What's new

Japanese Wilkinson Sword

lasta

Blade Biter
Hey guys,

Can any of you identify these blades? Are these current production Wilkinson Swords meant for the Japanese market, or old stock of recognizable origin?

I would jump on and try them, but seller is in China and I've seen more than enough fakes first hand. No disrespect or anything. 4959185984264961.jpg

Thanks.

If we could figure out a production date, these would be interesting. The Gillette Wilkinson Swords for the Indian market were made in Shanghai up until around 2016, supposedly due to then terrible quality domestically. I was told, but can't confirm, that they had moved some older original production equipment over there to produce the blades. It has supposedly now been moved to India hence the current Saloon packs. If these are made in Shanghai, they are very high quality blades and I have many of them. I wouldn't pay more than $30 for this box due to the gamble involved. If they are made in England, and can be confirmed, they are worth a LOT more. The printing on the label on the tucks looks like they might be, I checked through all the versions I have. The made Germany ones have a different label. Very Interesting.

Edit: What a waist of words, they are obviously made in England, but the tucks should be cellophaned. One looks like it, but I can't be sure. I would need some way to be sure what I am buying is sealed. They would be worth up to $120 all in as a gamble. About double that if they are sealed.

Last edited:
Well, for me the Gillette WS from India is a blade that I could use happily for the rest of my life. Not sure about the while WS.

lasta

Blade Biter
A bit of digging, but I found these:

Someone mentioned Milford CT, so these would be Energizer/Edgewell owned, definitely post 2003 German production.

Now, anyone know anything about semi-vintage German production changes? My conclusion is that current German Wilkies and Personnas are identical and so so at best...

Looking at the cardboard, I was sure it's recent. But, I am really confused about the tucks because even the plastic is not the same as anything remotely modern. So they made not only vintage labels, but custom tucks. I kind of want to add some to my collection, but not 240. I have nothing of value to add, but will be following along!

lasta

Blade Biter
Looking at the cardboard, I was sure it's recent. But, I am really confused about the tucks because even the plastic is not the same as anything remotely modern. So they made not only vintage labels, but custom tucks. I kind of want to add some to my collection, but not 240. I have nothing of value to add, but will be following along!

The tucks look identical to my German Personna Platinum 10's. Now that we are mentioning Personnas, we can kiss goodby to certainty haha.

lasta

Blade Biter
Can't help it. I pulled the trigger.

Seller sent pics of the blade. Doesn't seem to be covered by SeanC's guide over at atg.

At worst, I'll get a well thought out Chinese homage.

At best, it'll be the last batch of light brigades stuck in a German box.idlefish-msg-1637816789894.jpgidlefish-msg-1637816785287.jpg

That actually makes me feel better, those are identical to my 1980's made in England Wilkis. Maybe, late 70's Sword Masters. Can you PM me more info? I might need some for "future reference."

Edit: I opened some blades and back to being confused. They should say made in England on the blade and have a printed paper. Also, there shouldn't be glue like that. I some more to check, but I hope you didn't pay too much for these 😬

Edit 2: Based on my collection and previous research, my final conclusion is that the cardboard box is genuine and maybe the tucks. There is actually a subtle difference that is hard to see in white. But, somebody has printed labels from an earlier period and had blades printed with something they thought would be convincing. I don't have any with plain wrappers. I even checked the Indian market blades. At the least, they should say something about Stainless. The German one's are nearly plain.

Last edited:

lasta

Blade Biter
Haha, thanks for checking.

Apparently the Asian market is more opaque.

Just found some Indian made Wilkie's with similar packaging.

We need that blade wiki up and running asap.

So, it could be edgewell or vintage Indian Gillette Wilkinson.

That actually makes me feel better, those are identical to my 1980's made in England Wilkis. Maybe, late 70's Sword Masters. Can you PM me more info? I might need some for "future reference."

Edit: I opened some blades and back to being confused. They should say made in England on the blade and have a printed paper. Also, there shouldn't be glue like that. I some more to check, but I hope you didn't pay too much for these 😬

Good work! I would have never known about these for the Australian market and this has expanded my knowledge. I will need to acquire some to see if they match up to the Indian ones for their domestic market.

Checked Amazon and ebay Australia sites and all they have is US market Classics and Indian Saloon packs. I don't know how you found these.

Last edited:

lasta

Blade Biter
Good work! I would have never known about these for the Australian market and this has expanded my knowledge. I will need to acquire some to see if they match up to the Indian ones for their domestic market.

Checked Amazon and ebay Australia sites and all they have is US market Classics and Indian Saloon packs. I don't know how you found these.

Not very inspiring, but same place I found these:

Taobao:c1:

PM me your address. If I find these worthwhile, I'd be happy to send some over.

lasta

Blade Biter
Alright, OCD just kicked in.

Can rule out English Wilkie's now.

I'm either getting an older Indian/Brazilian made product intended for the Japanese/Australian market. Either way a Gillette Product.

Or a very crafty Chinese guy who took inspiration from British/Brazilian/Indian designs and packed it into a German box.

I'm hoping for the first.

As for self reassurance, the seller also has a bunch of premium Japanse shears, vintage strops, and a few dozen Henckels straights. Shouldn't be a one-off fake run.Screenshot_20211125-163721_Firefox.jpgScreenshot_20211125-163749_Firefox.jpg

They're not current modern but definitely not 70s vintage. My guess would be early 90's-early 2000s "Classics". I'm leaning toward Indian made. Either way they are should be decent blades but by no means L.B. quality.

Hey guys,

Can any of you identify these blades? Are these current production Wilkinson Swords meant for the Japanese market, or old stock of recognizable origin?

I would jump on and try them, but seller is in China and I've seen more than enough fakes first hand. No disrespect or anything.View attachment 1367565

Thanks.

According to the Japanese goverment's website, Gillette has owned the Wilkinson Sword trademark in Japan since 1962. Looking at the packaging, they appear to be more modern than that. If so, it would mean they're a Gillette product. Seems it was a pack made for sale to barbers, above the Wilkinson Sword logo on the box it says something like "for professional use".

The blades look quite similar to the Gillette Wilkinsons made in Brazil posted above, ie same logo printed on the blade along with a printed letter and number.

lasta

Blade Biter
Blades have arrived!

Back of cardboard box says "Gillette Japan Inc". But no country of origin on the plastic dispenser. Zooming in on the tuck I can see "03 Innovapack" with a blank 4. If Bogeyman's dating method is right and Innovapack refers to the South American company Est 2002, I'd place my bet on these as Brazilian made April 2003.

First shave with a GC84 is excellent. Irritation free BBS. Very little tugging even against the grain. Felt sharper than my trusty GSB, but hard to be objective about that, Sunday shave, so I had more time than usual. In any case, it's up there with GSB, so in my book that's a good blade! Superior to German Personna/Wilkinson.

20211127_175248.jpg

20211127_175437.jpg

20211127_175514.jpg

20211127_123517.jpg

There is also a shavette guard inside, but I'm not sure if part of the original package.
20211127_175728.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom