What's new

Jeans Going Out Of Style?

Just a reporter maiking a story out of nothing. This has happened before. Fashion and trends are always ebbing and flowing. I can't see moms wearing yoga pants around all day every day, can you?

I wear jeans where and when I want, not because of any fashion trends.

I totally agree. I'll always wear jeans, regardless of trends. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the larger jean manufacturers gap etc. saw decline in sales because they are putting out a poor quality pair of jeans.

There seems to be a bit of raw / selvedge jean renaissance going on, where people are looking for higher quality, longer lasting jeans, instead of some junky pair of $60 pre-distressed mall jeans that only last a year.

I still have noticed many kids / teens have been wearing alot of athletic / synthetic clothes recently.

Hm, my jeans aren't going anywhere.

As for younger generations...who knows. IMO going into public wearing athletic wear is akin to wearing pajamas. I don't wear my pajamas to the store, and I sure don't put on my workout clothes.

Do you seriously concern yourself about the style opinions of someone you'll never even meet? I stopped paying attention to what others thought was "in style" shortly after high school.

What else would we be wearing? Everybody going back to wearing suits like in the early-mid 1900's? I have noticed more people wearing shorts and flip flops to church. So it's either we all dress up more or wear more shorts. Or we just stick to jeans like we probably will.

I am always in jeans and a Tshirt add a long sleeve wrangler shirt in the winter (unless I am at work then I am in an itchy wool uniform and a sweaty stiff cotton shirt with a tie.)

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
So does this mean I'll actually be in style now?

Since everything out of style is in style.

I think these articles pop up in a regular cycle. I remember reading my first one.

The world did not end. Yet.

Jeans, like leather coats, are classic and will never go out of style...not in my lifetime anyway! And, besides, if they do go out of style, I'll still wear them and maybe I'll finally be able to make a fashion statement!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The world will not end regardless of the fate of jeans.

At their root, jeans got their "street cred" from being the rough & rugged choice of the workin'est workin' men out there, back in the day ... back in the day when they were the toughest pants going for a workin' man who needed tough pants.

Of course, there are problems with the fabric. The workin'est workin' men of today now have better options, and "denim" is being relegated to "fashion statement" fabric. Oh sure, you can wear them for work if you like and they'll do fine most of the time ... but there are tougher options out there. You can wear them for leisure ... for fun times ... for kickin' back on the weekend and what-not. Hey sure, but ... there are better options out there for that, too. New fabrics, new designs ...

Look, I got no dog in this fight. I don't own stock in Levi's, or in Carhartt or Bill's Khaki's ... or any other pantsmaker for that matter. I'm just saying that cotton denim may be a fabric which time is now finally going to pass by. Wearing denim 50 years from now may be a sort of "nostalgia" thing that guys do when they read Kerouac and Steinbeck, and drive off in search of the original Route 66. It'll be almost as weird as that "wetshaving" thing with straight razors and safety razors and lather brushes and such.

Jeans/denim pants will always be in style in my opinion. Just look at the resurgence in denim jackets.

On another note, denim shorts, also known as "jorts" are out of style for the most part.

Top Bottom