What's new

January 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in.
Razor: Karve SS CB SB-B I love this plate. Can fly around my face with it!
Blade: Gillette Platinum
Brush: Maggard 22mm SHD re-knot in maggard bronze resin handle (face lathered)
Bowl: Timeless (for soaking/cleaning)
Soap & A/S: Stirling Executive Man
Great shave this morning! Have a great day y’all!
916B254C-14DF-46F1-B90F-4C9349693A30.jpeg

Still in.

Preshave: Hot washcloth, KoS Blue oil
Soap: Arko, bowl-lathered
Brush: Men-U boar
Razors: GC.84 OC, Personna Super Platinum Chrome #7, GC.68, Astra SP #4
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

A DFS again, and the vintage blade is still good.

I looked up some aftermarket handles (Windrose), but I'm still only in idle research mode.

I'm thinking that a light ~ 84mm handle (probably aluminium, maybe titanium) would make game changer heads a lot more agile for ATG and tidy-up. Their standard "bulldog" handle feels too long and heavy, so currently I use the Rockwell handle: right length, great knurling, but still heavy.

Is anyone else obsessed with finding the perfect handle, or have I got some new AD?

I started Decemboar and used boars for all of December. I missed my badgers, but I learned a lot about my Semogues and Omegas in that month of use. It’s good to keep it interesting!
I hope to do the same. This is the month of getting delivery, then from next month I'll use same brush (boar) for some time.

I have yet to actually understand and get consistent results with my boars.
This will be a great opportunity for me.

Last edited:
Day 25 - Still in
PXL_20210125_153646901-01.jpeg
GEM Junior Elite / GEM Personna SS PTFE (x3)
XPEC Original
Maggard's Black & White
Hazlett's Apothecary 1888

With only 6 more days, I'm looking at the start of the February GRUME. I'm about to run out of my Tabac AS, but won't be completely out by Feb. 1 and I have other aftershaves available to me when I do run out. So my question is, is restocking before I run out when I have others I "could use" count as a legal restock on Feb. 1?

I'm out guys, purchased a finishing stone. Have been thinking about getting into honing/straights for a while and been wanting to restore the blade on a pair of rolls razors that my dad bought. Got surprising results with the rolls finishing off with an 8k, and actually been shaving with it the past few days. Visiting my parents in a week or two, and would like to bring down one of his functioning razors with a blade finished off on a 12k. Hence, the purchase.

Ain't going wild though. So far I'm only 1 for 3 with these restraints but it really has curbed quite a bit, and I'm thankful for you guys and this thread. I hope everyone is having a good day.
Son of a @#$&%. I’m out. Damn you Gifts and Care. Why did I have to peruse your selection of discounted Simpson brushes?

$55US (incl shipping) later and a Simpsons Eagle 3 Pure Badger incoming... and I am done for Jan. Too hard to pass on that price. I’m just too weak.

I was doing so well too! 😢

See y’all in Feb hopefully.
Today, I'm out...

Here is my internal justification:

After not shaving for close to a week, I decided I would get an open comb razor to tryout the next time this happens and went for a Parker 26C. I was planning on waiting until the end of this GRUME but the big South American River Company sent me a discount code so I decided to save myself some money and buy it this month. While I was checking out a Saponificio Varesino Opuntia (4.3) soap fell into my basket as did a Le Pere Lucien Oud Neroli soap.

As I had broken GRUME I figured I would pick up the blades I had my eye on after Decembers GRUME. I've been using the Gillette King C blades and really enjoyed using them so decided to go for some Gillette Platinum Whites bases on @henrickd 's recommendation of them being very similar if not one and the same. But then I had someone else tell me that they thought the King C were more like Nacets than Platinum Whites, so I figured I'd by a 5 blade tuck of each of them to compare for myself given how much YMMV plays a part in blades.

Then, something that has never happened to me occurred, I was overtaken by a freak incident of BAD... Instead of ordering just 1 pack of Nacets and 1 pack of Platinum Whites I also picked up packs of 14 other blades to try (I'll post a picture when they arrive to save me having to type them all out!).

Good luck to everyone in finishing out January, I will be back next month with some new blades to keep me occupied and off of shaving websites!

Yikes - I step away for a bit and this is what happens! It's okay, though, since lots of people spent more time in restraint than they had before. Learning to stretch your resistance is a process.

All y'all should feel free to play along at home. We'll be here next month, too.

And when a few brothers fall, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal
2) SharpieB - out (1/21: Simpson brush)
3) @RumpleBearskin
4) @Roedeer
5) @Owen Bawn
6) @‘Bout Time
7) @Sinnbad11
8) @SillyPancake
9) @CzechCzar
10) BigD - out (1/17: Lambda razor)
11) @Doti B
12) Kyle89 - out (1/20: Finishing stone)
13) @MaineYooper
14) @henrickd - Annual
15) @Pepin - Annual
16) @Schnitzel52
17) @redrako
18) @Contact_vs_Feedback - Annual
19) @4and20blackbirds
20) @Stuart Ganis
21) Abz88 - out (1/22: Parker 26C plus soaps plus blades)
22) Tomo - out (1/13: Honing oil)
23) @Jmp63 - Annual
24) @cryhavoc - Annual
25) @mattps1 - Annual
26) @AZBronco
27) @02flhtci
28) @hopper_64
29) @Leverspro
30) @JCarr - Annual
31) Vaporstang - out (1/14: SR)
32) @pdieten - Annual

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Yikes - I step away for a bit and this is what happens! It's okay, though, since lots of people spent more time in restraint than they had before. Learning to stretch your resistance is a process.

All y'all should feel free to play along at home. We'll be here next month, too.

And when a few brothers fall, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal
2) SharpieB - out (1/21: Simpson brush)
3) @RumpleBearskin
4) @Roedeer
5) @Owen Bawn
6) @‘Bout Time
7) @Sinnbad11
8) @SillyPancake
9) @CzechCzar
10) BigD - out (1/17: Lambda razor)
11) @Doti B
12) Kyle89 - out (1/20: Finishing stone)
13) @MaineYooper
14) @henrickd - Annual
15) @Pepin - Annual
16) @Schnitzel52
17) @redrako
18) @Contact_vs_Feedback - Annual
19) @4and20blackbirds
20) @Stuart Ganis
21) Abz88 - out (1/22: Parker 26C plus soaps plus blades)
22) Tomo - out (1/13: Honing oil)
23) @Jmp63 - Annual
24) @cryhavoc - Annual
25) @mattps1 - Annual
26) @AZBronco
27) @02flhtci
28) @hopper_64
29) @Leverspro
30) @JCarr - Annual
31) Vaporstang - out (1/14: SR)
32) @pdieten - Annual
Number 9 in it to win it

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

<snip>
I'm about to run out of my Tabac AS, but won't be completely out by Feb. 1 and I have other aftershaves available to me when I do run out. So my question is, is restocking before I run out when I have others I "could use" count as a legal restock on Feb. 1?
</snip>

Only a jerk quotes himself, so...

<snip>
Rules:
1.c. Members should have the necessary supplies to last the duration of the Restraint, but this is a Restraint, not a Sabbatical. If something breaks or runs out and you have no suitable or usable replacement, it can be replaced.
</snip>

The question is whether or not the other aftershaves you have are "suitable or usable" replacements. If your SO can't stand any of the others and you would be sleeping on the couch as a result of using them, they wouldn't be suitable because of the "adverse reaction" they would engender. If that's not the case, learn to love the non-Tabac aftershaves you have or start angling for a trade to get more of the Tabac AS (or both).

Top Bottom