What's new

January 2021 Photo Contest: Something OLD

Theme: New (sort of) picture of something old. Old is subjective, so I will leave that up to the participators in the contest.

Rules:

- Entries are taken between August 1st/2020 and January 19th/2021.
- Post processing is allowed.
- When post processing is used please elaborate a bit on what you did.

Conditions:

- Winner of the January challenge picks a new theme and starts a new thread.
- You must be the photographer.
- One entry per month.
- Competition runs until the 19th of the month.
- Voting runs from 20th to the 26th of the month.
- The person with the most votes wins.

My great grandfather built this old road. It was originally a railroad track that he used to haul trees from the Atchafalaya basin, to his mill. The railway was built in 1907 and was then transformed into this old gravel road in 1937 or so when he started to buy cattle. The rails are still under this old road and it's not unusual to find an old railroad spike or two. I did this photograph 2 weeks ago. Don't know why it took me so long to discover it for photography. It's a 2 minute walk from my house. I photographed everything from here to the Gulf of Mexico and as far north as Shreveport and never once did it cross my mind to fashion an image of great Grandfathers old road. Until now.
Happy holidays folks.
proxy.php
Awesome...simply awesome.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Awesome...simply awesome.
Yes. That is really magnificent. I'm not gonna be wasting a good shot this month, lol!

No, I took a picture that I think is my avatar photo right now last week of the broken, weathered windmill over my well head. Has the first lasting snow of the season stuck on it.

My great grandfather built this old road. It was originally a railroad track that he used to haul trees from the Atchafalaya basin, to his mill. The railway was built in 1907 and was then transformed into this old gravel road in 1937 or so when he started to buy cattle. The rails are still under this old road and it's not unusual to find an old railroad spike or two. I did this photograph 2 weeks ago. Don't know why it took me so long to discover it for photography. It's a 2 minute walk from my house. I photographed everything from here to the Gulf of Mexico and as far north as Shreveport and never once did it cross my mind to fashion an image of great Grandfathers old road. Until now.
Happy holidays folks.
proxy.php

Beautifully shot and a great story. :thumbsup:

FarmerTan

If

If you consider yourself old, sure.
Let's just say I heard from reliable sources that he was there when dirt was being made.

Okay, my source was @Owen Bawn ! I couldn't hold it in any longer! The weight of my agreeing with him and us giggling about it was unbearable! Can you forgive us, @TexOkie Shaver ? ( Mostly me? Owen has enough friends.....)

Let's just say I heard from reliable sources that he was there when dirt was being made.

Okay, my source was @Owen Bawn ! I couldn't hold it in any longer! The weight of my agreeing with him and us giggling about it was unbearable! Can you forgive us, @TexOkie Shaver ? ( Mostly me? Owen has enough friends.....)
I don’t get what you’re trying to say, but I was one of the original engineers that worked with the team designing dirt. They didn’t get approval from the National Minerals Agency to actually begin making dirt for about 20 years after the prototype was made. There was a fear that once we started making dirt that it would overtake the planet. Foolish fears.

FarmerTan

I don’t get what you’re trying to say, but I was one of the original engineers that worked with the team designing dirt. They didn’t get approval from the National Minerals Agency to actually begin making dirt for about 20 years after the prototype was made. There was a fear that once we started making dirt that it would overtake the planet. Foolish fears.
You are either hilarious, or an engineer. If you are both, stay away from Psychiatrists. They have an even more warped sense of humor than you do. They'd love to lock you up!

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
The origin of dirt? It all begins with dust bunnies under the bed. If you don't get those dust bunnies outta there, in 800 or 1000 years you're eventually going to have to call an archaeologist and his crew in to find your bed with trowels and spoons.

FarmerTan

The origin of dirt? It all begins with dust bunnies under the bed. If you don't get those dust bunnies outta there, in 800 or 1000 years you're eventually going to have to call an archaeologist and his crew in to find your bed with trowels and spoons.
Pompeii, anyone? A beautiful place except for the dust!

My maternal Grandfather's pocket watch. He moved his wife and family from Minnesota to Southern Saskatchewan in 1904 to homestead. Made in Canton, Ohio 1897 (+ or -) 3 years. Had it serviced 10 years ago and still works great. If wound everyday it will lose about a minute over 5 days. I doubt the Timex Ironman watch that I wear now will last anywhere near that long!
IMG_4137.JPEG

This VW was an old project car of mine. I drove it for several years but it's been rusting away for quite a while. I've since had it hauled away. Back within the time frame of the contest I shot this picture of it. I took this with a Brownie #3 box camera. Since you can't get roll film for this camera any more I cut a piece of sheet film to fit and stuck the camera down in the weeds for a photo. I rephotographed the negative with my digital camera, inverted the image, and adjusted the levels and contrast in Raw Therapee.

MCDF3705.jpg

I’ll open the voting with a vote for #4. It Has a very dramatic composition and lighting. I love the thin strip of sunset under the ominous clouds. Great story as well!

#4 for me too. Great picture. I liked Saxonbowmans’ process for getting his picture. And I liked Troy’s idea for something old. Good job all.

Top Bottom