What's new

January 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in

Pre-Shave: hot water & Skinfood
Lather: TOBS Sandalwood
Brush: Wilkinson sword classic
Blade: Gold Dollar 208
Strop: Razoremporium Beginner/travel
Post-shave: Cold water, alum block and Fuar Ach Snog

Last nights shave was shave was a bittersweet experience. The shave itself was good, wtg x2 + atg producing a dfs+ result without irritation or blood.

But on the negative side my beloved Beagle is dead :crying:

20220113_004045.jpg

It slipped from my fingers into the bath and shattered, one piece may have gone down the plug hole so simply supergluing it back together is not possible. If I can save the knot I will look for a replacement handle. If not than I shall look for another silvertip once I'm out of restraint.

Still in

Last nights shave was shave was a bittersweet experience. The shave itself was good, wtg x2 + atg producing a dfs+ result without irritation or blood.

View attachment 1392982

It slipped from my fingers into the bath and shattered, one piece may have gone down the plug hole so simply supergluing it back together is not possible. If I can save the knot I will look for a replacement handle. If not than I shall look for another silvertip once I'm out of restraint.
Oh no. What a misery. That's been a unique brush. I absolutely feel your pain. 😞

Last edited:
Still in

View attachment 1392982

That’s a bummer, my condolences :(

If the knot is salvageable then maybe Rudy can turn you a fitting eagleish/beaglelish handle…

FFMM interests me.
@Heavy_Metal_Hound. Bummer. That metal ring could perhaps be cut off leaving you the plastic cup that you could easily reset in a handle. But probably best to leave it to a pro.

@wmadoty good luck with that! :adoration:

I'm still in. Saw a nice sand ebonite handle that I'd had an eye out for that I almost pulled the trigger on, but this little gentleman's agreement gave me time to come to my senses. I have three handles sitting on my shelf that don't have knots in them yet. Carrying on.
Imagepipe_8.jpg

SOTD
Razor: Roman Empire Shaving Augustus
Blade: Astra SS (not my favorite blade but very good in this razor)
Soap: Homemade

Since Monday I have been shaving with this Razor that I picked up shortly after I started wet shaving because it was cheap and came with a 20-blade assortment. I remember the razor being more aggressive than I like and I cut myself with it so often that I pretty much gave up on it.

This week I have had four very nice shaves with this razor, good for me.

The razor holds the blade well but I don't care for the handle. The picture is not mine it was taken off of Amazon.

The Gillette Blue is a much better Razor in my opinion.

Capture.JPG

Still in.

The A Team:

IMG_20220113_204150.jpg

I received my Blackland Blackbird OC on Monday and have shaved with it a couple of times.

I strategically put off shaving with it on Monday itself because as it so happens with every new purchase that absolutely fall in love with it, and later on I realized that there was something that could be better.

So, I let my initial hype tone down a bit and shaved with it on Tuesday, Wednesday and Today.

Blade was supplied with the razor in crimp - Personna Super.

First shave was magical and I immediately felt the "up" in efficiency by the closeness of WTG pass itself.

WTG, XTG (x) 2 and then done - this was how I shaved with it for the first 2 shaves, so that I can gauge the efficiency wrt to my technique and skin preferences.

Today's shave consisted of ATG pass and it so happened that the blade died mid shave, so I didn't get a perfectly close shave today but the razor performed well.

I realized that I will definitely love the Blackbird and there is no doubt that blades will play a big part in the smoothness of the shaves.

I love this factor in the razors - as this is how I like getting 'personalized' efficiency from razors, and I don't keep the razors which don't behave sufficiently differently with different blades.

These shaves were the trial run for the Blackbird and with the change of blade (for next shave), actual induction in the rotation will happen.

I purchased the OC plate, and I honestly find the sensation of the Open Comb plate more like assurance (of firepower) than menacing, and I love it for the same.

I'd rather have more efficiency than I need and work on how to handle it, than needing to buff.

Stirling Duke is finally giving up and there is visible progress almost daily, it's a great feeling to see a tub almost empty, especially when I'm really new to this hobby.

Still in

View attachment 1392982

Oh no!!!!! RIP- rest in pieces....

Does anyone of you intend to join the FFMM ?
Yes, I will be in again.

SOTD
  • Rockwell 6S/R4
  • Derby Extra (21) from the December Derby
  • Mike's Lemongrass and Eucalyptus
  • Shavemac Butterscotch Beagle Fan
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Orange Chill ASB
  • Vintage Old Spice AS
Another reasonable one-pass shave. As much as I like a take-your-time shave, I like sleep more, and I seem to be getting precious little of it lately. The one-pass shave thing is my compromise and allows me to shave daily...or almost daily.

Onward!

Still in

View attachment 1392982

What a bummer!

If you hit a dead end and really want a Beagle replacement, let me know. I like my Butterscotch Fan , but there are other brushes that I like more. I might be open to a trade.

Top Bottom