What's new

Japanese stones hardness test.

I know I have seen it somewhere but can't find it. Is there a time table around for testing how hard your stone is with a drop on water? I know if you leave water on the stone how long it takes for the stone to drink the water is a measure for hardness but how long will it take for a hard stone?

I know I have seen it somewhere but can't find it. Is there a time table around for testing how hard your stone is with a drop on water? I know if you leave water on the stone how long it takes for the stone to drink the water is a measure for hardness but how long will it take for a hard stone?
http://japanesenaturalstones.blogspot.com/2010/11/how-to-water-test.html

I think you have to take this with a grain of salt. As dry as it is here in the NE right now - or elsewhere - the test is not so comparable to other places or conditions.

I don't know, I am just trying this now.

So far my nakayama kiita has had a circular pool of water on its surface for over a half hour without any changes.

So might not be a quantitative test to say it scores a # on the hardness scale, but if you have a few stones, tested in the same conditions, same time, you could find out comparatively which stone is hardest, etc...

I wouldn't put a whole lot of weight to it. I have a kiita that my nail can gouge and water sits on it as long as a hard Asagi I bought from him. I guess environment can effect it too.

I also did a test where I tried to make slurry on the stone with a DMT card sized plate 325 grit and all that happened was the metal from the plate came off all on the stone but no slurry.

The water thing has nothing to do with hardness just porosity of the rock. Also the hardness of the rock really has little to do with the grit number of the rock either. Some rocks like Japanese nogura types are alumina based and very hard yet drink water like crazy.

The water thing has nothing to do with hardness just porosity of the rock. Also the hardness of the rock really has little to do with the grit number of the rock either. Some rocks like Japanese nogura types are alumina based and very hard yet drink water like crazy.
Would you elaborate on what you mean by alumina-based with respect to the nagura?

Top Bottom