What's new

Japanese near wedge: need the low down

Eben Stone

Staff member
I'm interested in acquiring a Japanese near wedge.

This would put me outside of my comfortable budget of $45-65. I'm not looking for shave ready, but I'm also not interested in restoring it either. I read in the "Most under-rated SR" thread that "Yasuki" or "silver" steel is desirable ( thanks @Steve56 ).

Is there anything else worth mentioning? What to look for? What to avoid?

Thanks.

I've yet to try a Japanese razor that didn't have 'desirable' steel. To be honest, Yasuki gets a buzz from the flavor of the day crew but it can be finicky on the stones. Azuma did will with Yasuki, some brands either fudged the branding or didn't have the same skill as the Smiths working the Azuma blades. All good, no issues, just saying Azuma Yasuki has stood out to me over the years. Japanese Silver Steel can be a number of things, and often slightly different across brands and time periods.
Seriously, any well kept Japanese blade is going to impress. I wouldn't put much stock in which steel to look out for. Better to shop for condition, maybe brand if resale value is a consideration.
I think the last Japanese near-wedge I had was really like an 1/8 hollow - was made by Ribbon, another by Kikuokan.
Watch out for very worn blades that have been buffed out to hide the wear. Many of the heavy grind blades on the used market were in service with barbers and there are a group of 'resellers' that buff and polish the blades to make them look better. They'll still shave but should also be priced accordingly.

Last edited:
I have a Starlet half wedge that cost me 250 USD about seven years ago. I love this razor and it is one of my favourites. I think Ebay would be the best place to look.

I have an Hayashi Diamond #120. While I wouldn't call it a near wedge... it's probably Quarter grind, it's a great shaver.. as are all Japanese razors I've used. It's marked "Extra Steel" FBU.

proxy.php

Last edited:
I have quite a few Japanese razors. I believe they are all superb and have never had a problem with any of them. Several of them had a shave ready factory edge.

I have a few and they are all great razors with a sizeable chunk of steel. I only have the less desirable uncommon brands but they are still great for me. never tried yasuki or supposedly fancy steels either.

Eben Stone

Staff member
I have a Starlet half wedge that cost me 250 USD about seven years ago. I love this razor and it is one of my favourites. I think Ebay would be the best place to look.
Thanks for your advice. I had a Starlet in my watch list already and finally bit the bullet. I'm pleasantly surprised they accepted my offer.

Top Bottom