What's new

January 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

still in - solid DFS+ shave, Krona & Nacet (3)
IMG_0956.jpg

SOTD #024/2022
24-Jan-2022

Still in.
20220124_125231-01.jpeg

I start out this week's log with an effortless & easy two pass shave with a lovely smooth razor/blade combo (free of nicks, almost bbs all over. I chose a steep angle and focused the audible feedback the razor provided. The .95 Lupo really did an amazing job on my skin.

Only one more week to go, Gents!

Cheers!

Soap: Stirling Coconut Lime
Razor: Le Grelot 6/8
Brush: Shavemac Beagle
Aftershave: Alum / Witch Hazel / Lilac Vegetal
Balm: Nivea Sensitive

Broke out the alum block for the first time in forever. I chose to not use it pretty early on when I got my first safety razor but figured I'd give it another shot for the next few days to see if it's something worth reimplementing. If not at home, perhaps for travel. I do remember my face being red and blotchy afterwards but it may have been from early poor shaving technique.

With that said, so far I'm experiencing the same thing. If it only sticks around for 10-15 minutes and my face feels great for the rest of the day I really don't mind, but time will tell. So far, I remember why I packed this thing away haha. I'll stick with it for a few more days though.

9/10. 1 weeper on the adams apple.

*edit* oh...Still in!

Last edited:
I managed to stave off buying more shaving soap for a few weeks with the January gentlemans restraint, but I've been knocked out by a restocking of a limited edition of a soap that I've been wanting for Summer and didn't want to risk missing out by waiting a week. I'll no longer be making you all cringe at my BlackBerry phone pics but may stop by to enjoy the great shots by others.

Seems like the weird blotchiness I got from the alum has cleared up and my face feels great. I don't think it was from shaving irritation because the initial application had hardly any sting. It showed up a little later. I did let it sit for a minute though, so tomorrow I'll leave it on for less time.

Probably wouldn't have searched my stash to use up things I already have if it weren't for GRUME which is why I like participating in this sort of thing.

Still in.

I've been down under the weather due to fever, chills and joint pains.

It had been horrendous past few days and now I'm feeling much better.
Fatigue is still there and it'll slowly go away.

Blackland Blackbird Open Comb is suiting me beautifully and after trying to ride the teeth for a few shaves, I'm back to riding the cap and now the shaves are excellent.

I'll be returning to shaving regularly, Blackbird and I need some time to get used to, this is undoubtedly the best (and most gorgeous) Open Comb razor (for me).

Day 24, 77.4% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: King C Gillette, Ti Handle, Boots #1 (German Personna)
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Balm, Hyaluronic Acid.

Tried having a serious shave with the King C Gillette. It wants to be used at a slightly different angle to my Rockwell and Game Changers, but it provided a reasonable and blood-free DFS.

Still in because group buy for contributors doesn’t count

Brush: Mozingo 26mm ZT3, I finally figured out with this knot you start with it dry then just gradually add water, both the ZT3 and the DG knots absorb water 💦 easily, once I learned how to control the water intake with them my lather stays nice and thick/slick. Both these knots are really incredible, they really add to my variety of brushes.

Blade: Timor (5)

Bowl: Captain’s Large Copper Bowl

Soap: MDC Original, I just love the scent of the original

Razor: WR2 SS SB 1.25mm w/ Timeless Ti Crown 👑 Handle

Post Shave: Ethos Unscented Skin Food, Hyaluronic Acid
32CEC48E-8F9F-417E-A70E-3EDFF45AB282.jpeg

Doug

And when a brother falls @Leverspro slipping on soap it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal
2) @Multum in parvo
3) @elmo_koffman - GRUYERE
4) @B_R_A_D - GRUYERE
5) @Doti B
6) @sandorfi
7) Timeclo - out (1/23: Brass Blackbird & soaps)
8) @Balin - GRUYERE
9) sarir97 - out (1/18: Tatara Nodachi plate)
10. @SharpieB
11. @spirograph (GRUME noob)
12. @Angus MacAngus - GRUYERE
13. @Roedeer
14. @Heavy_Metal_Hound
15) @linty1
16) @Kyle89
17) @hopper_64
18) @wmadoty - GRUYERE
19) @kjbarth - GRUYERE
20) @Stuart Ganis
21) @Cafebarian - GRUYERE