What's new

January 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Date31.01.2023
365 days of shaving31/365 (100%)
GRUYERE31/365 (100%)
GRUME January31/31 (100%)
Other participations
  • Shave of the Week Society (SWS)
  • Discovery Blade Adventure
  • One Blade in February (OBiF)

Passes2.75
XWTGCheeks: N-S
Neck: N-S
WXTGCheeks L: W-E
Cheeks R: E-W
Neck: S-N
XATGCheeks: S-N

RazorBladeBrush
Timeless Ti95 SCB
Eddison (7)Omega Super Badger
Pre-shaveSoap & BowlPost-shave
Cold splashTabac
Hybrid lathering
Cold splash
Floïd (AS)
Nivea (Balm)

EfficiencyQuality
8/10 (~20 minutes)10/10 (clean as a whistle)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS)9/10 (buttery smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

Still in and totally made it!! I completed a GRUME in one piece!! I think this is only the second GRUME ever for me and it feels fanatistic!! Congrats to those who succeeded and support to those who chose not to - we support you in giving it another go in February. There is no failure only feedback - or @Contact_vs_Feedback if you will :thumbup:.

Closing out the month with my #1 razor. Everything about it is beautiful and I smile no grin from ear to ear every time I pick it up. Pinch myself and get on with the shave.

Combining the Ti95 with the Eddison is a very reliable combination for me. They both entered my home around the same time and I have had most Ti95 shaves with an Eddison I think. Very consistent results. Super comfortable and smooth. This blade has mileage left, but with OBiF up next month I will use this blade again in March. And reality was aligned with expectations so a very relaxed and effective shave.

Tabac…yeah well…the lather is excellent. I used my thumbs to close the gap from the donation to a fellow brother. Gives me the impression that I have used this soap more than I have. Even after the 26+ uses no dint had occurred at all. This puck will be with me for years coming.

Having tried the Gillette Slant yesterday I reverted back to regular strokes today, as I felt these were easier to perform with short strokes. Slant and Slide work better with longer strokes. I do use a slanted / oblique stroke when doing the WXTG pass. For now this is working out quite well with wanted results.

Enjoy your shaves!

Still in... and I'll make it!

The final shave of January:
20230130_104518-01.jpeg
I really can't tell you how happy I am that this month is over... Looking forward to seeing you all on the other side aka February GRUME.

Cheers
Guido

🥂TO US ALL!
I have totally enjoyed GRUME this month and the first leg of the GRUYERE journey. I am on track for 365+ shaves this year.

I am now using a straight razor with (some) confidence. Who would have "thunk" it? (Thanks @ChriWilson)

A BIG 🍻 to @FoolishMortal (GRUME), @KQY61 (GRUYERE), @Leverspro (365 Shaves) and @Rusty Blade (SWS) for their dedication to keep these special threads going each month.

Also, 🍻 to @Balin (Synthetic Sundays), @Mike M (SV Saturday), @Smooth and Sharp (MdC Mondays), @JAHE (Tallow Tabac Tuesdays) and last but certainly not least how could any of us forget @Guido75...oh yeah, he also started Muhle Mondays.

THANKS to everyone that has participated this month and I am glad @Beto Salatini shared some special music with us GRUMEers.
A special shout-out to several great photos.

ONWARD to Fruity February and OBIF.

Now I gotta go to my Over-Achievers Anonymous meeting.

Please take care of yourself and each other.

Last edited:
Shave #28
- January Success ! -

• *Truefitt’s Apsley - SOTM
  • *T&H Rooney 3/2 - Silvertip
  • *Thiers Issard Sheffield- 6/8
  • *Mühle R89
  • *Gillette Minora Platinum
  • Thayer's Astringent
  • Clubman splash with menthol
* SWS

Another quick and simple 2-pass shave this morning allowing for the omission of the DE from the lineup
IMG_0455.JPG

The great thing about a monthly restraint - it easily segues into weekly and monthly use participation which allow one to really dial things in. Upon completion of each GRUME, I can declare how much I really LOVE this setup

Great thing is that I look forward with anticipation to dialing in and refining next week's/month's kit:001_wub:

Onwards to February !
@FoolishMortal

Still out
Final shave of Jan 2023

Pre-Shave: Hot Shower
Razor: Merkur Future (2.5)
Blade: Shark Super Stainless (2)
Brush: FS 3-Band Silvertip
Soap: Fine 21st Century American Blend

Post-Shave: Alum Block
Fine American Blend AS Splash
Haslinger Sandalwood ASB

First time using the new formula Fine soap and I struggled a bit with the soap to water ratio for creating the lather . Had to go back to the puck twice to complete my 3 passes plus touch ups. Will take a bit of getting used to. Performance of the soap itself was good though as the BBS finish proved. Starting to get a bit more confident with the Futur but still taking it relatively slowly. The blade while efficient IMO not in the same league as the Nacet or 7 o’clock black.
Gonna try really hard to stop looking at the BST so I can give myself the best chance of completing Ferbruary GRUME which is all but upon us.

Stay safe fellas 😎😎😎😎

Attachments

• 0BB82B08-8217-4150-B42F-07FDDCB1277E.jpeg
    0BB82B08-8217-4150-B42F-07FDDCB1277E.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 8
🥂TO US ALL!
I have totally enjoyed GRUME this month and the first leg of the GRUYERE journey. I am on track for 365+ shaves this year.

I am now using a straight razor with (some) confidence. Who would have "thunk" it? (Thanks @ChriWilson)

A BIG 🍻 to @FoolishMortal (GRUME), @KQY61 (GRUYERE), @Leverspro (365 Shaves) and @Rusty Blade (SWS) for their dedication to keep these special threads going each month.

Also, 🍻 to @Balin (Synthetic Sundays), @Mike M (SV Saturday), @Smooth and Sharp (MdC Mondays), @JAHE (Tallow Tabac Tuesdays) and last but certainly not least how could any of us forget @Guido75...oh yeah, he also started Muhle Mondays.

THANKS to everyone that has participated this month and I am glad @Beto Salatini shared some special music with us GRUMEers.

🥂TO US ALL!

Thanks @tjsgarden for inviting me to join GRUME in January. It was very interesting to practice some restraint and was a great pleasure to enjoy the beautiful photos posted by our friends and share some of mine with everyone. I like to shave listening to Jazz, it makes the passes smoother, I imagine it would be much harsher if I listened to Heavy Metal…

See you in the other threads and in the next GRUMEs.

Cheers!
❤️🪒

Last edited:
Day 31, 100% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Astra SP #1
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Balm

Loaded a fresh Astra, and finished the month with a comfortable near-BBS.

Hope to see some of you over on the February GRUME.

Top Bottom