What's new

Japanese Natural identification

I've come across a stone that is labeled as a Nakayama Tomae. It didn't come with any markings so I'm hoping that someone who has seen/handled a lot more stones than I have will be able to help with more information. I know it's a long shot.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

There'll be a load of people more expert than I am, but it kinda looks like a Natsuya or Mikawa Nagura to me. (Though the bottom and sides less so perhaps).

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Is there any black sparkly skin on the back? It would shine/sparkle like little diamonds in the sun.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
It’s not a Mikawa/shiro nagura, shiro nagura are not layered stones and this one is layered. The ‘bubble’ steucture that you see in the side makes the rings when it intersects the face. That structure is typical of Nakayama and close by mines, Okudo, Ozuku, Shobu. The back skin looks a little odd but it’s difficult to tell in the images. The only sure indicator for Nakayama was the crusty, sparkly, black skin, though not all Nakayama stones had it.

Also a little hard to tell, but the faint spots on the surface might be nashiji, or pear skin. This pattern was typical of tomae layer stones.

There were 48 layers in the tomae structure, far more than other components, so whatever random finishing JNat that you have, tomae is always a good bet.

Is there any black sparkly skin on the back? It would shine/sparkle like little diamonds in the sun.
Sorry that I can't tell. I'm going off photos he sent along. At this stage I just want to know what it might be? As without it it my hands I can't tell how it will perform. I had him send along a few more images.
45.jpg

55.jpg

57.jpg

Top Bottom