What's new

Japanese Kitchen Knives Round III ****closed

I had an email from a member asking me about stepping up to the 240mm. He currently has a gyuto in the 210mm size (different maker) and is thinking about ordering the 240mm Midori gyuto but is concerned that the knife will be too big.

I asked him some questions about how much room he has to work with, he explained that he has a very large cutting board and plenty of counter space so that isn't an issue. I also asked about his grip that he uses currently (hammer vs pinch) and he answered that he made the switch to the pinch grip a couple of years ago.

For this fellow I advised to go for it, he's the perfect candidate, as they say. In his case there's no space issues and he's already using the pinch grip which means that he's likely outgrowing his 210mm and he knows it. In this case he's almost guaranteed (I said almost because nothing is fool proof) to find that he'll be much more proficient in speed and quality after he makes the move.

If you find yourself in a similar situation I'd suggest to you to take the chance as well. I'd even tell you take the chance if you're trying to chose between the 210mm or 240mm and have no space issues and either use/will start using the pinch grip.

Just thought I'd share my thoughts on this. :001_smile

Dave

I just read through the last couple of pages on this thread that I'd missed. Besides Dave's great offer, there's very interesting information here that helped me comprehend a few things about the knives differences, particularly about the Santoku and the Nakiri.

I'm an occasional cook, my wife is the one who employs the few 'regular' chef's knives in our kitchen most of the time, but I'd wanted to have a more high-end knife available for long time. So, Dave provided the perfect excuse for me to get the approval for purchasing 'the best knife that you'll ever need'. It's funny, my first instinct was to order a Gyuto which we're familiar with, but my better half was almost upset that I didn't consider the Santoku a better option. Recently, we bought a Kitchen Aid set of knives which included a small short 100 mm version of a Santoku knife. I was surprised how natural and comfortable it felt in use. It seemed that it suited our way of using knives better than the chef's knives. After thinking about it, I decided it's because we use a combination of slicing and rocking motion, and the curvature of the Santoku felt surprisingly perfect. For some reason, it promoted more chopping motion than slicing compared to the chef's knife. Because of that, I may be wrong, but it feels more natural to have a Santoku and a Nakiri around which I believe can complement each other better compared to a Gyuto/Nakiri or a Gyuto/Santoku pairs.

Keep in mind that the thoughts above come from someone who has no clue about knives.

But the woman in the kitchen has spoken - it's a Santoku we're getting. And I think it was the right choice to introduce it. Thank you, Dave!

Something I didn't expect to see is that the 210mm gyuto would have the least amount sold, in fact, I thought it would be the first to run out! Shows what I know. :001_smile

Something I didn't expect to see is that the 210mm gyuto would have the least amount sold, in fact, I thought it would be the first to run out! Shows what I know. :001_smile

:lol: I guess I'm just not a trend setter.

I remember when I was buying my first Japanese knife, the suggestions were almost unanimously to get a Gyuto. When asked which size to get, almost everyone said to go for the 240 because Japanese knives are so easy to use and maneuver that the 240 will feel nimble compared to a heavy German knife of shorter length. Well, they were right and I am glad I listened. My guess is that others are also taking that advice and going for the 240.

(I ended up ordering the 210 because I feel like it should still be a great knife size and should be versatile - I enjoy using a 240, but I bet I can also find a lot of work for the 210:thumbup:)

how does the quality of these knives compare to Hattori or Takeda etc. ?? I dont buy something becuase its low priced just cuz its low priced. I have Mostly hattori and Takeda knives and they so far blow anything away that you could get. I guess my Question for Dave is this: is it worth spending another $100 or $150 for the premium knives (you can obviously spend much more as well) and get a Hattori or is this knife brand 95% quality and performance at 1/2 the price......

I found these same knives available on the web for the same prices here so I am somewhat confused by this. Please I am not trying to start a pissing match or a debate - I am considering getting one of these as a gift for my friend for xmas but want to know if I should get these vs. spending more and getting a different brand. I ask as the info was very sparse on the thread about the performance of these knives (unless I just missed it). Thanks!

Hi Garrett,
I have no problem with your questions, the more the better as far as I'm concerned, this makes for more happy customers (or not) but happy either way. :001_smile

So, let's talk about the two you mentioned, I'll go with Takeda first. His knives could not be further from these knives in every way possible. They are carbon, clad in iron (well until he makes the switch to stainless cladding which is coming to some retailers already), one off designs (not traditional), and wa (eastern) handled. These are great knives but they are not as user friendly and can be found in various performance levels (meaning you pay and you get what you get).

Hattori is a better comparison to the Midori knives since they are stainless steel (some of the Hattori lines use the same steel - VG10), they can be found in western handles, and are they offer the traditional patterns that are of the same quality from knife to knife (factory made). What specific line of Hattori knives are you interested in? This would matter for comparison purposes. For example, they offer the HD & FH in VG10 but the prices are quote different. I would say that the Midori knives would compare favorably to the HD line but could fall short compared to the FH line (depending on what's important to you) since that is mono steel (vs clad), very nicely shaped handle, comes with a hinged wooden storage box, and overall looks flashier.

In the case of these Midori knives, they are here for this group buy because they met the requirements. We wanted to offer low prices, good quality, good value, knives that would meet the tasks that both non-knifenuts as well as seasoned knife users would use them for plus they had to be good enough for me to stand behind. Basically I looked for the best deal for the most general mid-level good looking knives I good find and this was it.

As for value, I hope that the initial sharpening plus all of the edge smoothing that I will be doing is being considered here with the pricing. I feel this is a bonus since I know that most all Japanese knives come sub-par condition with regards to a sharp edge and with spines/choils that could cut food with - both of these issues need addressing out of the box so the idea here is that I do the work so that you don't have to.

As for performance, these knives are better than average and in my opinion better than many knives that cost 6 times the amount.

If I didn't answer your questions well enough please ask for clarification or if you (or anyone else) has any other questions please feel free to ask.

Dave

Last edited:
Hi Garrett,
I have no problem with your questions, the more the better as far as I'm concerned, this makes for more happy customers (or not) but happy either way. :001_smile

So, let's talk about the two you mentioned, I'll go with Takeda first. His knives could not be further from these knives in every way possible. They are carbon, clad in iron (well until he makes the switch to stainless cladding which is coming to some retailers already), one off designs (not traditional), and wa (eastern) handled. These are great knives but they are not as user friendly and can be found in various performance levels (meaning you pay and you get what you get).

Hattori is a better comparison to the Midori knives since they are stainless steel (some of the Hattori lines use the same steel - VG10), they can be found in western handles, and are they offer the traditional patterns that are of the same quality from knife to knife (factory made). What specific line of Hattori knives are you interested in? This would matter for comparison purposes. For example, they offer the HD & FH in VG10 but the prices are quote different. I would say that the Midori knives would compare favorably to the HD line but could fall short compared to the FH line (depending on what's important to you) since that is mono steel (vs clad), very nicely shaped handle, comes with a hinged wooden storage box, and overall looks flashier.

In the case of these Midori knives, they are here for this group buy because they met the requirements. We wanted to offer low prices, good quality, good value, knives that would meet the tasks that both non-knifenuts as well as seasoned knife users would use them for plus they had to be good enough for me to stand behind. Basically I looked for the best deal for the most general mid-level good looking knives I good find and this was it.

As for value, I hope that the initial sharpening plus all of the edge smoothing that I will be doing is being considered here with the pricing. I feel this is a bonus since I know that most all Japanese knives come sub-par condition with regards to a sharp edge and with spines/choils that could cut food with - both of these issues need addressing out of the box so the idea here is that I do the work so that you don't have to.

As for performance, these knives are better than average and in my opinion better than many knives that cost 6 times the amount.

If I didn't answer your questions well enough please ask for clarification or if you (or anyone else) has any other questions please feel free to ask.

Dave

HI. I dont know anyone that has the FH knives available now and havent for some time. They are stunning but I am not going to spend that $$ for a xmas gift for the knives - even for myself unless for display cuz they are sooo nice I wouldnt want to use it. The HD is what I would get.

YOu are right - the takeda I have you will never find a second perfect match and they are all odd size and shape! LOL! truly one of a kind. Mine are super and I love them!

That said, I think you answered my question. I will give the 210 gyuto and small petty a try - She does not like the size of my 240 Gyuto. Thank you.

I think that you'll be happy with them Garrett. I personally like them enough that I'm giving them as Christmas presents this year...well only to those who deserve them. :biggrin1:

Hi all, I have just ordered some for my Mum to go with her BB cutting board.

I was just wondering what would be the best way to store them? I understand that they come in a box, but I am not sure that this is practical for everyday use. Custom made knife block? Suggestions appreciated.

Hi all, I have just ordered some for my Mum to go with her BB cutting board.

I was just wondering what would be the best way to store them? I understand that they come in a box, but I am not sure that this is practical for everyday use. Custom made knife block? Suggestions appreciated.

order a "saya" to store each knife. It's an individual case/sheath that each knife is stored in and protects it. Very easy to use and very effective but u must use the correct size/design for your knife. They cost generally $20-40 depending on size, design, etc. most japanese knife suppliers offer them. Ask Dave if he sells them.

I'm sorry but I don't offer sayas. :(

Most folks use either a counter top knife block or a wall mounted magnetic rack to store their knives. Alternatives are sayas or the box the knife comes in for in drawer storage.

Most importantly - DO NOT throw good sharp thin edged knives into a drawer unprotected - you will regret this!

@Garrett & pipeliner - Thanks for your orders!

Bed bath and Beyond sells a knife block that is basically just a bunch of plastic rods in a wooden box. They're made to hold miss-matched knife sets in one block and I think they run around $40. I prefer a wall mounted magnetic knife bar. Just be careful when you remove the knives or you'll scratch them unless it's wood-clad. They're pretty inexpensive and unintrusive.

Fence sitters should place their orders soon so that this group buy can be closed out. These are superb knives at a great price and not only won't you be disappointed but I expect will be delighted by the performance. My completely selfish reason for encouraging your purchase (besides a childish need for instant gratification) is that upon delivery of the three I ordered, I have eight I need to ship off to Dave for sharpening. None of the eight are anywhere near this quality but with a decent edge do get the job done. I placed my order a week ago (8/8), what are you waiting for?

Fence sitters should place their orders soon so that this group buy can be closed out. These are superb knives at a great price and not only won't you be disappointed but I expect will be delighted by the performance. My completely selfish reason for encouraging your purchase (besides a childish need for instant gratification) is that upon delivery of the three I ordered, I have eight I need to ship off to Dave for sharpening. None of the eight are anywhere near this quality but with a decent edge do get the job done. I placed my order a week ago (8/8), what are you waiting for?

I like your method of encouragement & you've got a sold reason for it too! :thumbup1:

Top Bottom