What's new

January 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Approaching 1/2 way ... Still in.
PXL_20210113_151428340-01.jpeg

Doing my best to get daily shaves, but work (both mine and SWMBO's) and the new-to-us puppy are making that tough. Had a nice one today, though.

SOTD
  • NEW LC (WTG), Rockwell 6S/4 (XTG/ATG)
  • Nacet (6, 20)
  • The Mug of Gross
  • Semogue SOC Taj boar
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Spice ASB
  • Dominica Bay Rum AS
The lather coming from the Mug of Gross is epic. Copious, slick and protective, likely because it's a melange of (the leftovers of) several quality soaps. I noticed today that I had a solid divot forming, so I did the old "thumb-press 'round the outside" trick to flatten it out again. I really should take a picture of the lather one of these days, before the mug is done!

I’m out - Honing oil

Sometimes it’s the little things that trip us up. After discovering how great the Coticule edges are when finished on oil, I went on a mission to find the best honing oil I could. I tried everything in the house from mineral oil, clipper oil, lamp oil and various mixtures of the above. Eventually the lure of the much touted Singer Sewing Machine oil was too strong and I bought a bottle to try... Works great BTW.

B3064805-C1D3-4DDE-B485-2D18A561302D.jpeg

I’m out - Honing oil

Sometimes it’s the little things that trip us up. After discovering how great the Coticule edges are when finished on oil, I went on a mission to find the best honing oil I could. I tried everything in the house from mineral oil, clipper oil, lamp oil and various mixtures of the above. Eventually the lure of the much touted Singer Sewing Machine oil was too strong and I bought a bottle to try... Works great BTW.

View attachment 1208338
Are you sure it isn’t for your sewing machine? 😜

Maybe I need to disassemble the dispenser.

Looking more closely at the Personna dispenser, it was clear that there was another blade adhering between them (rigged up to dispense from the other side?), that I could dislodge.

Cue some very careful work with a cocktail stick, and, after a while, voila, the dispenser has released :
DSCN4775_compressed.JPG

Now I have the first one extracted. Looks exactly like a P74, but no markings except the "Made in USA" and the arrows.

Test drive tomorrow.

Eventually the lure of the much touted Singer Sewing Machine oil was too strong and I bought a bottle to try... Works great BTW

My mother had an oval green metal can of that, circa 1965, that she used for all the domestic stuff. Is it still extant? (Edited to add) obviously it is, and maybe I should get some.

Last edited:
Williams Wednesday on a Thursday.

Classic Shaving Occams DE and Modern Williams with Aqua Velva.

Prep: Hot Shower
Soap: Williams Mug Soap
Razor: Occams DE (OC and SOC)
Blade: Astra SS (1)
Brush: Zenith Big Scrubby Boar
AS: Aqua Velva Ice Blue (Eur)
ASB: Aqua Velva (Eur)

Yesterday's shave was so great, I did it again with the Occams DE.
[IMG]

[IMG]

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
SS Shark, red tip Super Speed, Arko-mashed-in-a-mug, Paladin Chief, and vintage Gillette Sun Up. I'm wearing a J. Press Oxford broadcloth shirt and sweatpants. I'm sitting up straight in my recliner, ready to Zoom. If my colleagues could only smell me...
Still in restraint.

Top Bottom