What's new

January 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in.

Preshave: Hot washcloth, Nuage oil
Soap: Palmolive, bowl-lathered
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: Rockwell 6S, R3, Personna 74 #25
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

After a week of dual Game Changer .84s, felt like a change, so used the 6S to put another shave on the tungsten steel blade. Either it's wearing out, or I didn't pick the ideal Rockwell plate for it. Near DFS.

Musky Monday.

Blackland Blackbird Brass and Modern Williams with Aqua Velva Musk

Prep: Hot Shower and Bloom/Lather Building Water
Soap: Williams Mug Soap
Razor: Blackland Blackbird Brass (OC and SB)/Merkur Mustache and Eyebrow Razor
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (4)/Merkur Mustache and Eyebrow Blade (09)
Brush: Omega 48 Pro
AS/EdC: Aqua Velva Musk

Just a great shave.
[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Still in, decided to switch things up and compare a Truefitt & Hill Sandalwood Sample to the Saponificio Bignoli Indian Sandalwood sample I used all of last week (so far SB has it beat) and also try out a King C Blade in my Edwin Jagger DE86 (performed similarly to my top two blades in this razor).

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Clinique for Men Charcoal Face Wash
- Sukin Pore Refining Facial Scrub
- Clinique for Men Exfoliating Tonic
- King of Shaves Advanced Shave Oil
- Truefitt & Hill Sandalwood Cream (sample)

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- The Ordinary Hyaluronic acid
- Jack Black Protein Booster Skin Serum
- Truefitt & Hill Sandalwood Aftershave Balm (sample)
- Jack Black Double Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- Edwin Jaggwr DE86
- Gillette King C (1)
- Antica Barberia Mondial Boar

Still in.

I’m beginning to feel the end of the King C Gillette. I’m at 19 head shaves with it and I usually start struggling with a quality blade at around 20 shaves. Keep in mind, head hair is finer and my scalp is tougher then my face. I’d never play this game with my face.

For some reason I struggled with lather today. It’s been a long time since that has happened. I used a PAA CK-6 so it has to be something I screwed up without thinking. A person with no arms or legs can build a good lather with that without much trouble.

-Leaf w/King C Gillette (19) - head shaves only
-Twig w/King C Gillette (4) - neck and beard edging only
-PAA Black Bot CK-6
-Zenith B03-A26-L (B28)
-Thayers Unscented Witch Haz
-Black Bot AS

-Captain’s Choice heavy copper bowl
-SB bowl

Still in.

I’m beginning to feel the end of the King C Gillette. I’m at 19 head shaves with it and I usually start struggling with a quality blade at around 20 shaves. Keep in mind, head hair is finer and my scalp is tougher then my face. I’d never play this game with my face.

For some reason I struggled with lather today. It’s been a long time since that has happened. I used a PAA CK-6 so it has to be something I screwed up without thinking. A person with no arms or legs can build a good lather with that without much trouble.

-Leaf w/King C Gillette (19) - head shaves only
-Twig w/King C Gillette (4) - neck and beard edging only
-PAA Black Bot CK-6
-Zenith B03-A26-L (B28)
-Thayers Unscented Witch Haz
-Black Bot AS

-Captain’s Choice heavy copper bowl
-SB bowl
Ck6 is incredible stuff. Mitchell's Wool Fat is the only thing I have found that's is remotely comparable in the slickness department and it pales significantly in the cushion department. Ck6 is overall best performing soap ime.

Ck6 is incredible stuff. Mitchell's Wool Fat is the only thing I have found that's is remotely comparable in the slickness department and it pales significantly in the cushion department. Ck6 is overall best performing soap ime.

It absolutely is great stuff. 50% of my soaps are PAA CK-6. I actually don’t remember ever having a bad lather before. I have no idea what I did but it had to be human error on my part. Especially since I’ve been using this particular tub quite a bit lately trying to 3017 it. I can’t blame it on quality control at PAA [emoji3]

***Actually 57%***

It absolutely is great stuff. 50% of my soaps are PAA CK-6. I actually don’t remember ever having a bad lather before. I have no idea what I did but it had to be human error on my part. Especially since I’ve been using this particular tub quite a bit lately trying to 3017 it. I can’t blame it on quality control at PAA [emoji3]

***Actually 57%***
I need to try it, but PAA CK6 is twice the price as Stirling in Canada. I find it hard to spend more than $25CAD for soap and PAA is almost $40 here. Maybe I’ll get lucky on BST.

I need to try it, but PAA CK6 is twice the price as Stirling in Canada. I find it hard to spend more than $25CAD for soap and PAA is almost $40 here. Maybe I’ll get lucky on BST.

Well (clears throat), I bet there is someone in this thread where 57% of their soaps are PAA CK-6 and also have unused spare tubs of their favorites. They may be open to trade. Especially since there is no hope of them all being used up in under five years. Oh, and that person might be in a class that PAA gives a discount to.

Last edited:
Well (clears throat), I bet there is someone in this thread where 57% of their soaps are PAA CK-6 and also have unused spare tubs of their favorites. They may be open to trade. Especially since there is no hope of them all being used up in under five years. Oh, and that person might be in a class that PAA gives a discount to.
I am in the same boat. Let me see what I have lying around. 👍

I just checked my fun money account and was shocked how much money was in it. I scrolled back until October (I started my first GRUME in November) and could see the difference. Spending discipline is a good thing and the GRUME definitely helps to keep a person honest.
Same here.

Although not going out for dinner, hockey and baseball games or concerts, going on vacation, going out for lunch at work and not having to pay for clothes, dry cleaning and gas sure does help!

Top Bottom