What's new

January 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Broke out a fancy handle for the lupo, titanium so it's actually a bit lighter than the old razorock bulldog handle. The result was a nice shave with a more premium feeling razor thanks to a well designed handle.
I like the look of that. If I can get handles sorted out, that should be the end of "it's the hardware!" excuses, and I'll have to perfect my own results.

Problem seem to be at Badger and Blade server
I got that briefly a few days ago, but it soon went away. I'm in the UK if location is relevant.

Still in.
This morning's shave:
1611896857304.png

Proraso Blue and my mixed-hair knot in the vintage Gillette handle. Outstanding lather

The Gem was much better behaved today, after a quick palm stropping of the blade to avoid a repeat of the bloodletting it gave me last week.

Axe Marine smells good. Too bad I'm almost certain to never own another bottle after this one is gone.

Great shave

More pictures in What are you unpacking/ opening today, show pics or video, we love pics - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/what-are-you-unpacking-opening-today-show-pics-or-video-we-love-pics.495902/page-451, but I got my new handles already.

Here is the fatter of the two, fitted to my favourite ATG and tidy-up head, the Game Changer .68 safety bar. It doesn't show up well in the picture, but the knurling is great. The entire rig (Windrose handle + Game Changer .68 SB head + Astra SP) feels as light as a starving sparrow (51g by my scales).

I'm looking forward to the test drive.

DSCN4786_compresssed.JPG

I've heard that Parker 24C / 68S is a very gentle open comb razor, infact the Open Comb razor from Parker are their mildest offering.
Share your experiences with it and maybe tell us if this is true or not.
Hello, @Contact_vs_Feedback! I meant to drop by and post this earlier, but here were the results of my two weeks with the Parker (from my shave journal):

Alright, two weeks with the Parker and I'm looking forward to the next one. I've enjoyed this razor and it was nice to find another couple of blades that work for me. I had the best luck with the DuraBlade in this razor, but the Astra and Rapira were close behind. I never did get to a point where I had no alum feedback, but it was nothing bad. Two things I thought were interesting about the razor: as mentioned above, the quality of the shave seemed to be very dependent on the quality of the lather (more so than others I've tried) and I'm not sure I was ever able to distinguish a benefit from the open comb. Now, that could easily be because it's been a while since I used a safety bar DE. I'm going to give the Parker a 7 on comfort and a 6 on efficiency (because the results varied so much on my neck). It's definitely going to stay in the rotation.

I’ve been using the iKon X3 since then and love it—comfortable, zero blade feel, and efficient.

Oh, and still in! :straight:

@4and20blackbirds
Thank you for your response, it was good to hear from you.
I've talked to several people who use Parker razors (in India) and according to them the efficiency/ aggressiveness of Parker razors are as :

Open Comb < Butterfly type < Closed Comb

This is according to their experience, I use Parker Variant Adjustable and it is plenty aggressive with positive blade feel.

Since you're in a state of wanting more consistent and efficient shaves, I hope that you figure out what is lacking in the shave routine.

I'm using RazorRock Open Comb 84 for daily shaves, and it sure does depend upon the quality of lather for good shaves.

I'm using my sharpest blades with it (Gillette 7 O'clock Black, Supermax Platinum Plus), as this eliminates the need to repeat the strokes in an area, and thus eliminating the chance of irritation for me.

I hope that you can start getting autopilot irritation free shaves soo.

Still in

The end of the line for the King C Gillette blade. I managed to get 24 head shaves out of it. That’s a pretty good number. It was comfortable until the last two shaves. Blades last a lot longer with head hair compared to beard hair. I think the KCG is a great blade but I don’t believe it’s worth the crazy high price. It’s by far the most expensive DE blade I own. I’m going to start over with a Gillette Platinum “White” and play the same game.

Leaf w/King C Gillette (24 and binned) - head shaves only

Twig w/King C Gillette 1/2 blade (binned) - neck and beard trims only

Zenith B03-A26-L (aka B28)

PAA Black Bot CK-6

Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel

I’ve been using boar brushes through DecemBOAR and January. After two months I’m ready to start rotating through all my brushes again.

Last edited:
Day 31 over here. I'd say it's a wrap for me buying.

Today's shave:
Rex Ambassador set on 3
Wilkinson Sword vintage white (day 3)
Simpsons Chubby 3 Manchurian
TOBS Sandalwood Soap

Not my best shave, I didn't get enough lather going, probably insufficient water in the brush. I find I get some drag with the Rex's safety bar if there is not enough slickness in the lather/skin. Shaving ATG was also very uncomfortable, i'm guessing due to poor lathering or maybe the blade had just given up the ghost. There is always tomorrow :letterk1:

Good to those still remaining on finishing up Jan without any purchases!

Top Bottom