What's new

JC's Third cleanup - Bari danish design

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Yep! Another YouTube guy who’s vids are 4X too long 😂 My posts are too long, but if I ever figure out how to YouTube, those will be mercifully short
He's an amazing artist, but he could just say to mix the epoxy for 6 minutes instead of recording it.
His stamping logos video was really informative but way more expensive and detailed than I'll ever get to. That's some complicated stuff there!

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
OK, this is out of order but I finally finished the Bari. And Lordy was it FILTHY! The guy never put a pipe cleaner through it, it seems! And as for George's tool?

time.jpg

However, it is a very, very good idea. So I used some sandpaper and squared up the spine of a small paring knife and did the same thing, basically. Worked a treat!

Here is the cleaning of the airway

pipe.jpg

you can see most of the char has been scraped off already. I used the Kleen Ream tool to ream the bowl. Now some Murphy's oil soap (paper towel inside). Cleaned up nicely.

pipe2.jpg

The alcohol soak.

pipe3.jpg

Then on to the stem. You can see from the original pics it was disgusting. I could barely push the first pipe cleaner through there was so much sludge. Lots of hot, soapy water and a dozen cleaners later, it was done.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Then, some Howard's butcher block conditioner, rubbed in and wiped off. Then some Paragon wax, hand-rubbed till very warm then buffed off with a micro-fiber cloth. I learned that the Paragon is mosly liquid, it settles, but mix it with your finger tip and it will liquify, then apply and let dry for 10 minutes. Palm buff till hot, then cloth buff. I'm still happier with this than the hard cotton wheel, carnauba type shine. This is perfect. A lot of elbow grease, but came out great!

F1.jpg

F2.jpg

F3.jpg

The rim looks great considering the original condition, and that grain in the last one is very nice, indeed. I'm delighted with this one!

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Good lord! That thing was nasty! Anyone know how bleach solution affects acrylic stems? It still has taste in it. Maybe I need to attack the airway some more, too with alcohol.

I swear the original owner never did anything to that pipe. Like use pipe cleaners.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Good lord! That thing was nasty! Anyone know how bleach solution affects acrylic stems? It still has taste in it. Maybe I need to attack the airway some more, too with alcohol.

I swear the original owner never did anything to that pipe. Like use pipe cleaners.
I'd be worried something bad would happen, if not color wise, then chemically.
I bought some wire twisted nylon brushes from Amazon that are stiffer than pipe cleaners and really do a good job of cleaning with hot water.

71dfdDhLlRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I’m resoaking the stem in hot soapy water and have a doubled pipe cleaner soaked in alcohol in the airway. I forgot to mention I topped the rim lightly with all the micromesh pads and sanded the stummel with only 6000, 8000, and 12000.

I'd be worried something bad would happen, if not color wise, then chemically.
I bought some wire twisted nylon brushes from Amazon that are stiffer than pipe cleaners and really do a good job of cleaning with hot water.

View attachment 1384884
Can you post your thoughts on them when you use them? I'm curious about their flexibility (say, to get through the bend of an oom paul shape) and strength to plow through a clog (from that same oom paul). Thanks!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Can you post your thoughts on them when you use them? I'm curious about their flexibility (say, to get through the bend of an oom paul shape) and strength to plow through a clog (from that same oom paul). Thanks!
The smaller ones will absolutely bend. In fact if you grab too far away from insertion point it wants to bend on its own as you push it in.
I just grab it close and feed it in bite size bits until I have it where I want it then work it back and forth. If you're in a tight spot, there is a little resistance as you move it back and forth as the bristles flip from one way to the other.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
That came out looking great!! How'd it smoke?

Pretty good! I was worried about it, but the extra time I spent cleaning the stem paid off. Man, that thing was just full of sludge. It was clear the former owner put all the cake on there and literally never ran a pipe cleaner through the pipe. Just smoke, empty, load, do it again. It was disgusting.

Great now, I love it! Cleaned up great.

Top Bottom