2023 GRUYERE #49 - Still in
January 2023 GRUME #18 - Still in

Date: 01.21.23
Days growth: 3

Head shaver

Razor: Gillette Super Speed
Blade: Gillette Platinum
Brush: Custom elk antler boar

Pre-shave: Hot shower using Dr. Bronners peppermint Castile soap on face and head with facial scrubber

Lather: b-Pure shave puck (Dollartree)
Bowl: Fine Accoutrements blue/white

Passes: 3

Post Shave Routine and products:
1 - Hot rinse with microfiber towel X2
2 - Cold rinse with microfiber towel X1
3 - Alum block
4 - Cold rinse with microfiber towel X1
5 - Aftershave - Black Magic alchohol free
6 - Balm: Nivea sensitive skin

Time from shower on to dressed and ready: 1hr 4min

NOTES: Very plesant shave overall. Trying the Dr. Bronners instead of baby wash on head/face as well as whole body. I like the super speed very well, nice balance of nimble but with good weight. The Gillette Platinum is a solid blade in my opinion. The boar brush is getting better and better breaking in after DecemBoar. The b-Pure is pretty decent but doesn't have a lot of volume, had to load brush twice to build good initial lather, very light scent. The Black Magic is pretty good stuff, no burn due to no alchohol with clean floral scent. Very light feedback on alum. I love the Nivea sensitive skin post shave balm. Overall 9/10 comfort and 9.5/10 smoothness/closeness >> 9.25.

Attachments

• 20230121_141111.jpg
    20230121_141111.jpg
    991.1 KB · Views: 3
20230124_065420.jpg

Date: 01.24.23

Head shaver

Razor: Van Der Hagen tto
Blade: Rapira stainless (2)
Brush: Custom elk antler boar

Pre-shave: Hot shower using Dr. Bronner's tea tree soap on face and head with facial scrubber

Lather: Proraso white cream

Passes: 1

3 - Alum block
5 - Aftershave - Clubman Pinaud
6 - Balm: None

Time from shower on to dressed and ready: 51 min

NOTES: I just wanted a quick easy going shave this morning. I got exactly what I wanted! Not as close obviously as doing a 2 pass or my normal 3 pass shave. Definitely looked great but I feel a little stubble in areas, not visible. I love the clean green/floral scent of Proraso white. No feedback whatsoever from the alum. Finished off with the classic Clubman Pinaud. No post shave balm, I find the Proraso products very moisturizing.

Quality: 8
Comfort: 10
Overall: 9
DCS +

Date: 01.27.23

Head shaver

Razor: Gillette Tech Razor
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (3)
Brush: Ever Ready R40 Pure Badger

Pre-shave: Hot shower using Nablus soap block that I also used on my body applied with a facial scrub brush.

Lather: Face lather with Nablus soap block

3 - Alum block
5 - Aftershave - Grey Flannel EDT
6 - Balm: N/A

Time from shower on to dressed and ready:
1 hr 12 minutes

NOTES: I purchased a Nablus soap block because I saw a YouTube video of this ancient soap being made in Palastine of just olive oil, lye, and water. This was purchased for showing but I searched then to see if it could be used for shaving and found yes, so I tried it. I have to say this is the best shave I've had. This soap was slicker than anything I have used (only about a dozen or so pucks/soaps/creams). I had a BBS+ shave:
Comfort: 10
Quality: 10

01.27.23ShaveStuff.png

Sadly, my alum block fell and shattered everywhere :(

BrokenAlum.png

BTW, I highly recommend you stop using alum after every shave.

I don't know how often your ladies give you cheek or head pecks, but they will taste this on their lips!
That is interesting. That makes me wonder if there are then adverse effects from alum. I shave every 3 days unless there is a need to shave in between like if I have a special whatever to attend. Thanks

01.30.23_Shave_Pic.png

Date: 01.30.23

Head shaver

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Astra SP (1)
Brush: Parker Synthetic (WHSY)

Pre-shave: Hot shower using Nablus soap on face and head with facial scrubber

Lather: Naplus Soap - face lathered

Passes: 3 (All on setting 3 with the Progress)

3 - Alum block
5 - Aftershave - Clubman Pinaud
6 - Balm: Nivea Sensitive skin

Time from shower on to dressed and ready:
1 hr 2 min

NOTES: A real nice shave today. I nicked my ear where it attaches to my head, slight slip. The Merkur Progress is a little trickier than some of my other razors for the ears due to the head being bulky. I love the razor though. The Nablus soap is really amazing; second time using it. Very smooth shave, low irritation, low feedback from the alumn. The Clubman Pinaud did have a pretty good burn but just for a minute. I sure like the classic scent.
Quality: 9.5/10
Comfort: 9.0/10
Overall: 9.25/10

February 2023 GRUME #37 - First shave of February

Razor: Gillette Fatboy
Blade: Personna Med Prep (4)
Brush: Vielong Black Horse Hair
Pre-shave: Hot shower using Dr. Brunner's Almond on face and head with facial scrubber
Lather: Arko Stick - Face lather
Passes: 2 - 1st pass #4 - 2nd pass #2
3 - Alum block
5 - Aftershave - Original Old Spice
6 - Balm: LEA 3in1

NOTES: What a great shave. I'm really enjoying my Christmas gift Fatboy, 5th time using (4th time with Med Prep blade). I find the Fatboy easy to handle and love the weight. The Vielong black horse hair surprised me today, it does not have a lot of backbone but it does splay very nicely and offers a mild scrub. The brush lathered that Arko right up. Light feedback with the Alum, Old Spice, and the LEA 3in1 - I really like the little menthol afterburn/tingle from the LEA.
Comfort: 10/10
Quality: 9/10 (If I'd done a 3rd pass it would have been a 10/10 I am sure)
Overall: 9.5/10

Time: 1hr 4 min from shower on to dressed (this is really for personal tracking of course and includes a lot of bathroom wipe down etc...)

02.02.23_ShaveStuffPic.png

February 2023 GRUME #37 - First shave of February

Razor: Gillette Fatboy
Blade: Personna Med Prep (4)
Brush: Vielong Black Horse Hair
Pre-shave: Hot shower using Dr. Brunner's Almond on face and head with facial scrubber
Lather: Arko Stick - Face lather
Passes: 2 - 1st pass #4 - 2nd pass #2
3 - Alum block
5 - Aftershave - Original Old Spice

NOTES: What a great shave. I'm really enjoying my Christmas gift Fatboy, 5th time using (4th time with Med Prep blade). I find the Fatboy easy to handle and love the weight. The Vielong black horse hair surprised me today, it does not have a lot of backbone but it does splay very nicely and offers a mild scrub. The brush lathered that Arko right up. Light feedback with the Alum, Old Spice, and the LEA 3in1 - I really like the little menthol afterburn/tingle from the LEA.
Comfort: 10/10
Quality: 9/10 (If I'd done a 3rd pass it would have been a 10/10 I am sure)
Overall: 9.5/10

Time: 1hr 4 min from shower on to dressed (this is really for personal tracking of course and includes a lot of bathroom wipe down etc...)

View attachment 1599071

Great kit and photo, great choice in lighthouses! And that Arko stick looks like it's seen some things.

Oh!! Of course!! I didn't figure out it was an aftershave art bottle. Very cool!!

I liked the idea that you had a ceramic lighthouse sitting around waiting to be in a photo, but there's more symmetry with it being a tower of old spice.

February 2023 GRUME #37 - Still in

Date: 02.05.23

Head shaver

Razor: 1933 Gillette tech razor
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (4)
Brush: Parker Synthetic

Pre-shave: Hot shower using baby wash on face and head with facial scrubber

Lather: Tabac soap

3 - Alum block
5 - Aftershave - Draggon Noir

Time from shower on to dressed and ready: N/A lazy Sunday shave

NOTES: What a fantastic shave! Smooth as could be, no irritation at all. I'm pretty happy with the Gillette Silver Blue. I am in love with my Gillette tech razor, so consistent, mild but efficient. The Tabac, Draggon Noir, and LEA 3in1 really worked well together. Not a combination I would have selected, that is the beauty of the randomizer.
Quality: 10/10 BBS
Comfort 10/10
Overall: 10/10

20230205_075208.jpg

Hi @Guido75.

Thanks for asking. My wife and I are currently separated. We are seeing a therapist weekly. I'm encouraged and she is too. I'm hopeful and think there's a good chance we'll work things out.
Now that seriously puts a smile on my face! I sincerely hope it works out for you two. You just keep shaving to show your most handsome face!

Cheers,

Guido

20230208_065749.jpg

February 2023 GRUME #37 - Still in

Date: 02.08.23

Head shaver

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Personna med Prep (2)
Brush: Parker synthetic

Pre-shave: Hot shower using Dr. Bronners rose on face and head with facial scrubber

Lather: Burma-shave 1990's re-release puck and mug.

3 - Alum block
5 - Aftershave - Mamara #2
6 - Balm: Nivea sensitive skin

Time from shower on to dressed and ready: 55min.

NOTES: Just a great shave! I did nic my upper lip pretty good but not horrible. The Burma-shave was very plesant and provided good creamy lather that was slick enough and had good cushion. I love my Progress and love the med Prep blades.

Quality 9.5
Comfort 9.0
Overall: 9.25

Last edited:
Top Bottom