What's new

Jays Journal

Just finished cleaning up from my shave.
I have too much stuff!
I really need to choose a couple items from each "category" and get rid of the rest. I think a selection of 4 razors, 4 blades, 4 soaps, and 2 or 3 brushes. Simple but would give me some variety.

Something to ponder at work tonight.

I think that starting this weekend (SWS) I will start using a soap for a month or more at a time till its finished. Begin with my least liked soap and thin the herd.

Ultimately 4 maybe 5 soaps...primarily hard triple milled style in rotation. Maybe buy a "fancy" soap on occasion.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
“Fancy” did you say?

ABC2F67E-D96C-4690-8022-1062D544DE05.jpeg

Get some!

LOL ya I have already decided ARKO! makes the keep list. I have 2 or 3 unopened sticks and one smooshed into an aluminum tin.

Pretty sure Mitchells wool fat is also a keeper...maybe my favorite. Love the scent!

1-13-23 Friday PM

SWS: 3 of 52
365: 14 of 365
01 GRUME: 14 of 31

Razor: Lupo aluminum
Blade: TreeT platinum
Soap: Blue Barbershop
Brush: RR Bruce

RR Blue barbershop is the first up for clearing out.
Scooped 34.8g (about 1/4 of what is left in tub) of soap into the empty wilkinson sword soap dish/loading bowl.
3 pass= DFS++. Still a bit sensitive from the other day but survived. Some redness on cheeks and neck.

Be well
Jay
20230113_150709.jpg

1-14-23 Sat. Noon

365: 15 of 365
01 GRUME: 15 of 31

Blade: TreeT platinum (2)

2 pass N-S&S-N= DFS. Treet platinum in the Lupo is Smooth maybe too smooth. Managed to catch the dent in my jaw from an old break. Cut that bled for at least 5 minutes after alum. The Ghost-town splash reminds me of summers at my Grandparents. Smelling like dirt, campfires, and gun smoke. With an undertone of the soap (homemade) we had to use before we were allowed in the house. Unusual but pleasant.

Be well
Jay

1-15-23 Sun. PM

365: 16 of 365
01 GRUME: 16 of 31

Blade: TreeT platinum (3)

Be well
Jay

1-16-23 Mon. AM

365: 17 of 365
01 GRUME: 17 of 31

Blade: TreeT platinum (4)

3 pass = DFS++ Showered first for a change then used a light touch for a smooth finish.

Be well
Jay

1-17-23 Tue. AM

365: 18 of 365
01 GRUME: 18 of 31

Blade: TreeT platinum (5)

3 pass = DFS+++ Repeat of yesterdays smooth post shower shave. Skipped Henson on cleanup pass and went for it with the Lupo. Bit more redness on neck then usual, took a few minutes longer to settle down.

Be well
Jay

1-18-23 Wed. PM

365: 19 of 365
01 GRUME: 19 of 31

Blade: TreeT platinum (6)
Brush: RR Bruce bowl lather

DFS after 2 passes, N - S then S - N. Focused on short, light pressure buffing style strokes. Skipped the Henson cleanup pass and only have a tiny bit left on jawline and around adams apple. Pretty satisfying shave.

Be well
Jay

1-19-23 Thur. PM

365: 20 of 365
01 GRUME: 20 of 31

Blade: TreeT platinum (7)
Brush: RR Bruce bowl lather

3 passes, N-S, N-S, and S-N. Tried something different tonight. Worked very well. DFS+++ and very little Alum feedback! Lupo for all three passes works fine as long as I keep it shallow. The Treet is still smooth after 7 shaves, impressed.

Be well
Jay

1-20-23 Fri. PM Start of a new SWS

SWS: 4 of 52
365: 21 of 365
01 GRUME: 21 of 31

Razor: Ball-end Tech
Blade: BIC chrome-platinum
Brush: Semogue 1305 bowl lather

3 passes, N-S, N-S, and S-N. DFS+ not as close a shave as the Lupo and Treet. I assume I had the angle off a bit.

Be well
Jay

1-21-23 Sat. PM

365: 22 of 365
01 GRUME: 22 of 31

Razor: Lord L5
Blade: BIC chrome-platinum (2)

3 passes, N-S, N-S, and S-N. DFS++. Decided to try a Tech clone that is highly recommended by @Quaznoid
All I can say is Thank You Brother, I can't believe how well this sub10$ razor shaves. Slightly more efficient then my Tech and balanced head heavy. Bit of heat 20 minutes after shaving but that is on me.

Be well
Jay

1-22-23 Sun. PM

365: 23 of 365
01 GRUME: 23 of 31

Razor: Lord L5
Blade: BIC chrome-platinum (3)

3 passes, N-S, N-S, and S-N. DFS++. Smooth shave, nothing to note.

Be well
Jay

1-24-23 Tues. AM

365: 25 of 365
Jan. GRUME: Out

Razor: Ball-end Tech
Blade: BIC chrome-platinum (5)

Breakfast with the Missus, couple pints from our local brewery, and closed out with 2 1/2 smooth passes leaving DFS++.

For me there's not better of a way to end a day!

Be well
Jay

A few notes to myself before I fall asleep.

Is the Lord L5 better then the Tech??
I dont know, maybe.

Do NOT buy another boar. Synthetic works better. Wonder what Badger is like?

Daily shaving probably isnt for you. Might be time to accept reality and throw in the towel. Every day and a half is enough through the week, save the daily for the weekend.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Wonder what Badger is like?

Some folks love badger more than any other fiber type. Going through a badger binge myself (used both this month and will keep using the smaller one for a while), but synthetic is the best. Always ready, easier cleaning, faster drying, wider intentional variety of available textures. Animals and plants involved in the bristles were dead before the invention of agriculture (all arguments against plastics invalidated by fact most brushes have synthetic or partially synthetic handles and have traveled thousands of miles of fossil-burning transport and delivered in plastic-wrapped packaging).

You’re still going to wonder, though, aren’t you?

Daily shaving probably isnt for you. Might be time to accept reality and throw in the towel.

It could be daily shaving with the amount of pressure you currently use or the amount of strokes you make per pass or the hydration of your lather is not for you.

Would it be possible to use just your Lupo or Henson (one of those is yours, right?) and your sharpest blade and pretend your skin is a landmine that is armed by lathering and will explode if your razor indents the skin? (Advice I need to take, but ask of you if your daily shaves are more brutal to you than your whiskers).

Some folks love badger more than any other fiber type. Going through a badger binge myself (used both this month and will keep using the smaller one for a while), but synthetic is the best. Always ready, easier cleaning, faster drying, wider intentional variety of available textures. Animals and plants involved in the bristles were dead before the invention of agriculture (all arguments against plastics invalidated by fact most brushes have synthetic or partially synthetic handles and have traveled thousands of miles of fossil-burning transport and delivered in plastic-wrapped packaging).

You’re still going to wonder, though, aren’t you?

It could be daily shaving with the amount of pressure you currently use or the amount of strokes you make per pass or the hydration of your lather is not for you.

Would it be possible to use just your Lupo or Henson (one of those is yours, right?) and your sharpest blade and pretend your skin is a landmine that is armed by lathering and will explode if your razor indents the skin? (Advice I need to take, but ask of you if your daily shaves are more brutal to you than your whiskers).
Your right. I think my lather has been off. Just realized that I stopped using bottled/RO water and started using tap water. Our well is pretty hard with a fair amount of iron. We have a softener but its still hard.

I have also started chasing BBS everyshave. No idea why.
So less passes and keep in mind a minefield covered in soap!

Thank you!
Jay

Top Bottom