What's new

January 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

I am out. I shouldn't have been in. I forgot that I had placed the opening bid on an "Antique Emil Thiel" straight razor on the auction site. At the time I assumed I would be out bid and totally forgot about it when entering. Lo and behold, I won it for $9.99.

Good luck to everyone else! I will catch you in February...

Still in.
Getting some rough shaves recently.
Shave Roulette has uncovered my lack of understanding of Wickham and CS-11 razor.
Today's shave was better, although I almost forgot how to weild a shavette since last time I used it months ago.

Omega 10098 is coming along, but still not good enough for my liking.

IMG_20210114_195231.jpg

Still in, and making a list of things that might be purchased. When I was in high school, my Dad told my brother and I to write on a note whatever the current "must buy" was, put the note in a drawer, and after a week, see if I still had to have it. So I am doing it now, but waiting for February!

Still in, and making a list of things that might be purchased. When I was in high school, my Dad told my brother and I to write on a note whatever the current "must buy" was, put the note in a drawer, and after a week, see if I still had to have it. So I am doing it now, but waiting for February!

I'm doing the same thing, although I'm hoping to put off purchase for a lot longer, but the idea is the same.

Anything that interests me now is added to the list and apart from some soaps, most of the items have lost my interest within 2 weeks.

The brush is an Omega Pro 49 boar that is easily removed from the original plastic handle (pressure fit, no glue) and put in an ebonite handle.
Gotcha, thank you! I may have to do that as I have a spare Omega Pro 49 sitting in the closet. I’ll just have to wait to get the right handle. Thank you again, have a great day!

Still in.

Preshave: Hot washcloth, Nuage oil
Soap: Palmolive, bowl-lathered
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: GC.84 SB, Personna Super Platinum Chrome #1
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

Time to test drive the vintage Personna (made in USA) blade. This may or may not be the same thing as a Personna 74.

This started out slightly rough, but smoothed out quickly before I'd finished WTG. Something to do with coatings, maybe? Got a near-BBS without any trouble. Whatever this is, it's a good blade.

I got 26 shaves out of the real thing, so will be interested to see how long this one lasts.

Here is the text on the back of the UK packaging:

DSCN4777_compressed.JPG

Blackland Blackbird Brass and Modern Williams with Aqua Velva.

Prep: Hot Shower
Soap: Williams Mug Soap
Razor: Blackland Blackbird Brass (OC and SB)
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (6)
Brush: Zenith Boar
AS: Aqua Velva Ice Blue (Eur)
ASB: Aqua Velva (Eur)

Just a great shave.
[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I'm still in. The Arko August Arko mashed in the mug is finally surrendering to the Williams underneath it, and that makes me happy, as I haven't had a Williams shave since July because it was buried under the Arko. So my job for the next 4 or 5 shaves is "Operation Dig Out the Williams." I'll be overloading some big brushes to scrape away the last of the Arko. Yesterday it was a Paladin Chief, a 26mm monster. Today, the Paladin Mandarin, another long handled 26mm big gun. Loaded a ridiculous amount of soap on there, and then scraped it off with an aging Shark SS in the Gillette red tip Super Speed. St Johns Lime Cologne to finish, a touch of summer sun amidst the ever gloom.

If I weren't in restraint I wouldn't be having this much fun. I feel good.

SOTyesterD
  • Rockwell 6S/4
  • Nacet (21)
  • The Mug of Gross
  • Semogue SOC Taj boar
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Spice ASB
  • Dominica Bay Rum AS
Lather pics, as promised after the first face-lather:

SOTD_09162020_1.jpg

SOTD_011421_2.jpg

Lather from the Mug of Gross is not pretty, but it's easy to whip up and it's slick as all get-out. :)

I'll shave again later today with the same set-up.

Oh, and there's CLBOS lurking the background!

Top Bottom