What's new

Japanese Twin Injector Blades

This morning I had some extended moments when I couldn't feel the blade. At first I thought I had the angle of my Type O clone just perfectly correct, but I tried other angles and still couldn't feel the blade sometimes. Sometimes I could hear (or feel) whiskers being cut.

This was not on my first pass, so there had already been significant beard reduction, but it sure seemed different from my last few shaves with the ebarbershop razor and TWIN blade.

I've used this blade (my first) for only about 8 shaves. Is it possibly getting dull? What do you notice when the TWIN is becoming dull?

If it were an inexpensive DE I'd toss it. I can afford to only get 8 shaves with a TWIN, but that's not what I have in mind, and I want to test its staying power.

Any advice, or pointers, or tips?

Much appreciated.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Jim, I agree with Steve, I really can’t fee the twin blade in my O clone most of the time when shaving. But it’s doing it’s job. Really the only times I do feel it is at the very early usage, and at the very end of its life.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim, I agree with Steve, I really can’t fee the twin blade in my O clone most of the time when shaving. But it’s doing it’s job. Really the only times I do feel it is at the very early usage, and at the very end of its life.

Thanks, guys. I hope the blade is just getting broken in then! That would be very cool. I'll be able to assess things a lot better tomorrow with the first pass. It would be wonderful to have the razor become so comfortable there's no blade feel.

During the first few shaves, weeks ago, I was doing things wrong with the angle, and learning about pressure. My understanding of how to use this razor has improved during the last few shaves (I now have only about eight shaves with this razor), but I'm not close to the Jedi level with it.

I will use the same blade tomorrow. No reason to toss it. Lots of reason not to, especially if it smooths to the point of no blade feel.

Happy shaves,

Jim

So a razor with literally zero blade feel and 60+ shaves on a blade.
We’re a long long way from the Single Ring now aren’t we Gentlemen?! :)

Just saw this. Nice to know the blades are still made. My Schick originally came with the Injector II, so I know it will work in it. Ironically, at the time this was the only injector blade available locally. Now, all that I can find locally are the regular Schick Injector.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
This morning I had some extended moments when I couldn't feel the blade. At first I thought I had the angle of my Type O clone just perfectly correct, but I tried other angles and still couldn't feel the blade sometimes. Sometimes I could hear (or feel) whiskers being cut.

This was not on my first pass, so there had already been significant beard reduction, but it sure seemed different from my last few shaves with the ebarbershop razor and TWIN blade.

I've used this blade (my first) for only about 8 shaves. Is it possibly getting dull? What do you notice when the TWIN is becoming dull?

If it were an inexpensive DE I'd toss it. I can afford to only get 8 shaves with a TWIN, but that's not what I have in mind, and I want to test its staying power.

Any advice, or pointers, or tips?

Much appreciated.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Since my post above, I've had a couple more shaves with the same TWIN blade. The blade was definitely there, and cutting just fine. I could feel|hear the whiskers being mowed down, etc. The blade feel was less, maybe a huge amount less, than early shaves with the same blade.

After ten shaves with the blade I'm a huge fan. If anything it is sharper than it was, and smoother.

Thanks for helping me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Since my post above, I've had a couple more shaves with the same TWIN blade. The blade was definitely there, and cutting just fine. I could feel|hear the whiskers being mowed down, etc. The blade feel was less, maybe a huge amount less, than early shaves with the same blade.

After ten shaves with the blade I'm a huge fan. If anything it is sharper than it was, and smoother.

Thanks for helping me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Jim I'm on shave #26 and it's showing no signs of dullness and if I tell some of my shaving brethren they don't believe me until they try the O Ring Twin combo and then they are like wow you weren't kidding about this razor and blade combo.
:a17:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim I'm on shave #26 and it's showing no signs of dullness and if I tell some of my shaving brethren they don't believe me until they try the O Ring Twin combo and then they are like wow you weren't kidding about this razor and blade combo.

The main problem I've encountered is this:

Getting a BBS on my face is easy enough with two passes with several razors including the Type O clone.

Getting anything better than a marginal DFS on my neck requires a bunch of passes and touch ups. Several razors have led me to much the same place - too many passes - including the Type O clone. When I say too many I mean way too many, not just three or four.

Granted, I'm new to this, and I've not shaved very many times with very many razors. There are several I've shaved with only a very few times, and I owe them at least several more trials.

I could argue I could pick any one of several razors - the NEW SC, the Phoenix Bakelite OC Slant, the Type O clone, the Colonial General SS, maybe the Schöne, maybe the Fatip Gentile - and shave exclusively with that one razor for a month or two to see if I can achieve the results I want with the razor.

After 11 shaves with the Type O, with the last of these all being consecutive over the course of a week, I feel I've gotten the angle correct, and that I'm not applying pressure to my face with the razor. I'm getting a great face shave, but my neck is the same problem I've had over and over.

The SS General is clearly the most effective at limiting the number of required passes. The NEW SC is second. Again, I'm being unfair to razors I've shaved with too few times.

Having said all that, I may be being unfair to the Type O. Perhaps it needs a several week trial, and not just a week or so. It is certainly an appealing razor. The blade is wonderful. The razor is rigid. I like the razor. I'm just not convinced the razor is efficient enough for what I need.

There are some razors I've pretty much given up on. The Type O clone is not one of these. I like it. I will use it again. It has much to recommend it. Generally it feels very good as a shaver. The only drawback is I can't get a close, smooth shave on my neck without going over and over the same places.

This is a razor I really wanted to be a possible daily driver (or tier one in my rotation). Maybe I'll be better at using it next time I try it. I hope so.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Jim
I’ve felt you’re frustration in many posts where your not getting the results you’re looking for with a few Razors so....
I’m going to be sending you some charts on the Skin Stretch, Short Stroke progressive beard reduction technique I’ve been working on. A few of my Shaving brothers have asked me to put it on paper as it’s hard to just explain it by word in a post or over the phone. I’m almost 100% certain that if you use and perfect this technique you will achieve your goal of a complete face and neck DFS or BBS shave consistently.
Also as a quick NOTE: using pressure is all about the efficiency of the razor in hand and the blade you put in it. Example... if I’m using a R41, Charcoal Level 3 OC or Timeless.95 OC I’m not using any and letting the weight and efficiency of the razor & sharpness of the blade do all the work. I’m just directing it. If I’m using the O Ring Clone I can apply a little bit of pressure if I’m going for a BBS which to be truthful I usually don’t as I’m normally using it for a quick DFS which is easily obtained.

I will forward the charts to you as soon as I’m finished either later on tonight or tomorrow.
Great shaving!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim
I’ve felt you’re frustration in many posts where your not getting the results you’re looking for with a few Razors so....
I’m going to be sending you some charts on the Skin Stretch, Short Stroke progressive beard reduction technique I’ve been working on...I will forward the charts to you as soon as I’m finished either later on tonight or tomorrow.
Great shaving!:a17:

Thanks. Sounds very worthy of my attention. Much appreciated.

Getting a face BBS + a neck DFS is easy for me. Achieving a neck BBS is the problem.

upload_2017-11-4_11-29-56.png

I can get a very good, fast, comfortable, easy shave with a Gillette Fusion using a months old cartridge, but my goals are higher. My reason for pursuing shaving with DE and SE razors is the promise of a professional barbershop shave - close, long lasting, BBS, and comfortable - at home daily.

BOSC R US.png

One of the most wonderful aspects of this forum is the care and consideration of most everyone, but some people go beyond. You are in both groups.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Did my first ever shave today with a twin blade. I loaded it up into a Schick Grip. Nice smooth and close shave. I'd like to see how long it lasts, but to be honest, my razor mania will likely make me try something before the blade is done.

I also had the same thing happen. My only shipping option was EMS and I was ordering. Not sure what's happening as I ordered from them about two weeks ago and had the Small Packet option.

Top Bottom