What's new

Japanese Whisky

I have only had one Japanese whisky and I liked it. My mom was visiting for Christmas. Shes appreciates a scotch from time to time. She liked it also. it is Suntory Toki. I’m looking at Akashi White Oak and Nikki coffee grain to try next. Any advice or opinions on Japanese whisky? I’m not looking for $100+ bottles $60 more or less range.
B2878A84-33AF-4CD0-B5A8-C68B317E72B2.jpeg

The only Japanese whisky I'm familiar with is the Nikka Taketsuru. Superb stuff, but I think it runs about $100. Worth the splurge if you find one.

Sushi with a Nikka From the Barrel Highball - sensational!

Affordable Japanese whiskies are mostly light blends and good mixers, the potent Single Malt stuff is always expensive.

Some traditional blends are:

Suntory Kakubin Yellow Label
Nikka Black Special/Black Rich Blend
and Suntory 1923 White Label

Those duty free deals can be nice! I haven’t traveled in a few years. I’m overdue for a long distance trip. I will have to check Costco deals next time. That’s as close as I will get to a deal.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
The Nikka Coffey Grain is excellent. It used to be pretty hard to find, but I’ve seen it everywhere lately. Nikka from the Barrel is another good one but a little harder to find.

I have only had one Japanese whisky and I liked it. My mom was visiting for Christmas. Shes appreciates a scotch from time to time. She liked it also. it is Suntory Toki. I’m looking at Akashi White Oak and Nikki coffee grain to try next. Any advice or opinions on Japanese whisky? I’m not looking for $100+ bottles $60 more or less range.
View attachment 1385699

Maker's Mark spells whisky as though it was Scotch,
and it's owned by Suntory.
You can have it all ;)

I think it will be hard to find an aged whisky in your price range as global demand has gone through the roof in recent years.

It wasn’t so long ago that I was frequently buying Yamazaki 12 at less than $100 when I was working in Hong Kong, and now it’s approaching $400.

Slightly off-topic but I was in a small bar in Osaka (c 2005) with a crazy local girl I knew back then, and the barman suggested that I try a glass of 30+ year old Suntory. It came in a tiny, long-stemmed glass, and was divine. The price floored me…over $100. Happy days!

I've had a couple bottles of Yamazaki 12.
Once tried the 18, which was very nice.
Looking forward to trying more - but the prices have really increased...

Just before Christmas I picked up a bottle of Legent. It is a blend of Suntory and Beam. 94 proof and very smooth.

Top Bottom