What's new

Jay21's Journey Journal

FWIW, after having tried most of what's available I would not be able to parse my blade preferences solely on coating.

In other words, whether or not a blade has been a good fit for me does not distill neatly into specific categories, i.e. coating, plant of origin, brand, etc.

My favorites run the gamut and don't really correspond to any one predominant classification.

I suppose it's simply a matter of too many intangibles but the most effective approach for me has always been trialing packs of samples.

Sample packs helped me tremendously at the beginning and I still go through one once in a while to see if anything has changed. Trying something new, revisiting something that didn't work months (or years) ago. I almost always make a new discovery. Hardly surprising as gear, technique and even the blades themselves change over time.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
It’s really per blade/per person situation. Some folks can’t stand one brand and think it’s the platinum coating, but other blades – also platinum – work awesome for them. The unfairness is you have to experience most yourself to know.

One wetshaver’s red kryptonite is another’s grail blade. Worse, it can be the same person with different razors.

FWIW, after having tried most of what's available I would not be able to parse my blade preferences solely on coating.

In other words, whether or not a blade has been a good fit for me does not distill neatly into specific categories, i.e. coating, plant of origin, brand, etc.

My favorites run the gamut and don't really correspond to any one predominant classification.

I suppose it's simply a matter of too many intangibles but the most effective approach for me has always been trialing packs of samples.

Sample packs helped me tremendously at the beginning and I still go through one once in a while to see if anything has changed. Trying something new, revisiting something that didn't work months (or years) ago. I almost always make a new discovery. Hardly surprising as gear, technique and even the blades themselves change over time.

Thank you!

Yes, the blades. I am in total agreement with @thombrogan. I wish I could point you to the blade for you, but I cannot. It is part luck and part science. I know someone who gave me all his Feathers because they didn’t work for him. I absolutely love them. With Nacet between him and I it is completely the other way around.

Nacet and Astra just feel harsh to me, especially my neck. Gillette Platinum? They work better, but not in the ways I see others report here. KCG were my first blade and I have about 175 left - I think they are awesome. Dorco Titan - great blade for me. Personna Blue meh, and others shave with nothing else. Personna Platinum is an ok blade for me. Middle of the road.

And the razor impacts the blade’s performance too. Tigers do not work in my R41 that much or my Flatboy, but are pretty good in my Fatips and Gillette open combs.

As @know1special pointed out get a blade sample and take it one shave at a time. I shaved with a Shark Chrome for 10 shaves. Excellent blade. Next Shark not so excellent - but different razor.

Guido

And bear in mind that I sometimes shave with blades that I know are not working for me just to try out a new razor or new approach. I am a shave crazy scientist.

Yes, the blades. I am in total agreement with @thombrogan. I wish I could point you to the blade for you, but I cannot. It is part luck and part science. I know someone who gave me all his Feathers because they didn’t work for him. I absolutely love them. With Nacet between him and I it is completely the other way around.

Nacet and Astra just feel harsh to me, especially my neck. Gillette Platinum? They work better, but not in the ways I see others report here. KCG were my first blade and I have about 175 left - I think they are awesome. Dorco Titan - great blade for me. Personna Blue meh, and others shave with nothing else. Personna Platinum is an ok blade for me. Middle of the road.

And the razor impacts the blade’s performance too. Tigers do not work in my R41 that much or my Flatboy, but are pretty good in my Fatips and Gillette open combs.

As @know1special pointed out get a blade sample and take it one shave at a time. I shaved with a Shark Chrome for 10 shaves. Excellent blade. Next Shark not so excellent - but different razor.

Guido

And bear in mind that I sometimes shave with blades that I know are not working for me just to try out a new razor or new approach. I am a shave crazy scientist.
Thank you. I also feel the irritation around my neck, and it’s nice to know I’m not alone in thinking the Astra SP may be to blame. I’ll try them again at some point to prove to myself if it’s my technique or the blade. I do have about 100 left! I got them for less than the cost of shipping of some items I buy on the internet, so I’m not too upset if they don’t work out.

I know how you feel. I took a plunge one with Tigers. I thought they worked pretty good so decided to buy some more. I think I have about 290-300 left, but it seems the blade sometimes turns on me. Ah well one blade at a time.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Blades are weird and very personal, what works for me may not work for you, and different blades will work differently in different razors. I currently have nearly 60 different blades though I haven't tried all of them yet. The most popular blades tend to be popular for a reason, they work for most people, try them first. There are some manufacturers that don't work for me, Feather and Treet in particular.
I prefer blades that are smooth not necessarily the sharpest, as I have said before I value smooth shaves rather than chasing a BBS.
There are blades that work well for me

1 Personna Med-Prep
2 Personna Platinum
3 BIC Chrome Platinum
4 Gillette Platinum
5 Gillette Nacet
6 Astra SS

You may also find that as your technique and skin change blades will fall in and out of favour with you, your favourite blades now may not work at all in 12 months.
Are there any blades you have been looking to try?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I know next to nothing about DE blades. I spent months evaluating AC single edge blades so I know enough to be dangerous with them. With DE blades, I'm a total copycat. I watch the shave of the day threads, all the new razor threads... most of the journals and diaries. I see what people like... buy some and try them out. I've had good luck with all the ones I've tried. I can't really tell the difference in any of my razors. I find this odd, truth be told but I've had smooth and comfortable shaves with these:

1. Wizamet Super Iridium
2. Gillette 7 O'clock Black
3. King C Gillette
4. Personna Comfort Coated (USA)
5. Kai
6. Nacet

I have quite a few Gillette Perma-Sharp blades on hand. I'm going to make sure to try them in the Green Cult 2.0 Level two I'm bringing along with me to Bali on our 7 week trip. I'll also have some Gillette Platinum "Light" blades with me... I'll make sure they get tried on my face.

Well, I'm very unhappy to report that this morning I had one of the worst shaves of my DE wet shaving journey. It was worse than one at the hands of an overzealous and nervous 16-year old getting ready for a date with the admiral's daughter. It wasn't quite as bad as the elevator scene in the Shining, but it was not an enjoyable experience. I enjoy hot sauce on my food. The slow burn is rewarding. I don't like blood and burn on my face.

This shave was with the Henson AL13++.

I had purchased this razor after much research and deliberation. I knew it was going to be a love or hate relationship. I knew of its pros and cons. I knew the opinions of it were very divided in this community. I knew it was going to be inefficient. I knew, due to this inefficiency, that my morning shave would require an ATG pass. I was ok with this because I had recently proved to myself that I can do an ATG with a DE razor.

But I had no idea what was going to happen to me this morning. The first XTG pass was very inefficient. I basically did nothing. That's ok, I knew it was going to be inefficient. This was not a surprise. I'd simply lather up and do an ATG pass next. Not soon after, this was just like the meme or gif from Arrested Development that states, "I've made a huge mistake."

It was extremely irritating. I had weepers everywhere. I passed the alum block over my neck and throat to close up the weepers, and I now have a new appreciation of what the burn feels like from one of Dante's inner rings of hell. This razor burn will take a few days to heal. After my face dried out and the stubble settled, it really was a near BBS shave. In fact, it really was one of the closest shaves I've ever had. In that regard, the Henson really is a whisker assassin. Parts of my skin feel like glass, but the cost to achieve it was too high.

I'm sure my technique could be to blame. But, I also blame the razor, but it's really no fault of the Henson team.

If their goal was to make a DE razor to bridge the transition for a newcomer who previously used cartridges, it was a success. A smashing success. The fixed blade angle was nice. The light weight was nice. It actually shaved remarkably similar to a cartridge razor for me. However, that means very inefficient. It also means that under no uncertain terms am I to ever go ATG. That was not a mere suggestion. That was not a subject up for debate. It was a huge flashing neon sign that said, "Don't go ATG, you idiot!" The reason I feared ATG for years was because cartridges would make me consider laser therapy on my hair follicles after shaving ATG. If that stroke didn't outright pull hairs out, the weepers it created would make the bathroom look like a crime scene. I should have known better after my first pass this morning that ATG wouldn't go well for me, but I had the mantras of "YOLO" and "let it rip" playing in my head. When I stopped to pause and listen closely, I thought I heard John Cena's theme song playing in the background.

And, there you have it. The Henson is clearly not for me. The fixed angle was incorrect for me to shave against the grain, and the other passes were too inefficient to make this razor useful for me. I offered it to my girlfriend for her legs, and she said that if it's worse for my face than sharp rocks, why would I push that on to her? In all honesty, I think this would be a fantastic razor for legs, even though I thought her comeback was hilarious. I guess I'll put the Henson back in the drawer for awhile and I may consider using it again if the Cenobites ever visit me.

I don't mean to outright criticize the Henson. It is an engineering and manufacturing marvel. It is a fantastic gateway razor for someone coming from cartridges because it really does shave just like them. If someone gets close and efficient shaves from a cartridge, this truly is a razor you buy and end your quest. It's probably the best razor out there for newbies. If someone, like me, needs a few passes, including ATG, this razor may not be the best tool in the box. I learned enough about technique, including adjusting the angles to match my facial regions and hair, that a traditional DE razor is better suited for me. I added the Henson to my journey in the reverse order, which made it a bit dangerous for this person's not-yet-fully-trained-hands. I know just enough about DE shaving to make things dangerous. The only reason ATG works for me with traditional DE razors and not cartridges is because I can use a very shallow angle to gently slice through the stubble. The snowplow approach using a fixed angle in cartridges and the Henson don't work for me.

I really have a thing about not liking selling things on the internet. I've had just enough bad experiences that I never want to do it again. This wasn't an inexpensive razor, but it's not a major expense, either. I'll chalk it up as the cost of doing business during my shaving journey. Also, I'm happy to support small businesses. Henson and the seller (Maggard) both made a buck. In the end, my curiosity of this razor has now been extinguished, so that was worth the price of admission.

Which blade did you use in the Henson?
A Nacet. Most of what I read about the Henson said it needs a sharp blade like a Nacet or Feather. Many people have reported that other blades, including Astra SP, Derby Extra, Personna blue, and the ones supplied by Henson (all of which I have), are very inefficient at removing stubble in the Henson. In the back of my mind this morning I took heed of your warning about the Nacet, but I needed to see for myself.

Since the XTG pass did basically nothing, I would agree with the sentiment that the Henson requires a very sharp blade. I can imagine something like a Derby would be more comfortable, but it wouldn't do much to remove stubble. The ATG pass with the Nacet plowed through the whiskers like nobody's business. The razor did exactly what it was supposed to do. I can further imagine a less sharp blade would have been even worse ATG, much like a cartridge. In the end, the steep, fixed angle isn't compatible with my face and hair. Maybe down the road I'll try again with a less sharp blade, but that might defeat the whole purpose of trying to get a clean shave.

I have some GSB incoming sometime in the next few days. I was able to find a seller nearby (in my state) on eBay that is selling 25 blades for basically the cost of shipping and the envelope they're in. I'm only out a few bucks if they don't work out. If they do, I'll probably go large and buy a hundred.

I had one of the worst shaves of my DE wet shaving journey.

Very sorry to hear about the rough go. Please heal soon!

It goes without saying that this will happen from time to time, particulary at the beginning while you're busy refining your technique as well as sorting out what will or won't play nice with your face.

It happens with more experienced wet-shavers as well. Especially those of us who like to experiment and mix things up. I'd say the main difference for veteran shavers is that a poor shave can be detected sooner and salvaged more readily. It also doesn't hurt having multiple known-good options in pocket to turn to.

For a recent case in point, see this shave-rating entry from @jason2 just yesterday. Now, this is a very experienced wet-shaver, especially with regard to vintage gear. And yet...a bad time was had. Apologies for revisiting your misfortune, Jason!

Top Bottom