'kicked up a few notches', IMHO. Other than that, the Polar Ice Cream is as fantastic as the original JMF. :wink:

This is probably the shaving cream I use the most often anymore. I don't have any complaints about it at all. I don't really enjoy the scent but I don't find it offensive either fortunately, I don't use it for it's scent. That's what After shaves and colognes are for. The packaging is fabulous. It holds the shaving cream. All 450ml of it. What more do you want? It lathers really good. I shave my head as well as my face, and I can usually get enough lather for several passes of both with just a little bit of cream.

I've been shaving with original JMF for about a month now. I really like the slickness of the cream but I can't seem to able to lather very well with this cream.
Perhaps it's my hard water in Calgary, but it's so easy to make a lot of lather with TOBS, just a touch of it gives me lots of big puffy lather.
With JMF, lather is very low although very tight and with peaks.
I'm so used to lather just filling bowl.
What am I doing wrong? Do I need more water? More cream? I'm using same amounts of water and cream as with other creams but it just doesn't lather the same.
Any advice?

Slayer,

J.M. Fraser's is a little different when it comes to lathering in terms of it's consistency. You're not going to get so much lather it spills over the sides of the bowl unless you add lots and lots of water. But that is where Fraser's is different; it performs best (big IMO here), when it's good and thick. I say don't use more water than you'd use with other creams, use that thick and pasty stuff. I'm not saying use it dry, but it's a much thicker consistency than other creams when lathered up. I love the stuff. The amount of lather it produces does not matter; how it shaves does. Are you getting a great shave with it? That is what counts and if you are, you are doing nothing wrong.

Allen,

It seem that I'm doing everything like you described and getting great shaves, it's just I happen to read all these reviews that say that it lathers very easy and well and I thought: why don't I get all this? :)

Thanks for your reply.

Just received a tub of original from sanpaku. While the scent is not my favorite, the shave is probably the best I've had from a cream. My face feels very smooth afterwards. I'll be purchasing polar ice when I get close to the bottom of this tub, which may not be for a few years. :biggrin:

Top Bottom