What's new

Jimps

I cant seem to keep both hands dry while shaving so have to constantly
towel off my hands while switching. Even jimps don't seem to help.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
As far as ‘grip’ goes, a tang shape/proportion that suits your hand is more important.

I have razors with none, top, bottom, and both. Presence or lack of jimps doesn’t affect my choice of blade, but top and bottom jimps are a nice touch, especially if they are cut to the corners. Machine cut jimps top and bottom are also the sign of a more expensive, and usually better class of razor, so there are sometimes bonuses with nice jimps.

There are a few razors that the jimps are a work if machining art in themselves.

I was just reading the spyderco razor thread and people seem to agree that top and bottom jimps is a must. Why?
In my experience, if you let tang or fingers get wet or leathery, it can slip in your fingers with or without jimps. If you keep tang and fingers dry, no risk of slipping.

I prefer the look and feel of razors without jimps, even ordered my Rigarazor without.

This may only be my experience, I'm interested in other's thoughts on the matter.

I agree about the limited utility of jimps,
but I have the opposite opinion on the look and feel.

I like sharply cut jimps, even more so when they're fine
instead of coarse, and even more on the inside of thumb notch.

Fri Feb 21 06-39-05.jpg

DSCN0866c.jpg

I started out wanting jimps on my razors. Found a couple that looked great that were jimpless and gave them a try. I am now ambjimprous.

As far as ‘grip’ goes, a tang shape/proportion that suits your hand is more important.

I have razors with none, top, bottom, and both. Presence or lack of jimps doesn’t affect my choice of blade, but top and bottom jimps are a nice touch, especially if they are cut to the corners. Machine cut jimps top and bottom are also the sign of a more expensive, and usually better class of razor, so there are sometimes bonuses with nice jimps.

There are a few razors that the jimps are a work if machining art in themselves.

I like the way that these are cut. For scale, the lower jimps
are shown over George's eyes, and the upper jimps are shown
under. Sometimes, I also find it amusing to find out the meaning
of what's stamped on the shank.

DSCN0887b.jpg

Fri Feb 21 03-57-53.jpg

Fri Feb 21 03-59-06.jpg

HOFI00057_m.jpg

I like bottom jimps but I can certainly still shave without them. Razors with a thumbnotch generally do not have them. I generally don't like thumbnotches because they aren't always compatible with preferred my gripping style.

Regarding aesthetics, I think having both top and bottom jimps makes for a nice look (like a Robert Williams or the Jacob Ray pictured below). For me, the top jimps do nothing to make the razor easier to grip or control...but look cool. Oddly enough, I have a Rigarazor with only top jimps (go figure)

So I'd say go for a jimpless razor if that's what you like. You could always put a dab of alum on your thump if you find that your thumb is slipping. I haven't experienced any issue gripping the Riga.

Jacob Ray (top and bottom jimps):

1582493312837.png

Riga (top jimps only)
1582493231309.png

Top Bottom