What's new

Jende Nanocloth Ultra Strops

Not that I am necessarily interested in using these, but I noticed Sharpening Supplies has begun carrying them and thought it might interest some folks here. Anyone try these with straight razors?

It doesn't say what the substrate is.
I do not use pastes or sprays but I wouldn't think it would fair much better than leather for application and usage but who knows.

The substrate is "nanocloth," no? The block underneath, I take to be some kind of plastic from the coloration and the pix.

Have you given the Soligen red and black crayon pastes a shot with sanded vegetable-tanned leather? Loaded as though you were shining a worn pair of shoes? I think they work pretty well that way.

I have used nanocloth in the past with CBN. It honestly works very very well, but for the cost, a balsa strop is easily if not more effective and significantly less expensive. The other issue is that it works best if you spritz the nanocloth with water to dampen prior to use. Now you have to wait for it to dry before you can put it away.
The benefit of nanocloth is that if you use .1CBN or diamond, that is exactly the particulate size your using. With balsa, because the abrasives embed into it, you effectively end up with a smaller particle size.

I have used nanocloth in the past with CBN. It honestly works very very well, but for the cost, a balsa strop is easily if not more effective and significantly less expensive. The other issue is that it works best if you spritz the nanocloth with water to dampen prior to use. Now you have to wait for it to dry before you can put it away.
The benefit of nanocloth is that if you use .1CBN or diamond, that is exactly the particulate size your using. With balsa, because the abrasives embed into it, you effectively end up with a smaller particle size.

Thank you for your comments. Like I said, I'm not interested in using the products as linked, just wanted to let people know about them. I boldfaced your last sentence as quoted in that I find it interesting as applied to the Soligen pastes used on balsa and sanded vegetable tanned leather. For example, the Solingen red paste is rated at 2-4 microns and yet used on a strop, it refines an edge off a coticule. So I have sort of wondered if the effective particle size is reduced by it sinking into the stropping surface as you mention.

Top Bottom