What's new

Jay21's Journey Journal

Thanks to everyone who has replied. The advice is very appreciated and I'm putting it into practice and am already seeing some results. I ordered some better soap this week (Catie's Bubbles; I specifically looked for a soap without tallow) and I'll have it in a few days. I've come to realize that cream in general, especially Proraso, isn't for me. Soap is much more protective on my face.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I can get a great shave from the 6c. you just haven't learned the proper angle of the head. The more aggressive razors have a wider opening. This allows for a wider sweet spot. Meaning the angle is open more to get a good shave. The smaller the blade gap the less wiggle room you have to shave with or a smaller sweet spot for the proper angle.

It just takes more practice. Now some folks will say the soaps you are using are fine. but IMO you are using the bottom of the barrel soaps. Soap is a personal thing. But when you have been at this for decades you learn a lot about soaps. Sure, some cheaper soaps are fine. But for the inexperienced you need all the help you can get. I do have Arco in my soap rotation. But I know what I'm doing with it.

Cold water shaving is great in the summer. And some people feel they get a more comfortable shave from it so if it works for ya, go for it. I love a cold water shave after I've mowed the yards and taken a shower. You have two good razors. I like to start new guys off with the 6c and the 4 plate. Stick with them and learn them. Changing to different razors is not the answer. Learning them is. Changing to different baldes can help and better soaps. Practice and learn the angle and how to use no pressure. It takes a bit of time but not as long as if you were learning to use a Straight Razor.
I know this is heretical to some here, so I apologize in advance so I won't be taken to task later on. Proraso White didn't work for me. I found a few better soaps quite early in my journey here thx to @Tomo and Aaron/ @APBinNCA . They took me under their wing in a couple threads that were running when I joined B&B. You don't have to buy the most expensive soaps available but there has been a big difference for me when I moved to Canada Shaving Soap, Baume.be, Acca Kappa Barbershop, etc. at the very beginning of my journey. I've added a few great unscented soaps along the way, since my skin reacts to the ingredients used for fragrances, or so my dermatologist told me.

Here are two threads among many available. I learned a lot on both these threads. If you are interested, you can read @Tomo and @ABP 's advice to me during my first weeks here.

Well, this morning I managed to snatch a DFS from the jaws of victory due to my own stupidity. I was off to great start. Two days worth of growth, pre-shave lotion, excellent soap lather, and two passes (WTG, XTG) were pretty nice. Absolutely no pressure and I really paid attention to just trying to remove the soap instead of mowing down whiskers. The KCG blade in my EJ 89 was on its third shave and was starting to show some geriatric signs, although it was still performing mostly to spec, but it left a few of my trouble spots with taller stubble than if it was a two-day old blade. So, my stupid self thought that since today was going so well, I'd try some touch ups ATG. Nope. I nicked myself. I have to finally accept that my face will never allow me to shave ATG no matter what prep or tool combos I can put together. I also have to admit that two or three shaves is all I can get out of a blade before things start going south. This is also a different mindset for me because since cartridges were so expensive, I'd try to get 20+ shaves out of each of them.

A DFS-minus/SAS today. Still learning. Getting there. You guys have really helped me in one short week. Thank you.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Well, this morning I managed to snatch a DFS from the jaws of victory due to my own stupidity. I was off to great start. Two days worth of growth, pre-shave lotion, excellent soap lather, and two passes (WTG, XTG) were pretty nice. Absolutely no pressure and I really paid attention to just trying to remove the soap instead of mowing down whiskers. The KCG blade in my EJ 89 was on its third shave and was starting to show some geriatric signs, although it was still performing mostly to spec, but it left a few of my trouble spots with taller stubble than if it was a two-day old blade. So, my stupid self thought that since today was going so well, I'd try some touch ups ATG. Nope. I nicked myself. I have to finally accept that my face will never allow me to shave ATG no matter what prep or tool combos I can put together. I also have to admit that two or three shaves is all I can get out of a blade before things start going south. This is also a different mindset for me because since cartridges were so expensive, I'd try to get 20+ shaves out of each of them.

A DFS-minus/SAS today. Still learning. Getting there. You guys have really helped me in one short week. Thank you.
I pushed my Gillette Fusion Power cartridges to three weeks. I've tried pushing my DE blades to 3 complete shaves but so far, I can't get them all the way through the 3 passes (for me) the third time around. As a result, I just bin any DE blade after 2 complete uses. `

I can get my Artist Club single edge blades through 6 shaves.. but they fail for me during that 7th shave every time. 6 shaves, and they are done. Some guys can push their AC blade to 10 or 11 shaves. I can not. Same with DE blades. Some people here can get double or even triple digits for their individual DE blades. I'm convinced they have magical powers but they just tell me.... my technique is the problem. That's more likely the issue. <eg> evil grin :devil:

I have to finally accept that my face will never allow me to shave ATG

I can do it but choose not to. Usually more trouble than it's worth.

In those areas that need some additional attention I'll normally touch-up WTG maybe XTG depending on the razor/blade combo that day. And never without re-lathering or at least ensuring plenty of residual slickness from prior pass.

I can do it but choose not to. Usually more trouble than it's worth.

In those areas that need some additional attention I'll normally touch-up WTG maybe XTG depending on the razor/blade combo that day. And never without re-lathering or at least ensuring plenty of residual slickness from prior pass.
I'm not quite at the touch up stage yet. I have to master the two-pass (WTG, XTG) first without irritation before I expose my skin to additional insult by an untrained hand. I can get a SAS or DFS shave with two passes. Maybe with touchups and/or an additional, opposite XTG with a better trained hand I can enter into irritation-free BBS.

I'm not quite at the touch up stage yet. I have to master the two-pass (WTG, XTG) first without irritation before I expose my skin to additional insult by an untrained hand. I can get a SAS or DFS shave with two passes. Maybe with touchups and/or an additional, opposite XTG with a better trained hand I can enter into irritation-free BBS.

FWIW, I think you've got the right idea. Absolutely no need to rush. Experience is the greatest teacher, as they say. :thumbup1:

Since my KGC was near the end of its life, I decided this morning to not push it out to a fourth shave. I swapped in a fresh Derby Extra into my EJ 89 just to give it another chance after my initial harsh review.

I had a very uneventful, irritation-free two-pass shave. It was a SAS. It's definitely not an efficient combination. I wondered why EJ included the Derby Extras as their demo blade because it wasn't an efficient combo. After today's shave, I concluded it was pretty much the same as I had been getting with cartridges. So, that's probably the point.

I have to finally accept that my face will never allow me to shave ATG no matter what prep or tool combos I can put together.
Jay, ATG is very dependent on your skin allowing it and the successes you had in reducing stubble during WTG and XTG. At least that’s how it works for me.

One way to try and circumvent the irritation and nicks is to use your regular XTG but with your razor in a slanted position. Just a tiny slant - or oblique if you will - position will cut your remaining stubble more smoothly than going full blown ATG. You can experiment with the angle of the slant or with slanting down or up. My suggestion would be to slant slightly upwards. Like so:

1679655863181.jpeg

Picture courtesy of Doug H from shavinglikegranddad.

Might give you a closer result without mishaps.

Enjoy!

Guido

Jay, ATG is very dependent on your skin allowing it and the successes you had in reducing stubble during WTG and XTG. At least that’s how it works for me.

One way to try and circumvent the irritation and nicks is to use your regular XTG but with your razor in a slanted position. Just a tiny slant - or oblique if you will - position will cut your remaining stubble more smoothly than going full blown ATG. You can experiment with the angle of the slant or with slanting down or up. My suggestion would be to slant slightly upwards. Like so:

View attachment 1625999
Picture courtesy of Doug H from shavinglikegranddad.

Might give you a closer result without mishaps.

Enjoy!

Guido
Thank you for this! I'll try it out this weekend.

You’re welcome! I forgot to mention, but you will have to figure out when to do it. You could do WTG, XTG and then XTG-S or do WTG, XTG-S do either two or three passes. Or go nuts of course and do WTG, XTG-S XTG-S. Lots of opportunities!

Cheers,

Guido

You’re welcome! I forgot to mention, but you will have to figure out when to do it. You could do WTG, XTG and then XTG-S or do WTG, XTG-S do either two or three passes. Or go nuts of course and do WTG, XTG-S XTG-S. Lots of opportunities!

Cheers,

Guido
Since I'm still committed to only making two passes until I better understand what's causing my irritation, I'll most likely do WTG then XTG-S. If there is nice improvement, that may be all I need--two passes.

Awesome advice above!

I'll just add that an ATG pass is my benchmark for a new/unfamiliar setup, whether it be hardware, software or esp both.

WTG and even XTG on my face can absorb and thus obfuscate a litany of failings. But, ATG? Everything had better be top-notch or it's an instant bad time.

This thread seems to have become my personal journal, so here's another entry.

Yesterday a box of goodies arrived from the friendly store in Michigan, so I decided to try them out this morning.

I received a Maggard synthetic brush, which is wonderful. Very soft and didn't cause any irritation. The previous brush I had been using had somewhat sharp ends to the bristles, which did cause some irritation. The new brush was wonderful. I'm shocked at how inexpensive and wonderful it is. I also received a Timeless plastic shave bowl, Catie's Bubbles, and Nacet blades.

Today's shave was Proraso white pre-shave, Catie's Bubbles, EJ 89, and a fresh Nacet blade. Two passes (WTG, XTG). Wonderful shave. No nicks, weepers, or burn. I felt no sensation when I gave myself a quick witch hazel splash. I felt just the slightest burn when I splashed on some Old Spice Classic.

Overall, a DFS. One of the best I've had from wet shaving. It wasn't the closet. That came from the R41, but that also took off about 4 layers of skin, revealing the smooth muscle below.

The next step in my journey will to either try a third pass or step up to a slightly more aggressive razor. I'm not getting as close of a shave as I want, but it's certainly much closer than anything I ever had from cartridges. I know I can still do a bit better. The Nacet blade was wonderful and seems to a good match for my face. It's about on par with the KCG, and is a step way above the Astra SP.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
This thread seems to have become my personal journal, so here's another entry.

Yesterday a box of goodies arrived from the friendly store in Michigan, so I decided to try them out this morning.

I received a Maggard synthetic brush, which is wonderful. Very soft and didn't cause any irritation. The previous brush I had been using had somewhat sharp ends to the bristles, which did cause some irritation. The new brush was wonderful. I'm shocked at how inexpensive and wonderful it is. I also received a Timeless plastic shave bowl, Catie's Bubbles, and Nacet blades.

Today's shave was Proraso white pre-shave, Catie's Bubbles, EJ 89, and a fresh Nacet blade. Two passes (WTG, XTG). Wonderful shave. No nicks, weepers, or burn. I felt no sensation when I gave myself a quick witch hazel splash. I felt just the slightest burn when I splashed on some Old Spice Classic.

Overall, a DFS. One of the best I've had from wet shaving. It wasn't the closet. That came from the R41, but that also took off about 4 layers of skin, revealing the smooth muscle below.

The next step in my journey will to either try a third pass or step up to a slightly more aggressive razor. I'm not getting as close of a shave as I want, but it's certainly much closer than anything I ever had from cartridges. I know I can still do a bit better. The Nacet blade was wonderful and seems to a good match for my face. It's about on par with the KCG, and is a step way above the Astra SP.
Jay, a suggestion, if I might. I would PM one of our fine mods (@luvmysuper /Phil comes to mind. He's helped me out several times) and ask them to change the title of this thread to your own journal... You'll have to come up with a journal title... and have them put it in the right forum, i.e., under "Journals and Diaries".... Then everyone will know, it's not just a "hello" thread.

I've been enjoying reading your journal. It's always fun for me, watching how each of us progresses along our individual journey.

Jay, a suggestion, if I might. I would PM one of our fine mods (@luvmysuper /Phil comes to mind. He's helped me out several times) and ask them to change the title of this thread to your own journal... You'll have to come up with a journal title... and have them put it in the right forum, i.e., under "Journals and Diaries".... Then everyone will know, it's not just a "hello" thread.

I've been enjoying reading your journal. It's always fun for me, watching how each of us progresses along our individual journey.
Fantastic idea. And thanks for all the advice and encouragement along the way.

Let me know.
We can change the title and/or move it to journals.

That would be great. Thank you.

I see there's already a Jay's Journal there, so could we call it Jay21's Journey Journal?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Fantastic idea. And thanks for all the advice and encouragement along the way.

That would be great. Thank you.

I see there's already a Jay's Journal there, so could we call it Jay21's Journey Journal?
Lovely title.... Thx, Phil, for doing that.

Top Bottom