What's new

January 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in

Fatip Open Comb Slant
Gillette Rubie (5)
Hans Baier Silvertip
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Fine Platinum

IMG-5012_DSC_5012 (3).JPG

Still In!

PXL_20230126_152418184.jpg

Feather DX
Feather Artist Club Pro
E. Jagger D89
Gillette Platinum
Omega EVO 2.o
D.R. Harris Naturals

I am not familiar with the longevity of the Feather AC Pros but I guess I'll find out next month. In order to participate in the One Blade In February Challenge I will have to use the DX razor the entire month.
A few days ago I decided to use the DX for a week in the Shave of the Week Society. Now I will have to sign up for the whole month.

By the end of February, I hope to improve my straight razor skills.

Please take care of yourself and each other.

Still in.

2 day worth of growth

January GRUME : 16
2023 GRUYERE : 16

Razor : Feather Popular 800-1B
Blade : Nacet (3)
Pre Shave : Proraso White
Soap (SOTM) : Proraso White tub
Brush : Simpsons Trafalgar T2
Aftershave: OSMA Alum Block, Clubman Pinaud

Well I guess we all have our own level of what a great shave is.

Did not shaved yesterday as the early morning was to hectic and something had to give. Did not felt like shaving in the evening as well.

This morning was not much different and went through a quick shave , got a few nicks but no irritation. And for me this is what a great shave is, easy to clean up nicks, no irritation and close enough shave that I feel comfortable all day.

Still in!

20230127_171646.jpeg

I had a pretty final shave with my SWS setup this evening, just as unspectacular as a walk in the park. That's not a bad thing. Not at all...it's been a very enjoyable, smooth and close shave... so there was not much left to be disired 😉

Tomorrow I'll choose a new SWS setup. Maybe some of you fine folks want to join the society?

Have some smooth shaves, Gentlemen!

Cheers
Guido

Last edited:
2023 GRUYERE #49 - Still in
January 2023 GRUME #18 - Still in

Date: 01.27.23
Days growth: 3

Head shaver

Razor: Gillette Tech Razor
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (3)
Brush: Ever Ready R40 Pure Badger

Pre-shave: Hot shower using Nablus soap block that I also used on my body applied with a facial scrub brush.

Lather: Face lather with Nablus soap block

Passes: 3

Post Shave Routine and products:
1 - Hot rinse with microfiber towel X2
2 - Cold rinse with microfiber towel X1
3 - Alum block
4 - Cold rinse with microfiber towel X1
5 - Aftershave - Grey Flannel EDT
6 - Balm: N/A

PROBLEM!!! - My alum block developed a hole (I learned it was a low quality pressed block which I knew nothing about). Today it slipped out of my hand and shattered. This large piece is left and I will smooth it down and try to use it. My question is, would Rule #11 apply here?

BrokenAlum.png

11. If a shaving item breaks in the restraint and you have no backup handy, one replacement may be purchased as an exception (example if the knot
comes out of your brush when traveling, a cheap brush or superglue to fix broken brush is deemed acceptable in the 2021 restraint). Forgetting
to pack your gear does not count, that will put you out.

Head shaver

Pre-shave: Hot shower using Nablus soap block that I also used on my body applied with a facial scrub brush.

3 - Alum block

PROBLEM!!! - My alum block developed a hole (I learned it was a low quality pressed block which I knew nothing about). Today it slipped out of my hand and shattered. This large piece is left and I will smooth it down and try to use it. My question is, would Rule #11 apply here?

View attachment 1595507

11. If a shaving item breaks in the restraint and you have no backup handy, one replacement may be purchased as an exception (example if the knot
comes out of your brush when traveling, a cheap brush or superglue to fix broken brush is deemed acceptable in the 2021 restraint). Forgetting
That's a bummer!

No "Rule 11" here; we just have "1.c.":
1.c. Members should have the necessary supplies to last the duration of the Restraint, but this is a Restraint, not a Sabbatical. If something breaks or runs out and you have no suitable or usable replacement, it can be replaced.

This applies to GRUME only. You'll have to check with the GRUYERE crowd to determine how that works.

(And I get the sense that this was a cut-and-paste post, which is fine, and explains how the rules differ.)

- Still In -
No Shave Today

Still in: Day 27 - Shave 27 with a Fatip Piccolo, Chubby 1 Super and MWF.

This morning's shave was pants... The lather pulled a Houdini and dissipated faster than you can say abracadabra! The soap has now been rehomed in the bin :devil:

I find MWF to be completely reliable and superb.
You just need to use a stick of Speick as pre-shave :001_wub:

Head shaver

3 - Alum block

View attachment 1595507

Not cool about your Alum block.
I have a block from Proraso that came with a hole in it from day one

Day 27, 87.1% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, KCG #7
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Balm

It got late, so I let the autopilot kick in for a DFS.

This morning's shave was pants... The lather pulled a Houdini and dissipated faster than you can say abracadabra! The soap has now been rehomed in the bin :devil:

MWF is a reliable workhorse here. The water is soft though, so most things will lather OK.

Date
365 days of shaving28/365 (100%)
GRUYERE28/365 (100%)
GRUME January28/31 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 3/3
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3
Other participations-

Passes2.5
WXTGN-S cheeks and neck
XWTGL:W-E
R:E-W
Neck: S-N
ATG
Cheeks and neck S-N

Razor
Blade
Brush
Timeless Ti95 SCBDorco Titan (4)DVH Synthetic
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splashDutchy Bergamot
Mostly bowl lathered
Cold splash
Witch hazel

Efficiency
Quality
8/10 (~20 minutes)9.5/10 (super small weeper)
EffectivenessComfort
7.5/10 (DFS/DFS+)
9/10 (buttery smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

Back to the top gun and this time paired with one of my favourite blades with only 4 shaves on it.

Bergamot lathers by just looking at it so no trouble whipping something beneficial to the shave. My cheapest brush made it all work. Very fond of this brush.

All in all a great start for the weekend!

Additional notes can be found here.

First round of dish soap, hot water, toothbrush & toothpick

The Super Slim Twist is solid and cleaned up nicely. The Slim Twist has two cracks on both sides of the handle so that you can remove the press fitted? Head completely.

View attachment 1595761
Those cracks are common on the Slim Twists, both white and black. Strangely enough. Out of 10 or more that I have, only one has cracks. And 2-3 have never been used.
Do you mean your head can be removed from the handle? Ususally even with cracks those razors hold well.

Top Bottom